Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you clean an oven that has no self clean option?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 5:53 am
Title says it all. It’s full of oil stains on door and floor of oven is dirty from spills. No self clean option. What do I do?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:28 am
I never ever ever self clean because of my severe pyrophobia.
Instead, I use this Easy Off Professional Fume Free Max Oven Cleaner, Lemon 24 Ounce (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007.....4BC82

Spray well, let sit overnight, wipe away with a wet rag

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:40 am
I just ordered it. TYSM

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I never ever ever self clean because of my severe pyrophobia.
Instead, I use this Easy Off Professional Fume Free Max Oven Cleaner, Lemon 24 Ounce (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007.....4BC82

Spray well, let sit overnight, wipe away with a wet rag

This is what I did too before I had a self cleaning oven.

You can also try sprinkling baking soda and then spraying with diluted vinegar...but that does require more effort. The Easy Off is amazing.

abcde2

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:48 am
Turn oven on highest number. Leave it for about an hour. Let cool and spray with an oven cleaner like easy off.. Wash well.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:52 am
abcde2 wrote:
Turn oven on highest number. Leave it for about an hour. Let cool and spray with an oven cleaner like easy off.. Wash well.

What's the reason for turning on the oven first if you're letting it cool?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:52 am
First, sweep or vacuum away any loose crumbs, ash and so on. Next, use a damp cloth or sponge on all surfaces.
Start with the mildest product. Scrub with a paste of baking soda or Bon Ami powder and water, then wipe away residue with another damp cloth or five.
If that doesn't work, plug up the vents and any other openings in the oven with wet rags. then put a bowl or pan half full of plain ammonia on the oven shelf, close the door and leave overnight. Next day, don utility gloves, remove the bowl of ammonia, and wipe down the oven with a wet rag or ten. After you're sure it's clean, wipe again with water to which you've added a little bit of vinegar. DO NOT USE VINEGAR TILL YOU"RE SURE YOU"VE REMOVED ALL THE AMMONIA. Failure to do so will result in release of highly toxic vapors.
If that doesn't work, try a use commercially available oven cleaner, either a citrus-based type or the kind you spray on a cool oven and activate by turning the oven on.
As a LAST RESORT only, go for a lye-based formula like Easy-Off. WEAR GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, and a face mask. Face mask won't keep you from inhaling the vapors but will keep any overspray off your face. Discard or wash the mask after use. I would suggest this only if you need to completely strip the oven to kasher it. this stuff is evil and the nachas of a pristine oven is not worth the risk. lye burns are no joke.

abcde2

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:58 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
What's the reason for turning on the oven first if you're letting it cool?

Because I do not like washing hot ovens?
The spills and grime from the bottom of the oven turn into ash, making it very easy to wash away once oven is cooled.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:49 am
BTW removing the oven door makes the job much safer ergonomically. Your owner's manual will show you how to do this. If you lost yours, find the make and model number of the stove, usually on a tag or plate on the back panel, and Google on 'owner's manual Slattery Range model XZU1234'

incognito

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:09 pm
My oven does have self clean but it doesn’t help me. My warranty says I can’t use chemicals. How does anyone get the glass door clean of grease. I tried baking soda

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:37 pm
incognito wrote:
My oven does have self clean but it doesn’t help me. My warranty says I can’t use chemicals. How does anyone get the glass door clean of grease. I tried baking soda

Have you tried Easy Off's safe-for-self-cleaning-ovens cleaner?
Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven and Grill Cleaner Multi, 14.5 Ounce (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/4CzEtAH

incognito

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:52 pm
Thanks the warranty says though no chemicals but that doesn’t make any sense

incognito

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:56 pm
I had no idea that the regular easy off is a problem for self clean ovens thank you for letting me know

mama123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Title says it all. It’s full of oil stains on door and floor of oven is dirty from spills. No self clean option. What do I do?

With blood, sweat, and tears.
Okay, kidding aside, you’ll need to spray some Easy Off overnight and then scrub with lots of steel wool pads. Wear gloves.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:04 pm
incognito wrote:
Thanks the warranty says though no chemicals but that doesn’t make any sense

With some serious work, you can do it naturally.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66610
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry