Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
S/O if for no other reason
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:49 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Again agree with you Naomi. So frustrating not to get raw unvarnished factual data!
Like there was another thread on transmission under 10. Enough with the manipulating to fit agendas and the paucity of factual information!
Now that we do have evidence of what has worked and not worked to date around the world.
Why cant governments and organizations treat everyone respectfully and put out the facts so we can make best informed decisions!!!

I am not sure whether you are being cynical.

there is plenty of factual information available for all those who care to read it, to listen to it, to be informed. Maybe you also need to have learnt how to find, evaluate and absorb information.

there is definitely no lack of information.
Unfortunately, there is also an over-abundance of misinformation around.
And since misinformation is often easier to digest than complex scientific studies, many people get stuck there...

ora_43

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Again agree with you Naomi. So frustrating not to get raw unvarnished factual data!
Like there was another thread on transmission under 10. Enough with the manipulating to fit agendas and the paucity of factual information!
Now that we do have evidence of what has worked and not worked to date around the world.
Why cant governments and organizations treat everyone respectfully and put out the facts so we can make best informed decisions!!!

If you have access to imamother, I assume you have access to Google Scholar. Have at it. All the raw, unvarnished data you could read in a week, and more.

Organizations and governments won't give you raw data because most people can't make any sense of raw data. Learning how to interpret data is an entire career path that usually involves at least 2 degrees in statistics. Ditto for assessing risks and doing analyses like, cost of healthcare for ill ppl vs economic cost of a shutdown.

"Ora_43 you are being a pedantic jerk, obviously I meant processed data that isn't politicized."

Sure. But the problem is that there are no neutral choices. With a dozen different ways of trying to figure out the death toll, and with dozens of possible results for each method, any choice is going to have some people saying "nuh-uh, it's not as high as 1.5%, in fact Dr. A says it's not even 0.5%," while others are saying, "1.5%? No way, Dr. B's research shows it's at least 2%."

And that's for one data point. The same mess of possible choices exists for every other relevant point - whether hospitals are overwhelmed, how likely transmission is, long-term effects, number of people who have it but aren't tested... Maybe some organizations really are trying to manipulate, but by and large I think what you're seeing is just people who are have to pick and choose what data to present, because there's so much out there.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 8:10 am
Not being cynical at all.

Prefer unvarnished data.

Agree lots of misinformation and disinformation unfortunately.

Agree it can be time consuming, we do our hishtadlus.

Good point like much else we have our trusted sources as well.

As well we defer to our trusted doctors grateful we have them in our lives.

Amalia

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

People, I think we've just reached a new low. wondering

The bolded is the single most important reason why COVID is spreading the way it is, I think, in addition to what nchr wrote above about following the rules.

It is appalling and deeply disturbing to me to observe how COVID took the cover-up off the general attitude of “being nice.” It is painfully clear now that so many people really and truly don’t care about how their behavior affects other people, not only in a (relatively) minor form such as saying something hurtful but also up to infecting, disabling or possibly even killing a person (or even more than one with every single exposure). That as soon as they were put in the position where more is demanded of them than to smile politely and be superficially nice, when they actually have to experience some discomfort (such as from wearing masks) and constraint (such as not making non-essential shopping trips), they simply and clearly refuse to do so.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics