Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Chickens / Kaparos

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:58 pm
If you do kaparos using live chickens, and you're pregnant, do you do 3 chickens, one for yourself, and one of each gender for the baby? Did you decide for yourself which to do, or did you ask your Rav?
I hate doing kaparos, but do it once a year because it's a strong minhag in our family and husband would be upset if I broke it. We have discussed many times that it isn't spiritual or meaningful for me, I don't use it as a time to pray, but it stills satisfys him if I go so I do it not to cause a rift.
However, this year he thinks I need to do at least two chickens, possibly 3. I told him we should call our Rav, I'm o.k. doing one bonus chicken but not two.
Just wondering what others do.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:10 pm
2. One zachar and one nekeivah. We use only 2 for our family so I just ducked under with the boys, as well as with the girls.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:10 pm
The custom includes doing one of each gender for the baby. Our family minhag is just to use one male chicken for all the males in the family and one female chicken for all the females in the family, so I just use both the male and female when pregnant (for a total of 2).

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:17 pm
Ideally, what I was advised to do was 3 chickens (2 females, 1 male) when I was pg. This is what I did when I lived somewhere that brought in chickens for everyone.

Since I've lived in a community where they just bring in 1 of each for the entire community, when pg, I just stand kind of between the men and women.

The last few years, I've just done money because the only opportunity to do it in town was completely not convenient.

So, basically, that probably doesn't answer you what to do other than to be confident that I'm sure you'll find a way to do it "right" since there are a lot of options.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:19 pm
I asked a rav and because our minhag is every family member gets their own chicken I was told to do 3- one for me and one male and one female for baby. Its not really big deal because you can do as many chickens at a time as you want.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:44 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I asked a rav and because our minhag is every family member gets their own chicken I was told to do 3- one for me and one male and one female for baby. Its not really big deal because you can do as many chickens at a time as you want.

Thanks, I guess maybe I'll do 2 at a time, may make it easier if I have to do 3. Didn't think of that.
My family minhag was to do 1 for all girls 1 for all boys, but my husband gets each of us a separate chicken so it would be 3. I do know what I'm having and I'd really prefer not to do 3 but if that's what the Rabbi says then that's what I'll do.
It may not be a big deal to you, but if I'm posting about it it's obviously something that's bothering me.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:54 pm
If you do kapparot with live chickens please be careful to avoid tzaar baalei Chayim

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:21 pm
I do three. Put all 3 into a box. Just have your husband lift box on top of your head.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur