Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Should I feel guilty?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:29 pm
Hi ladies, I wanted to ask you for help on what I should do or how I should feel.
I'm in Israel, there's a lockdown and only essential stores can be open. I just noticed that 2 of my kids desperately need new shoes. So some stores are delivering but I really wanted to go in person to make sure I like the shoe, quality etc. Someone told me about a store that if you knock the guy only lets a certain amount of ppl in at a time. So I went. Basically he had something I liked but it was more expensive than I wanted to pay. Just for some background- I am completely non confrontational, never bargained, ever. And I am a ppl pleaser... Anyway, I said I'll think about it because it's a bit out of my budget especially because I'm buying 2. So he said I'll give it to you for less. I said that's still out of my budget. He asked how much I wanted to pay and I told him, he said okay I'll give it to you, what am I supposed to do in these crazy times...
So I ended up telling him to charge a bit more than I wanted even though he was going to go down to that price.
There was also another woman there that heard the whole thing (he wasn't quiet about it) and it seemed she was going to ask for the lower price too.
When I came home and told my husband, he's a very generous soul, he said I should call him back and give him the full amount.
I feel like I wasn't even trying to bargain him, I really thought I can find cheaper elsewhere.
So what do you guys think? Should I feel guilty?
Thanks for reading if you read this far!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:32 pm
You are good, but remember his eagerness to work with you the next time you need to buy shoes and patronize his store if you can, even if it is only occasionally.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
You are good, but remember his eagerness to work with you the next time you need to buy shoes and patronize his store if you can, even if it is only occasionally.

That's a great idea! Thank you.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:44 pm
About violating the lockdown? Yes, you should feel guilty. There was plenty of warning before it started, to get done non-essential things.

About accepting a lower price from someone who is also violating the lockdown, and profiting off the backs of stores that are operating legally (ie closed)? No reason to feel guilty.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:47 pm
I don't see any reason to feel guilty!!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:48 pm
It shows how desperate the guy is to make the sale. It's really been challenging for retailers across the board. I hope this year brings lots of parnossa for everyone.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
About violating the lockdown? Yes, you should feel guilty. There was plenty of warning before it started, to get done non-essential things.

About accepting a lower price from someone who is also violating the lockdown, and profiting off the backs of stores that are operating legally (ie closed)? No reason to feel guilty.

It was within my 1000 m if that makes a difference to u Tongue Out

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:43 pm
My heart goes out to all of these businesses that suffered before Pesach.shoes I guess you would probably buy any time but I feel people buy things before holidays that they wouldn't normally. We went out and bought a few things before the lockdown and I know that the store keepers were very appreciative of our business.
I needed to go to the hardware store which was considered essential and it was packed and most people didn't have a mask on
I was pretty upset about it and should have left right away but for some reason I didn't.
I'm glad that you're able to get your kids shoes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:53 pm
twizzlers1 wrote:
My heart goes out to all of these businesses that suffered before Pesach.shoes I guess you would probably buy any time but I feel people buy things before holidays that they wouldn't normally. We went out and bought a few things before the lockdown and I know that the store keepers were very appreciative of our business.
I needed to go to the hardware store which was considered essential and it was packed and most people didn't have a mask on
I was pretty upset about it and should have left right away but for some reason I didn't.
I'm glad that you're able to get your kids shoes.

My heart goes out to them as well, that's why I felt guilty.
Everyone I've seen has been wearing masks, in legal and not legal stores.
Thanks!

dankbar

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:08 pm
Think of storeowner who is trying to accomodate you & then being pushed down. He is taking a risk. In such a time, when you are desparate for shoes, you pay the price, as there isn't much choice

silverlining3

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:47 pm
There are still good people out there.. That store-owner is one of those.

As one poster mentioned, remember this good deed and support him the next time you need shoes again, would be a very nice thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics