Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is there a reason to test?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:28 am
Mama Bear wrote:
The problem is ,this is not 'once and for all'.... the weather is changing, winter is coming, and every time you get a cough you'll be running to get tested.... it's never ending.
I personally have 1-3 viral episodes a year, where I'm sick for 24-48 hours and then I'm fine. (pre-covid) or I catch strep from my 7 yr old. I am not interested in having an ice pick go through my brain every time I feel ill.

I guess everyone knows their own body... I can feel the difference between a simple cold and something more nefarious. When I get body chills and joint aches and brain fog I know it's a virus. When I have fever it's almost always strep.

In any case I had the 'rona back in March and hope that I don't catch it again....

I think it's more a matter of adjusting our expectations for this sniffle season.

Unfortunately, as much as our community wants life as normal, the responsible way to go about avoiding large scale interruptions (like school/shul closures chv) is to deal with occasional interruptions to normalcy on an individual level.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:31 am
Mothers wrote:
The laws of lashon harah are complex and should not be taken lightly - but being quick to ascribe malice and bad intent to other Jews in aseres yemei teshuva should not be done lightly, either.

He tells everyone meaning his patients. He isnt taking out ads in the local papers to advertise his views. If you didn't know about this yet then apparently it's not common knowledge. Why do I feel like this is going in circles?

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I love such posts. Banging head It's aseres yemei teshuva. Do you think I will tell you LH just because I'm anonymous? You have no need to know the name of my kids' pediatrician. If you use him, you already know this is his philosophy, so if your kids' doctor does not sound like this, you don't have to worry.

I'm pretty sure they are asking because they don't actually believe your pediatrician made that comment. People have quoted my children's pediatrician having said similar comments but when I asked him about it, he said that it had been entirely taken out of context and misconstrued what he said. He is rather lax in regard to COVID, but he has had children hospitalized with it and definitely does not believe people should be exposing relatives or people at random. He is more of the opinion that people should let it circulate amongst children but that people should know who is infected so that they can make sure to never expose people "at random." That is very different than "do not test and just run around and infect everyone." I personally have a different opinion than my children's pediatrician, but his opinion is more nuanced that many people suggested on this site.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:40 am
nchr wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are asking because they don't actually believe your pediatrician made that comment. People have quoted my children's pediatrician having said similar comments but when I asked him about it, he said that it had been entirely taken out of context and misconstrued what he said. He is rather lax in regard to COVID, but he has had children hospitalized with it and definitely does not believe people should be exposing relatives or people at random. He is more of the opinion that people should let it circulate amongst children but that people should know who is infected so that they can make sure to never expose people "at random." That is very different than "do not test and just run around and infect everyone." I personally have a different opinion than my children's pediatrician, but his opinion is more nuanced that many people suggested on this site.

I posted what he told me pretty recently, direct quote. you don't have to believe me, I could care less. he even told more unbelievable stuff but that I had brains not to post in the first place. I would also venture to say that by the amount of likes that post got there are others here on imamother who are using the same doctor or whose doctor says the same thing.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:43 am
my son had the symtoms you describe and additionally he had a fever, chills, aches, etc......not bad, but it was all there. I had him tested and we are waiting for the results

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
He tells everyone meaning his patients. He isnt taking out ads in the local papers to advertise his views. If you didn't know about this yet then apparently it's not common knowledge. Why do I feel like this is going in circles?

I agree that this is going around in circles - so, I’m done.

amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I love such posts. Banging head It's aseres yemei teshuva. Do you think I will tell you LH just because I'm anonymous? You have no need to know the name of my kids' pediatrician. If you use him, you already know this is his philosophy, so if your kids' doctor does not sound like this, you don't have to worry.

Just want to point out that the tone of this post is overly accusatory and very quick to ascribe malice and ill-intent. If you had skipped the first three or four sentences, it might have been just a neutral and/or informative reply. “Onaat Devarim is the prohibition to say anything that would pain, anger, hurt, frighten, bother or embarrass another person.”
(Source: https://www.halachipedia.com/I.....lings).

That should also be avoided in aseres yemei teshuva (and at all other times).

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I posted what he told me pretty recently, direct quote. you don't have to believe me, I could care less. he even told more unbelievable stuff but that I had brains not to post in the first place. I would also venture to say that by the amount of likes that post got there are others here on imamother who are using the same doctor or whose doctor says the same thing.

But even quoting verbatim what someone said does not mean that you grasped the entire nuance of the comment. That's definitely the case with my child's pediatrician. We may have the same one. I didn't say I don't believe you. I believe it is possible he said that and I also believe it is possibly he meant something more nuanced like let it spread it school but not at random etc. There are obviously going to be doctors with differing opinions, there will be more conservative cautious doctors and more reckless ones, and people in between. I really do not think there is any doctor worthy of a license that would recommend exposing grandparents to COVID19 but that doesn't mean the doctor wouldn't poo poo testing. Nuance.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:57 am
nchr wrote:
But even quoting verbatim what someone said does not mean that you grasped the entire nuance of the comment. That's definitely the case with my child's pediatrician. We may have the same one. I didn't say I don't believe you. I believe it is possible he said that and I also believe it is possibly he meant something more nuanced like let it spread it school but not at random etc. There are obviously going to be doctors with differing opinions, there will be more conservative cautious doctors and more reckless ones, and people in between. I really do not think there is any doctor worthy of a license that would recommend exposing grandparents to COVID19 but that doesn't mean the doctor wouldn't poo poo testing. Nuance.

I didnt say anything about exposing grandparents and I dont know where it comes in here. I quoted what he said regarding testing.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I didnt say anything about exposing grandparents and I dont know where it comes in here. I quoted what he said regarding testing.

Because even if he said that re testing he probably has a more nuanced recommendation in regard to exposing people at random, and most posters on this board are going to jump to the conclusion and skip the nuances.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:43 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Just want to point out that the 34,2000 flu deaths is an ESTIMATION based on excess deaths during that period. Only several thousand were definitive.

Covid has reached 200,000 definitive deaths, with the excess deaths even higher.

The amount of deaths recorded for covid is really much lower than actually happened. The hospitals get money for each recorded covid cases so they marked Covid as cause of death for many many patients when that really wasnt the case. Also because no one had immunity, it was going around much more rapidly so the hospitals were very overwhelmed and many people died just because of that. Now that #1 the medical world knows how to deal with it better and #2 the hospitals arent overwhelmed, its not such a big deal if someone gets covid. Therefore, I dont believe people should be running to test themselves or their kids.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
The amount of deaths recorded for covid is really much lower than actually happened. The hospitals get money for each recorded covid cases so they marked Covid as cause of death for many many patients when that really wasnt the case. Also because no one had immunity, it was going around much more rapidly so the hospitals were very overwhelmed and many people died just because of that. Now that #1 the medical world knows how to deal with it better and #2 the hospitals arent overwhelmed, its not such a big deal if someone gets covid. Therefore, I dont believe people should be running to test themselves or their kids.

I don't fall for these conspiracy theories. As I said, the excess deaths are way higher anyway.

I do agree however, that we now know better how to treat it and therefore it will result in less deaths. That still doesn't mean we should stop taking precautions, there ARE still thousands of people dying from it.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:23 pm
Just sharing my experience.
A few weeks ago I had a really bad cold and was extremely congested. I knew I had slept in a freezing cold room and developed the cold two days later. I had no other symptoms and therefore did not test for Covid.
I now have Covid- symptoms are nausea, vomiting, fatigue, no appetite, headache, and a week into being sick I got congested and have a cold.
As soon as I started feeling very nauseous, my husband and I got tested since as we were discussing the sudden vomiting, we found out someone we had been with tested positive.
I honestly would say if it’s a cold and zero other symptoms, I wouldn’t worry. If there’s anything else even without fever- get a test. It’s not such a big deal and a rapid test won’t register with the health dept but can give you accurate results and you can act accordingly.
Additionally, I don’t know if this was mentioned on this thread or not- there isn’t really something like a false positive result. A false negative, yes, but if you test positive- you have the virus.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:49 pm
I dont see a reason to test if your sick stay home. Dr shanik says that the one who tests positive doesnt even have to quarantine 24 hours after feeling better so whats the point of testing or quarantining?

When I called recently, they did not say that - you need a minimum amount of days to pass, I don't remember the amount.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cold symptoms. Runny nose which turned into wet, clogged nose, lots of nose blowing, which leads to coughing up phlegm. No other symptoms, no fever, no loss of smell or taste. Feeling lousy like every time when have a cold
To me this a basic cold. I don’t see why I need to jump to corona... but wondering ur thoughts.

I got contradicting advice. Dr. Shanik's office thought an adult with a cold should be tested. But they do change their answer depending on which secretary I get and what their mood is or whatever.

But I had an appointment in one of the Chemed departments. At the front door they took temps and did a questionnaire. I was upfront that my husband had a cold, but they didn't care as it wasn't accompanied by fever and aches.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Just sharing my experience.
A few weeks ago I had a really bad cold and was extremely congested. I knew I had slept in a freezing cold room and developed the cold two days later. I had no other symptoms and therefore did not test for Covid.
I now have Covid- symptoms are nausea, vomiting, fatigue, no appetite, headache, and a week into being sick I got congested and have a cold.
As soon as I started feeling very nauseous, my husband and I got tested since as we were discussing the sudden vomiting, we found out someone we had been with tested positive.
I honestly would say if it’s a cold and zero other symptoms, I wouldn’t worry. If there’s anything else even without fever- get a test. It’s not such a big deal and a rapid test won’t register with the health dept but can give you accurate results and you can act accordingly.
Additionally, I don’t know if this was mentioned on this thread or not- there isn’t really something like a false positive result. A false negative, yes, but if you test positive- you have the virus.

The two bolded statements are false.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:21 pm
Simple1 wrote:
When I called recently, they did not say that - you need a minimum amount of days to pass, I don't remember the amount.

I know someone in lakewood who just yesterday tested postive and dr shanik said just that that 24 hours after she feels better she doesnt need to quarantine

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
The person whos sick should be quarantining whether waiting for results or not (maybe can stop with a negative test-debatable). The rest of the family doesn't have to quarantine while he waits.

Oh yes indeed here in Bergen county the school rules are everyone stays home while someone in the house is awaiting covid test results

My4Jewels

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:04 pm
I know someone in lakewood who just yesterday tested postive and dr shanik said just that that 24 hours after she feels better she doesnt need to quarantine

What??

This is the cdc guidelines for when you test positive:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

It says thats 10 days should pass from the onset of symptoms AND 24 hours fever free

Additionally if you have symptoms and test positive ofcourse you have to quarantine until you are better. Otherwise you will spread this virus to others

What kind of dr is this????

I am scared for us I really am people.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Oh yes indeed here in Bergen county the school rules are everyone stays home while someone in the house is awaiting covid test results

Interesting. Here the whole family stays home to wait if there's fever or severe symptoms, but for just cold level symptoms or exposure only the symptomatic member stays home unless symptoms increase or the test is positive.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:33 pm
I dont see a reason to test if your sick stay home. Dr shanik says that the one who tests positive doesnt even have to quarantine 24 hours after feeling better so whats the point of testing or quarantining?

Is this true? Did he really say this? Can anyone verify?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics