Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
If someone says today "Next winter" what does it mean?

If someone says today "Next winter" what does it mean?
The upcoming winter of 2020-2021  
 21%  [ 29 ]
The following winter of 2021-2022  
 78%  [ 104 ]
Total Votes : 133

pause

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:26 pm
Please vote on how you understand it.

Today someone told me that if next winter xyz, then she will abc. I understood it one way and she meant it another way. Curious how many people think like me vs like her.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:31 pm
I'd normally say 2021-2022. But this year, because covid blurred all the dates snd years and transitions, I'd probably mean this one.

Genius

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:34 pm
The context matters. Without context I’d say 21/22

Genius

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:39 pm
Pause I hope you’ll tell us what you assumed one day

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:06 am
I would assume 21/22, but I would also ask to clarify if it seemed important to be sure.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 5:38 am
It should mean the winter of 21-22 but I also assume a lot of people don't know that so will always clarify. This winter means the winter coming up in a few weeks.

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:11 am
It depends what time of year you say it.

Until around August, you can say "next winter" and it'll be obvious that you're referring to the upcoming winter. From about September, "next winter" means the next year's winter, not the upcoming winter. For that, you'd say "this coming winter."

GoodEnough

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:21 am
pause wrote:
Please vote on how you understand it.

Today someone told me that if next winter xyz, then she will abc. I understood it one way and she meant it another way. Curious how many people think like me vs like her.

Now I'm curious how you understood it.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:24 am
banana123 wrote:

Until around August, you can say "next winter" and it'll be obvious that you're referring to the upcoming winter. From about September, "next winter" means the next year's winter, not the upcoming winter. For that, you'd say "this coming winter."

She said it to me yesterday, September 23.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:26 am
GoodEnough wrote:
Now I'm curious how you understood it.

I understood it to mean the following winter 2021-2022, but based on the xyz and the abc, I was having a hard time understanding, so I asked, "You mean this winter?" She says no, we're not in winter now, so when I say "next winter" it means the winter that's coming next. But I claimed that if we're already in fall and you mean the upcoming winter, she should have said "this winter" in order to be understood correctly.

And we argued about who's right until I declared that Imamother will determine the winner. Smile

GoodEnough

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:34 am
pause wrote:
I understood it to mean the following winter 2021-2022, but based on the xyz and the abc, I was having a hard time understanding, so I asked, "You mean this winter?" She says no, we're not in winter now, so when I say "next winter" it means the winter that's coming next. But I claimed that if we're already in fall and you mean the upcoming winter, she should have said "this winter" in order to be understood correctly.

And we argued about who's right until I declared that Imamother will determine the winner. Smile

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity Cool

I sometimes get confused with days of the week. So if somone will say on Monday, next Friday, I'll think it means the following week but I also need to clarify that they dont mean this week...

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:38 am
banana123 wrote:

I agree, but I'd extend it a little. Agree about in August it being upcoming, but feel like also still in September. At least in Israel where September still feels 100 summer

GoodEnough

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:43 am
banana123 wrote:

Not to me. If someone uses the word next I'll assume they mean the following year. There's only one winter per year. So it would be the next winter after the current year's.

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:58 am
I had a similar thing with a friend when like on Wednesday they said next Sunday and I thought they meant 11 days in the future and they were talking about 4 days in the future

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:02 am
Could be either this winter (2020/21) or next (2021/22), depending on how the person defines it and how far it is away...

I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer to this question...

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:30 am
I can't speak for what's in other people's minds. Where I think there may be confusion, I say "this coming week/month/year/Shabbat/whatever" to refer to the one that's about to happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics