Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The Word is DRAWER
Previous  1  2  3  4

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:39 am
Siriusly? wrote:
There are loads of these and some are really funny! I know someone who read "underfed" as "un-derfd" rather than "under-fed", or "unshed" as "unshd" rather than "un-shed"...

LOL Unnerved and underfd!

aliavi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:50 am
Siriusly? wrote:
I love this quote:

Spelling, on the other hand, isn’t so forgivable...

Seriously...🤣

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:50 am
My friend's mom thought farfetched was a Yiddish word, farFETCHT.
how about sundreed (sundried) tomatoes? must mean a collection of different varieties.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:03 am
zaq wrote:
how about sundreed (sundried) tomatoes? must mean a collection of different varieties.

LOL LOL LOL Good one!

"Mondegreens" is now my new favorite word. "A lyrical mondegreen of madrigals." Very Happy

But it will never replace "The veritable quagmire was quite a quandary."

I had a friend who invited me over for dinner once. She asked me if I had entophobia. I said no, I have etyphobia - the fear of knowing the origin of words! Wink

(Her DH was in med school, and was studying clinical entomology and parasites. He had some pretty weird books laying out. 🐛)

moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:31 am
Siriusly? wrote:
I love this quote:

Spelling, on the other hand, isn’t so forgivable...

So true! I've always been a big reader, and as a kid there were words I unknowingly mispronounced because I'd read them but never heard them. One that comes to mind is the name Phoebe. I thought it was pronounced "Fobe" until I heard it on TV (not "Friends", this was way before that).

But what I was kvetching about earlier was writing a word incorrectly based on a mispronunciation.

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:57 pm
moonstone wrote:
So true! I've always been a big reader, and as a kid there were words I unknowingly mispronounced because I'd read them but never heard them. One that comes to mind is the name Phoebe. I thought it was pronounced "Fobe" until I heard it on TV (not "Friends", this was way before that).

But what I was kvetching about earlier was writing a word incorrectly based on a mispronunciation.

I got that - and I fully agree with your point! Like I said, wrong spelling isn’t as forgivable as mispronunciation... my quote was in response to the “misled” conversation

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:15 pm
Names are the pits! Used to be just Biblical names in English that messed me up. I never met anyone named Ezekiel after all. But with the modern penchant for "creative" spellings, all bets are off. Signed, Xinnoughbeagh (Pronounced Zenobia)

iyar

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:56 pm
zaq wrote:

Thank you zaq. I love that. How are you? I'm feeling farFETCHT. Describes it to a tee.

iyar

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:58 pm
zaq wrote:
Names are the pits! Used to be just Biblical names in English that messed me up. I never met anyone named Ezekiel after all. But with the modern penchant for "creative" spellings, all bets are off. Signed, Xinnoughbeagh (Pronounced Zenobia)

Nice to meet you Xinnoghbeagh
I'm Hermione
(No you don't want to know how I pronounced that)

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:06 pm
iyar wrote:
I'm Hermione

Her-me-own?

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:42 am
iyar wrote:
I'm Hermione

I knew instantly how to pronounce that name, having heard my mom talk about Hermione Gingold, an old-time actress. But I'd have had no idea how to spell it. Hermyanee or Hermianie would have been my guess.

ilic

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:20 am
Haha this thread is reminding me of my dd who has always been a huge reader, and all the words shes mispronounced. It's really cute. But the funniest was one time, she was about 7, she called me to her room where she was reading in bed,
DD: mummy I dont understand this word, what does fuk-it mean?
Me: blood draining from my face and thinking help! What book has corrupted my daughter!! Calmly I asked what book are you reading?
Dd: shows me BY times!
Me: thinking that's strange - and how do you spell that word??
Dd: f-a-u-c-e-t
Me: blood slowly recurculating, whooooh, ok, that says faucet!! Faucet!! Now say it 10 times!!
Lol that was a funny story which I still cant laugh with her about!

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:25 am
ilic wrote:
Haha this thread is reminding me of my dd who has always been a huge reader, and all the words shes mispronounced. It's really cute. But the funniest was one time, she was about 7, she called me to her room where she was reading in bed,
DD: mummy I dont understand this word, what does fuk-it mean?
Me: blood draining from my face and thinking help! What book has corrupted my daughter!! Calmly I asked what book are you reading?
Dd: shows me BY times!
Me: thinking that's strange - and how do you spell that word??
Dd: f-a-u-c-e-t
Me: blood slowly recurculating, whooooh, ok, that says faucet!! Faucet!! Now say it 10 times!!
Lol that was a funny story which I still cant laugh with her about!

LOL

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:29 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Her-me-own?

It’s pronounced Her-my-oh-nee... I also had heard the name before I came across it in writing for the first time, but the majority of Harry Potter readers pronounce the character Hermione’s name wrong until they get to the fourth book, where she enunciates it for a foreigner who has trouble with it

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:07 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
It’s pronounced Her-my-oh-nee... I also had heard the name before I came across it in writing for the first time, but the majority of Harry Potter readers pronounce the character Hermione’s name wrong until they get to the fourth book, where she enunciates it for a foreigner who has trouble with it

Naw, can't be. Doesn't Hagrid call her HerMYKnee early on?

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:48 pm
zaq wrote:

This article quotes JK Rowling saying that she put that scene in on purpose because she received so much fan mail asking how to pronounce it... I personally know a few people who pronounced it Hermy-own until then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe......html

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:50 pm
zaq wrote:

And Victor Krum calls her Her-my-o-ni-nee

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:51 pm
shanie5 wrote:
And Viktor Krum calls her Her-my-o-ni-nee

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:52 pm
shanie5 wrote:
And Victor Krum calls her Her-my-o-ni-nee

Hermione enunciating her name for Victor Krum is the scene I am referring to. Up until that moment in the Goblet of Fire, many readers had no idea that the name was pronounced that way
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics