Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help! My 3 years old nocturnal visits
Previous  1  2

MiriFr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:51 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Mirari-.....HSBV4

And make a special morning toy bin next to his bed that he’s only allowed to play with in the morning IN HIS ROOM when he wakes up before the clock turns green.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:05 pm
My 3 year old had one of those clocks mentioned earlier...

It’s called “ok to wake”

I bought it for her as soon as she started sleeping in a bed- she is not allowed to come out of bed until it is green. If she needs the bathroom she has to call us to come take here and then it’s straight back to bed...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

She has never ever ever come in to my room at night because she never ever ever was allowed... you can re-teach your child by laying down the rules and being CONSISTENT!!!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:25 am
Update-

He was so tired he wanted to go to bed at 6.

Last night I heard him in my sleep at 4:30. An hour later it came later louder so I went to him. I brought him a toy and told him he had to stay in his room until 7. He started playing and seemed ok.

He came to me a few times and each time I sent him away and away he went. I also heard him roaming around the house and the kitchen.

At 6 something I was so tired I fell asleep. I woke up to find him once again in my bed. Now he’s still sleeping Banging head

So no he didn’t watch but nothing really changed. Plus I’m worried about him walking around my house alone at night.

I want to order the ok to wake alarm but there’s really a lot of options and I’m not sure what to buy.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:45 am
When he wakes up before 7 Tell him it’s still the middle of the night go back to sleep. No playing or walking around. He doesn’t need to know it’s almost morning.
Get darkening shades for the windows.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:52 am
I don't think has anything to do with watching.
His schedule is messed up. You have to keep him up until his 7:30 bedtime if you want him to wake up at 6:30 am or later.
If he went to sleep at 6 pm, 5 am is a normal wake time. I don't see how you can expect him to stay in his bed any later than that even with an ok to wake clock.
If you are worried about him wandering the house lock his door. Get blackout shades as well.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:54 am
Thanks. He likes a very bright lamp in his room. If we don’t turn it on he turns on the room light so darkening shades won’t work Sad

Even when goes to bed at 7:30 he’s still up at 4.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:02 am
https://www.amazon.com/Stoplig.....KLN46

I love this one.
It's a traffic light.
Red means stop- stay in bed.
Green means go.

We also have a rule, no leaving the room (except for the bathroom) until Green Light. We leave a few books and a calm toy (like a bucket of Lego) in the bedroom.
If I hear the child moving around the house, I will return him to his bed.
One child was a wanderer so at 4am I'd take my blanket and pillow and lay on the floor by his door so I would wake up if he tried to leave.
After a few days, he learned that there's no benefit in leaving his bed- might as well sleep.

I also put up a gate so my kids can't wander- for safety. Usually by the top of the steps or by the bedrooms/bathroom. They can go to the bathroom or my bedroom, but can't wander the rest of the house.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:07 am
One day won’t fix anything. He needs to learn there’s nothing exciting waiting for him at 4am. There needs to be no sleeping whatsoever from 6am-7pm for at least a week. Sometimes a schedule can take months to fix. It’s not your fault but hiding the screens is the first step to fixing this mess. A three year old does not need screen time. Buy a lot of new books. Buy him a dimmer bulb for his lamp.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:29 am
SuperWify wrote:
Update-

He was so tired he wanted to go to bed at 6.

Last night I heard him in my sleep at 4:30. An hour later it came later louder so I went to him. I brought him a toy and told him he had to stay in his room until 7. He started playing and seemed ok.

He came to me a few times and each time I sent him away and away he went. I also heard him roaming around the house and the kitchen.

At 6 something I was so tired I fell asleep. I woke up to find him once again in my bed. Now he’s still sleeping Banging head

So no he didn’t watch but nothing really changed. Plus I’m worried about him walking around my house alone at night.

I want to order the ok to wake alarm but there’s really a lot of options and I’m not sure what to buy.

One night is not gonna change a habit! Keep it up! 👍🏼

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:19 am
SuperWify wrote:
Thanks. He likes a very bright lamp in his room. If we don’t turn it on he turns on the room light so darkening shades won’t work Sad

Even when goes to bed at 7:30 he’s still up at 4.

On days he has slept from 7-9 am or not?

farm

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:04 am
By the way for the color changing alarm clock- when you first start using it, set it so that it's green when he usually wakes up (I guess close to 5am ((cringe)) for the first couple of days and reward him for not coming out of his room until green. Then slowly move it later and later, 5 minutes every day or 2. It will be way too hard for him to stay in his room until 7am if that's the goal from day one. You have to train/teach him delayed gratification and set him up for success from the beginning for it to really work nicely.
As far as your concern that he's not getting enough sleep, hopefully after a few days of you consistently insisting he stay in his room for a quiet nonstimulating activity until green light time, he will be much less motivated to get out of bed before green light for his screen time, and eventually just roll over and go back to sleep. Unless he's really ready to start his day at that time and no longer tired. In that case, you don't have to worry that he's not getting enough sleep!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:41 am
I'm having a similar problem except he doesn't go back to sleep and I just end up with a kvetchy toddler from 5pm-7pm. The bigger issue is that if I insist on him staying in bed, he wakes up the others in his room (either from crying or from playing) but if I let him wander I wake up to a stuffed toilet and the milk spilled all over the kitchen floor.
I'm up now since 5:20 and already put him back into his bed 6 times and I'm so tired the rest of the day which makes me a not good parent as well as he's not getting enough sleep. I don't think the clock will work with him but maybe I'll try.

cupcake123

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:03 am
No advice! I have the same age kid with a similar prob we have the clock it worked for a week and now he just comes out again..... Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics