Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Foods that keep blood sugar steady?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:40 am
Are there specific foods (or drinks I guess) that do a better job of keeping one's blood sugar steady over yom kippur (all day is probably asking too much, but at least to start)

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:51 am
Beans non starchy vegetables.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:53 am
It is very important to eat to keep it steady. You have to talk to your doctor . Depending according your situation which you didnt share much.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 8:53 am
It might keep steady during day but once you break your fast it might go skyrocketing. Diabetics shoudnt fast. Ask your rav

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 8:55 am
OP here - I'm pregnant with borderline sugar - allowed to fast just trying to set up for success.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are there specific foods (or drinks I guess) that do a better job of keeping one's blood sugar steady over yom kippur (all day is probably asking too much, but at least to start)

I find that fats do a great job. Carbs are the worst.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here - I'm pregnant with borderline sugar - allowed to fast just trying to set up for success.

I fasted with a glucose drip when I had GD

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:02 am
Zehava wrote:
I find that fats do a great job. Carbs are the worst.

Full fat ice cream does it for me. Think Haagen Dazs

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Before or after the fast?

simchamommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:14 am
All the sugar in the ice cream doesn't do a number on your body right after you eat?

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Yes. I would eat one cup at night and my fasting numbers were great the next morning.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:27 am
simchamommy wrote:
All the sugar in the ice cream doesn't do a number on your body right after you eat?

I’d go for low-carb. Max 15 carbs

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
fats and proteins

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:35 am
simchamommy wrote:

Nope. On recc of endocrinologist.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Before or after the fast?

Before. But it won’t spike you after either

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 9:50 am
my doctor instructed me to do intermittent fasting at least22 hours a day fo 5-6 days a week to eliminate type 2 diabetes brought on by compulsively overeating unhealthy food for years and years.

It worked!

My AIC dropped significantly- close to 4 points in 3 months.
I need to maintain this for at least a year and then I am Gd willing off all my diabetes meds.

My food consists of 75% vegetables cooked/raw and 25% protein.
Think HUGE salad with a good dressing topped with shredded chicken and sliced almonds.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:09 am
My Glucose is pretty much a straight line during fasts. (Edited to add, and when eating.)The more carbs you eat, the higher and lower it goes. Also the more you’ll want to eat after your last meal.

That bit about diabetics Not fasting is not correct. For Type 2 diabetics and those non insulin dependent it’s a great way to lower and stabilize blood sugar. Type ones and insulin dependent need to work around their meds so the fo t pass out but it’s true for all diabetics that carbs cause raised glucose and will not keep your blood glucose steady, but spike it. Jason Fung has treated thousands of diabetics into remission via intermittently fasting. 25 hours is short compared to what some of his patients do- although they drink water!

To help avoid dehydration consume salt in small doses over the day prior. Like 1/4 tsp at a time with enough water (4-6 ounces) about every other hour. Drink normally the rest of the time.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:26 am
I felt a clear positive effect when eating quinoa both for seuda mafsekes and anbeissen...

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:29 am
ValleyMom wrote:
my doctor instructed me to do intermittent fasting at least22 hours a day fo 5-6 days a week to eliminate type 2 diabetes brought on by compulsively overeating unhealthy food for years and years.

It worked!

My AIC dropped significantly- close to 4 points in 3 months.
I need to maintain this for at least a year and then I am Gd willing off all my diabetes meds.

My food consists of 75% vegetables cooked/raw and 25% protein.
Think HUGE salad with a good dressing topped with shredded chicken and sliced almonds.
wow, so you only ate 2 hours a day? In essense, one meal a day?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:39 am
Fat stabilized BG. I’m not sure how that can help the next day though. Breaking the fast is a lot more challenging. Any carbs causes the numbers to skyrocket
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur