Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Please introduce yourself when leaving a voicemail
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:02 am
I turned on my phone today and realized I had a voicemail from someone. After finally being able to listen to the message (something’s wrong with my phone) the person requested I call her back, but little does she know that I don’t recognize her voice, and my phone carrier doesn’t say in the voicemail the number the message is coming from... so next time you leave someone a voicemail, please be so kind and say who you are. This person must think I’m nasty not returning her call....

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:05 am
Years ago I said that after I retire I'm going to set up a business teaching people telephone etiquette.

A proper telephone message goes something like this: Hello, this is Louella Parsons. I'd like to speak to Hedda Hopper about a joint journalism project. I can be reached at 123-456-7890 any weekday between 3:00 and 9:00 pm. Again, this is Louella Parsons, spelled L-O-U-E-L-L-A , P-as-in- Peter--A-R-S-as- in- sandwich-O-N-as- in -November-S-as in sandwich, 123-456-7890.

Notice: the caller identifies herself by full name. identifies the person sought, the reason for the call, and provides a callback number. She repeats the name with the spelling, specifying "B as in Bravo" where letter names sound similar (B-D, F-S-X, M-N, P-T, V-Z). Really makpid people will specify every letter (L as in Lima, O as in Oscar, U as in Uniform, E as in Echo...)but that's not necessary.Oh, and the caller speaks slowly and distinctly. NOT hellothisisouelllaparsonsidliketospeak toheddahoppermynumberis1234567890.

Not everyone has caller ID, you know. And many people still use plain basic landline phones with answering machines which do not log calls and record the numbers from which they originated.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:08 am
Im gonna go a step further and say...
PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME A VOICEMAIL UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO!!
aaarrgghhh I cant stand them! Do NOT leave me voicemail saying "please call me when you have a chance"! Omg can you just text that??
I hate
Hate
Hate
Voicemails.
So annoying to find a quiet place to listen, listen through your whole recording....seriously
Just text me.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please introduce yourself when leaving a voicemail

...and sign when you send text messages....

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
aaarrgghhh I cant stand them! Do NOT leave me voicemail saying "please call me when you have a chance"! Omg can you just text that??
I hate
Hate
Hate
Voicemails.
So annoying to find a quiet place to listen, listen through your whole recording....seriously
Just text me.

Me too... and whatsapp recorded messages...

I so much prefer text messages...

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:15 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
...and sign when you send text messages....

Thanks not necessary. Unless you know the person didn't save your contact. Most ppl save contacts.

And you can scroll back up the conversation to remind yourself if what your talking about.

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I hate
Hate
Hate
Voicemails.
Just text me.

I really hate useless voice mail... It's like the social equivalent of "I survived another meeting that could have been an email"

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:20 am
No matter how close you think you are to the person you're calling, DON'T say 'hi, it's me, call me back.' Even if you're calling your mom, sister or bff, at least say 'Hi, it's Leah, call me back." And if it's anyone outside of your immediate family, LEAVE YOUR LAST NAME. Even if your name is Xennoughbeagh, chances are your friend knows more than one. And, oh goodness, if you have a name like Sarah Cohen? Give a little more info, like from yoga class; your daughter Chana's teacher; from Dr. Mendelson's office.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:22 am
[quote="zaq"]Years ago I said that after I retire I'm going to set up a business teaching people telephone etiquette.

quote]I think we are going to be competition!!!! One of my pet peeves! A lost art.

Snickers18

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:32 am
zaq wrote:
Years ago I said that after I retire I'm going to set up a business teaching people telephone etiquette.

A proper telephone message goes something like this: Hello, this is Louella Parsons. I'd like to speak to Hedda Hopper about a joint journalism project. I can be reached at 123-456-7890 any weekday between 3:00 and 9:00 pm. Again, this is Louella Parsons, spelled L-O-U-E-L-L-A , P-as-in- Peter--A-R-S-as- in- sandwich-O-N-as- in -November-S-as in sandwich, 123-456-7890.

Notice: the caller identifies herself by full name. identifies the person sought, the reason for the call, and provides a callback number. She repeats the name with the spelling, specifying "B as in Bravo" where letter names sound similar (B-D, F-S-X, M-N, P-T, V-Z). Really makpid people will specify every letter (L as in Lima, O as in Oscar, U as in Uniform, E as in Echo...)but that's not necessary.Oh, and the caller speaks slowly and distinctly. NOT hellothisisouelllaparsonsidliketospeaktoheddahoppermynumberis1234567890.

Not everyone has caller ID, you know. And many people still use plain basic landline phones with answering machines which do not log calls and record the numbers from which they originated.

So that’s how I leave my messages (including the time that I called) and I always get teased: “My phone shows what time I called. Don’t you think I know who called? You don’t need to leave all that info!” I’m still young but may as well be a dinosaur because as far as I’m concerned, it’s rude to call and hang up when the answering machine picks up, but I’m told people don’t like voicemails today (see above).

I was also taught that when one calls a household, one says, “Hello, this is _____; may I speak with _____?” I find that most kids just say, “Is ____ there?” when the phone is picked up.

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:42 am
Snickers18 wrote:
So that’s how I leave my messages (including the time that I called) and I always get teased: “My phone shows what time I called. Don’t you think I know who called? You don’t need to leave all that info!” I’m still young but may as well be a dinosaur because as far as I’m concerned, it’s rude to call and hang up when the answering machine picks up, but I’m told people don’t like voicemails today (see above).

I was also taught that when one calls a household, one says, “Hello, this is _____; may I speak with _____?” I find that most kids just say, “Is ____ there?” when the phone is picked up.

As long as you hang up before the message is over. I will see I missed your call. If you're giving me a message with information that's one thing. But otherwise I don't want to hear "hi single it's bob call me back." It's just pointless and takes up time that I don't want to deal with when I can get that info in less time with text message.

I think it might also come from the fact that calling your voicemail used to cost minutes/money in early days of cell phones.

I remember in Israel we'd borrow our friends cell phone to call and check out message bc it was free to call in Network And cost money to call your voicemail.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:08 pm
[quote="ShishKabob"]
zaq wrote:

quote]I think we are going to be competition!!!! One of my pet peeves! A lost art.

Why compete? two heads are better than one--Let's partner!

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:14 pm
Snickers18 wrote:

Yep, yep. It's not just kids, either.
I detest people who call and say "is this Ms. Zaqarias?" Who the heck are you? You're essentially invading my home; you think I'm going to identify myself to you when you remain anonymous?

Depending on my mood, I 'll say
(chilly but polite) Who's calling please?
(getting annoyed) What organization are you from?
(hostile) Who wants to know?
(had it up to here) There's no such person at this number.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Snickers18

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:20 pm
singleagain wrote:
As long as you hang up before the message is over. I will see I missed your call. If you're giving me a message with information that's one thing. But otherwise I don't want to hear "hi single it's bob call me back." It's just pointless and takes up time that I don't want to deal with when I can get that info in less time with text message.

I think it might also come from the fact that calling your voicemail used to cost minutes/money in early days of cell phones.

I remember in Israel we'd borrow our friends cell phone to call and check out message bc it was free to call in Network And cost money to call your voicemail.

I hear, but I call many elderly people, and I think they would consider it rude if I didn’t leave a message to that effect. I can’t keep up with who prefers what so I err on the side of caution. However, if I absolutely know that someone despises voicemails, I won’t leave them.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:20 pm
Yes yes yes!!!! All of the above! Especially when I’ve gotten calls (or voice messages) from people who refused to identify themselves. Mad Banging head

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:29 pm
zaq wrote:
Yep, yep.
I detest those who call and say "is this Ms. Zaqarias?" Who the heck are you? You're essentially invading my home; you think I'm going to identify myself to you when you remain anonymous?

Depending on my mood, I 'll say
(chilly but polite) Who's calling please?
(getting annoyed) What organization are you from?
(hostile) Who wants to know?
(had it up to here) There's no such person at this number.

If she’d say “hello, can I please speak to mrs Zaq” would it be rude too?
I’d reply “speaking” no matter my mood, and I’m sure that the caller will then go ahead and introduce herself once she knows she reached the right party.
In fact if a caller would introduce herself before making sure she’s speaking to the right party I’d think she’s weird.
“Hi, this is Mrs Katznellen from OuterSpace Miscellaneous, is this Mrs. Extra Credentials?”
“No, it’s her daughter, but now I’m pretty curious why you’d call and I’ll make sure to stick around to eavesdrop.”

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:44 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
If she’d say “hello, can I please speak to mrs Zaq” would it be rude too?
I’d reply “speaking” no matter my mood, and I’m sure that the caller will then go ahead and introduce herself once she knows she reached the right party.
In fact if a caller would introduce herself before making sure she’s speaking to the right party I’d think she’s weird.
“Hi, this is Mrs Katznellen from OuterSpace Miscellaneous, is this Mrs. Extra Credentials?”
“No, it’s her daughter, but now I’m pretty curious why you’d call and I’ll make sure to stick around to eavesdrop.”

I say “speaking, may I ask who’s calling please?”

I was taught to always identify myself and then ask to speak to whomever I’m trying to reach... “hi, this is BH Yom Yom, may I please speak to Mrs. Plonis?”

Of course, the downside of that is that out of habit, half the time I introduce myself and my company even when I’m on a personal call... oops: “hi, this is BH Yom Yom from 123Company” - which is confusing to the other person lol (think calling my insurance company, the vet, my mechanic, etc). I dont want to see

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:48 pm
Perhaps the anti-voicemail folk can start ensuring that their answering machine message reflects that?

"Hi, you've reached Mrs. Socialite. The best way to reach me is via text, I don't always get to check my voicemails regularly. Have a wonderful day!"

"This is the answering machine of Mrs. Socialite. Please text me, I am unlikely to receive your voicemail in a timely manner. Take care."

Frumme

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I turned on my phone today and realized I had a voicemail from someone. After finally being able to listen to the message (something’s wrong with my phone) the person requested I call her back, but little does she know that I don’t recognize her voice, and my phone carrier doesn’t say in the voicemail the number the message is coming from... so next time you leave someone a voicemail, please be so kind and say who you are. This person must think I’m nasty not returning her call....

I agree with what you're saying. It definitely is annoying. That being said, I have two points that might help:

1) I find it helps to remind people before they leave a message. E.g. "Hi, you've reached OP. Please leave your name, number, and reason for calling and be aware that I am unavailable between sunset Friday and sunset Saturday. Thank you!" Has greatly cut down on my "hey it's me" voicemails

2) is this voicemail on your cell or your landline? If it's the former, pressing "5" on the touchpad should give you more information about the call (time of call, date, phone number)

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:11 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
I say “speaking, may I ask who’s calling please?”

I was taught to always identify myself and then ask to speak to whomever I’m trying to reach... “hi, this is BH Yom Yom, may I please speak to Mrs. Plonis?”

Of course, the downside of that is that out of habit, half the time I introduce myself and my company even when I’m on a personal call... oops: “hi, this is BH Yom Yom from 123Company” - which is confusing to the other person lol (think calling my insurance company, the vet, my mechanic, etc). I dont want to see

If you’d only say “speaking” they’d anyway go ahead and say who’s calling.
People calling from companies usually do introduce themselves before asking for the right party, and I appreciate that.
“Hiiiiiiii, we’re calling from We-Have-Nothing-Better-To-Do-Than-Hand-Out-Free-Tickets-To-Exotic-Locations to let you know that you actually won a free trip for 7 to Sambatyan Island...”
At that point I long hung up. Spares me the few extra seconds of my day it would waste if they’d first make sure they’re speaking to me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics