Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is my 4 month old baby eating too much :(
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:34 pm
My baby will be 4 months old in 2 days and she’s on formula only. She eats 4-6 ounces every 3 hours and when we try to space it longer she cries and cries. She weighs 15.5 pounds and looks and feels so heavy to me and I feel like I’m causing her to be fat:( I tried nursing but wasn’t producing enough milk and I’m nervous I’m doing something wrong. How much formula should a 4 month old be taking?? (Pediatrician was not concerned and said to give her as much as she wants but did say she’s in 75th percentile in weight)

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:36 pm
Do NOT worry about fat at this age!!!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:42 pm
Sounds perfectly normal to me that's how much my 4 month old eats at a feeding. Most of my babies were in the 90th percentile for height and weight and are perfectly average now so I wouldn't think twice about 75th percentile. My current baby is actually small-average and I miss the cute pudge!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Sounds perfectly normal to me that's how much my 4 month old eats at a feeding. Most of my babies were in the 90th percentile for height and weight and are perfectly average now so I wouldn't think twice about 75th percentile. My current baby is actually small-average and I miss the cute pudge!

This is SO comforting please tell me more details about your babies at 4 months because someone told me my baby is too fat and heavy and made me feel so sad and hurt cuz I do worry we’re feeding her too much and it’s all my fault for giving up on nursing so early 😩

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is SO comforting please tell me more details about your babies at 4 months because someone told me my baby is too fat and heavy and made me feel so sad and hurt cuz I do worry we’re feeding her too much and it’s all my fault for giving up on nursing so early 😩

Why on earth would someone say that? What a cruel thing to say. My babies are also really big- think 90th percentile- and they thin out as soon as they start to walk. I love that they're big! Just adds to their cuteness!
Please please please don't think your baby is fat!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:01 pm
Please don’t space out the feedings any longer...your poor baby will go hungry! Don’t worry about fat at this age ... at this age a “fat” baby is the ultimate compliment! Enjoy every pound of deliciousness Very Happy

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:05 pm
Oy, OP, it's so terrible when people make such cruel comments.

Please do NOT worry about your baby becoming too heavy! They thin out when they start moving more, crawling, and walking.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:08 pm
It's so funny, nobody considers it an issue for a baby to be fat... unless they're born fat! My babies are usually over 10lb and people consider it such a problem! I think fat babies are adorable. As everyone said, they settle on a different weight once they become active.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Please don’t space out the feedings any longer...your poor baby will go hungry! Don’t worry about fat at this age ... at this age a “fat” baby is the ultimate compliment! Enjoy every pound of deliciousness Very Happy

Thank you for your kind words

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don't have the formula/nursing guilt! I breast fed and had babies that were chunky and loved to nurse tons.
If you are so concerned then see if there is someone else you could go to who you would trust their medical opinion on the matter. But seriously that is so odd that someone commented on your baby's weight and size in that way.

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:11 pm
1)your baby sounds perfect to me, and I think you should feed your baby as much as wanted.

2) some babies eat more and some less naturally. They are following their needs,

3) It’s normal for formula fed babies to be in higher percentiles when they are babies Than nursing babies Wink

4) all my babies were high percentage like that until they started crawling and walking

5) if it makes you feel better my youngest was eating almost 2oz before we left the hospital, and around a month almost 3-4 oz. always had to tell the medical staff twice because they thought I was mistaken. Doctor said she’s fine. Let her eat. Even when her percentile went down a little ,doctor instructed me to try to give her a 2 oz before bed. Hope it helps, feel better. Wink

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

All my babies were formula fed and my kids are healthy, smart wonderfully normal children b'H. You do what's best for you and your family.
Each of my babies ate different amounts and slept different amounts. Some ate every 2 hours during the day, and none of my babies went more than 3 hours during the day. I also found that they went up in oz per feeding very quickly the first few months but then it evened out and they never really ate more than 6 oz a feeding.
Really the most important thing to remember is that each baby is different and there is no one normal.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:19 pm
As soon as your baby starts crawling/walking, she’ll slim down. Enjoy the pudge while it lasts!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:56 pm
Thanks everyone

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:56 am
No your baby is not eating too much.
She belongs chubby!

Today’s society is so pathetic that we want to put infants on Optavia and weight watchers Crying

rachelbg

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:28 am
Your baby sounds perfect, OP.

With my first baby, I felt the same way. People made such comments about my daughter’s size, and it really worried me. I felt nervous, guilty and embarrassed. Said baby is now a beautiful (and also very slim) middle schooler.

She (and all our kids) bH looooove to eat, so we’re just mindful of giving them smart, healthy food choices.

Turns out, in our family, 16 lbs at 4 mos is our norm! All my kids have been round, pudgy babies and toddlers, except for one- and he’s the one that worried me! (In the 80th percentile, lol!)

It took me a little while to learn that pudgy babies are so adorable and wonderful, and that their weight stabilizes more at 18 mos. Once they’re up and running, most babies shed most of their leg-rolls, wrist fats, multiple chins... enjoy it while it lasts!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:52 am
My breast fed baby was in the ninetieth percentile. My next breast fed baby was a skinny small little thing. It’s mostly genetics.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:05 am
The body shaming must stop! Forget what a busybody has to say, only go by what your doctor says.

My DD was diagnosed "failure to thrive" at first. The doctor said to feed her more often, because she was a "sleepy feeder" and would fall asleep at the breast or bottle, just to wake up 20 minutes later and be starving - and then fall asleep again. It took us a while to figure out how to train her into a better pattern.

By the time she was 5 months old, she was 55% percentile for height, and 105% for weight! Surprised I couldn't even snap a onesie around her chubby little thighs. The doctor said she was "a full figured gal", and wasn't the least bit worried. I asked him "Are you sure? She's off the charts!" He told me to "Keep calm and carry on. Let her eat as much as she wants."

Sure enough, shortly after that she started crawling, and then cruising, and then she was walking on her own by 9 months. The weight redistributed, and a good portion of that fat turned into muscle.

Your child will probably go through growth spurts and phases, where she will be chunky, and then tall, and then chunky again. Most girls' weight doesn't really settle until well into puberty! (and for some of us, it still fluctuates a lot. I mostly blame Ben and Jerry's for that. Ice cream Wink )

I've known plenty of really chunky 13 year old girls, and when I see them again at 14 or 15, they are statuesque beauties.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:06 am
Op your baby is FINE.
My 98th percentile in height and 95th percentile in weight fat fat fat kid is now super skinny and taller tha average..... She is so thin I wish she would eat more!!!! As a 2 year old she fit into 4t clothing with wise. At 5 she STILL fit into the same tops!!! Even though she was gaining weight as she grew older, she was super active and her weight redistributed.

Same with my super tiny skinny scrawny 10th percentile baby. Shes actually in 11th percentile in weight and 20th for height at 5 years old. Also would be nice if she ate more..... Lol.

Orher kids fall bebtween the 2 sizewise.

What can I tell you? The fatter the baby the happier. My skinny baby was a misserable baby. Give her her good. She needs it. All my kids were breast fed. And my kid was super fat anyway. My niece was "off the charts" and breast fed.

Oh, and massage those fat rolls. They go away too fast!!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:08 pm
Thanks everyone, my baby was born 7”4 I don’t know how she got so heavy so quickly I’m definitely very sore from holding her! But I will try to enjoy the fat rolls 🤗
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics