Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tiny bedrooms need more storage ideas-suggestions?
Previous  1  2

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:42 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Op, I would build ceiling to floor shelving in the closets and get rid of the dressers. Store clothing neatly folded drawer in bins on the shelves of the closet.
It sounds like you are holding on to a lot of things you probably won’t use again. It’s hard but you will feel so much better if you get rid of everything you haven’t used in the past year.
I’m all for no dressers taking up space. Keep a small nightstand but skip the big, bulky dressers especially in a small room.

I totally agree about the dressers. I find them to be a huge waste of space. I don't even do nightstands in my kids' packed rooms, instead they have reading lamps that can be clipped on to the bed, and a hanging pocket divider (it have right on to the side of the bed frame) from Ikea that can hold books, tissues, water bottle, etc.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:21 am
Captains bed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....624a2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Op, I would build ceiling to floor shelving in the closets and get rid of the dressers. Store clothing neatly folded in bins on the shelves of the closet.
It sounds like you are holding on to a lot of things you probably won’t use again. It’s hard but you will feel so much better if you get rid of everything you haven’t used in the past year.
I’m all for no dressers taking up space. Keep a small nightstand but skip the big, bulky dressers especially in a small room.
The closet is made of multiple shelves not hanging rods. Are bins better than just stacking clothing on shelves? The dresser they need and they use all of it. There's no night table or desk, no room for it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The closet is made of multiple shelves not hanging rods. Are bins better than just stacking clothing on shelves? The dresser they need and they use all of it. There's no night table or desk, no room for it.

Yes! So much more can fit while staying organized. Be sure to measure to get the maximum space.

It sounds like some of the items you are storing in rooms like boots could be stored elsewhere in the house if space was cleared.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 8:58 pm
I suggest a 1 hour consultation with an organizer. The insight with be inaluable for your specific space.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:05 pm
OP, one of the bedrooms in my house is 7 x almost 10 feet. I have a bunk bed on the long side and 3 matrasses piled one on top another ( because a frame doesn't fit) on the short side, creating an L shape out of the sleeping places. There's a 4 drawer dresser, a stack of plastic shoe box size drawers behind the door, and a really narrow, 2-foot wide closet all on the long wall across from the bunk bed.
It's really hard to offer advice without knowing the dimensions of the room.

Teomima

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Bins are definitely better. Look around until you find ones that fit the shelves perfectly. I do 2 per shelf.

Are all the clothes in the closet and the dresser just for the kids sharing the room? Because that's a lot of clothes! Each room I've got with 2 kids, they share two sections of a closet and that's it. Half bins on shelves, half hanging. ALL shoes below the hanging items. The rest of the closet space (upper cabinets, plus one of the closets has more doors) I use for family storage.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:21 pm
The room is about 7 by 13 feet. 2 beds with bins underneath, 2 small wardrobes for hanging things, dresser, closet has shelves for folded clothing. The room is shared between two older dc and it's not that they have so much clothing, it's that the room is really small. I'm going to shop for closet bins. and maybe an organizer.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:33 pm
Wardrobes take up so much space! I'd use rods in the closet for all hanging items and find narrow efficient dressers for all other items. An organizer would give you the best perspective based on what she sees.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it comfortable to sleep on with the mattress over the drawers?

Sure why not, its a regular hard surface the mattress is on...

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:03 pm
OP, how high is the ceiling in the closet? Can you add another shelf closer to the ceiling? Another rod higher up?
The truth is, you didn't say what kind of storage you need. If it's seasonal stuff, you can use vacuum bags ( is that what they are called?). I've used them when traveling- they really do save space because you draw out all the air with a vacuum.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:23 pm
2 Wardrobes and dressers?!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 5:20 pm
Shelf in the closet goes all the way up. I haven't tried those bags, do you have a link for a good one online? It's 2 small wardrobes and a narrow tall dresser for 2-very small.

Teomima

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The room is about 7 by 13 feet. 2 beds with bins underneath, 2 small wardrobes for hanging things, dresser, closet has shelves for folded clothing. The room is shared between two older dc and it's not that they have so much clothing, it's that the room is really small. I'm going to shop for closet bins. and maybe an organizer.

That's a lot larger than my kids' bedrooms, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff I manage to cram in them.

You're definitely taking up way too much space with furniture that doesn't fully utilize all the vertical space. My suggestion is a floor to ceiling closet, with hanging space, shelves with bins, and upper cabinets with storage. To give you an example, my older two share a bedroom with two separate beds, a closet (about 20 by 63 inches), a bookcase, and a desk, plus enough floor space to move and play. And the room has smaller dimensions than you mentioned. I also store all our suitcases, our camping gear, and, oh yeah, our entire sukkah, in this bedroom.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 8:36 pm
Teomima wrote:
That's a lot larger than my kids' bedrooms, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff I manage to cram in them.

You're definitely taking up way too much space with furniture that doesn't fully utilize all the vertical space. My suggestion is a floor to ceiling closet, with hanging space, shelves with bins, and upper cabinets with storage. To give you an example, my older two share a bedroom with two separate beds, a closet (about 20 by 63 inches), a bookcase, and a desk, plus enough floor space to move and play. And the room has smaller dimensions than you mentioned. I also store all our suitcases, our camping gear, and, oh yeah, our entire sukkah, in this bedroom.

wow. I don't know how you manage that in a smaller room- what's the secret? The furniture in dc bedroom is all almost up to the ceiling except beds and there's barely room to walk between the beds. Where are you storing the suitcases, sukkah, and camping gear?

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow. I don't know how you manage that in a smaller room- what's the secret? The furniture in dc bedroom is all almost up to the ceiling except beds and there's barely room to walk between the beds. Where are you storing the suitcases, sukkah, and camping gear?

Suitcases are under one of the beds. It fits 4 large suitcases which is what we have, each packed with smaller suitcases.

The sukkah is an Israeli one, made from interlocking metal poles and wrapped with fabric. There's a gap in the corner between the closet and the wall and all the poles and schach beams are standing upright in that corner. The sukkah fabric, camping gear, and other storage items are in the upper doors of the closet. The main part of the closet is divided into two parts, half hanging and half shelves, and that's where all their clothes are (same with my other kids who also share a room the same size. Their closet is larger but it's mostly storage. Their clothes fit into two sections, one shelves with bins the other for hanging). That's why I asked earlier if perhaps they had more clothes than necessary.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shelf in the closet goes all the way up. I haven't tried those bags, do you have a link for a good one online? It's 2 small wardrobes and a narrow tall dresser for 2-very small.

Sorry, I bought mines in a dollar store, so don't have a link. Check out the reviews on Amazon - it's called vacuum storage bags.
OP, since you said it's a room for older teens, and you're not against buying stuff, why don't you involve the kids in organizing and rearranging the room? They might enjoy this activity Smile and get rid of unnecessary stuff they've been holding on to.
Also, look into different folding methods if you're using lots of shelves - some are more space saving than others.
Good luck
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics