Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kids under 10 and spreading covid

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:34 pm
There is talk how young children spread Covid much less than older. Did anyone have a child ten or younger where you know he or was she was the only one exposed to Covid and did the rest of the family catch from him or not? Or schools where one kid in a younger class tested positive, how many other kids were positive as well?

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:56 pm
https://news.harvard.edu/gazet.....ov-2/

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:50 am
Wow.
That’s something.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:05 am
The study does NOT show kids are contagious. It simply shows that the children had covid particles (not even live virus -- IIRC the study checked for RNA) in their bodies at high rates, and they are theorizing from there that it may indicate contagiousness.

In ACTUAL studies analyzing huge amounts of data collected via contact tracing, including by WHO, it has become fairly clear that that theoretical concept has not played out in practice. There has been only very very low rates of transmission from children under 10 to adults, to the point of being nearly statistically insignificant.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:12 am
chocolatecake wrote:
There is talk how young children spread Covid much less than older. Did anyone have a child ten or younger where you know he or was she was the only one exposed to Covid and did the rest of the family catch from him or not? Or schools where one kid in a younger class tested positive, how many other kids were positive as well?

That's not true.

Asymptomatic children might even be a key factor in spread...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:16 am
OK, if kids are not a problem, let's have them visit nursing homes. They can cheer up the old people, sing songs, give them craft projects and cards, and bake them cookies.

I'm sure it will be perfectly safe.

What could go wrong?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:17 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, if kids are not a problem, let's have them visit nursing homes. They can cheer up the old people, sing songs, give them craft projects and cards, and bake them cookies.

I'm sure it will be perfectly safe.

What could go wrong?

Switzerland did that, with perfectly fine results. They said, kids under 10 can visit grandparents.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:49 am
My 1 & 4 yr old both tested positive

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 5:14 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My 1 & 4 yr old both tested positive

Yes, but the question is did they pass it on to you or anyone else

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:47 am
My husband gave Covid to my 18 month old. No one else in my family caught it bh. While I was surprised that no one caught it from my husband he did practice normal adult hygiene. My 18 month old walked around my.house coughing and sneezing on everyone and begging everyone to hold her...

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:08 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Switzerland did that, with perfectly fine results. They said, kids under 10 can visit grandparents.

That's absolutely not true. I live in Switzerland.

Nursing homes were locked down completely for about 3 months.
Now each home has its own visiting policy. so it might be that in the course of normal family visits, children might be allowed to participate, with the security measures the home has in place.

But there are no activities actively inviting children into homes.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:12 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
The study does NOT show kids are contagious. It simply shows that the children had covid particles (not even live virus -- IIRC the study checked for RNA) in their bodies at high rates, and they are theorizing from there that it may indicate contagiousness.

In ACTUAL studies analyzing huge amounts of data collected via contact tracing, including by WHO, it has become fairly clear that that theoretical concept has not played out in practice. There has been only very very low rates of transmission from children under 10 to adults, to the point of being nearly statistically insignificant.

This might be due to the fact that most of these studies were down during lockdown, while schools were closed. So where would children catch the virus, if not from adults.

I have plenty of friends who caught the virus from their children before lockdown.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:23 am
My neighbor tested her entire family before going away to visit family. only the youngest child was positive. Totally asymptomatic. Rest of family tested negative with no antibodies. Instead of going away they had to quarantine for 14 days.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:32 am
Where I live. The kids have to go to school all ages. But till 12year. There is no mask neither kids nor the teachers. Teachers needs to mask up when being with their colleges or talking to a mother. They said they researched that kids under 12 will not transmit it to the adults. Whatever I don't believe it. This is our reality. And im happy my kids have a normal life.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 8:54 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
This might be due to the fact that most of these studies were down during lockdown, while schools were closed. So where would children catch the virus, if not from adults.

I have plenty of friends who caught the virus from their children before lockdown.

No, these studies, multiple ones, are from all over the world, including places with opened schools and daycare centers.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:22 am
There seem to be a lot of conflicting studies.

But I think the general agreement is that the long term harm to small children from staying home from school is greater then keeping schools open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics