Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
No Jewish funeral for RBG?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
AIUI, RBG was raised at least somewhat observant, but broke from it after her mother died. She was upset that women were not counted in a minyan, and that she was not allowed to say kaddish. So I doubt she was tinokos shenishbu.

But there's a huge difference between being "non-religious" and being "anti-religious." RBG was largely NON-religious, but she didn't not actively oppose anyone else's practice (ANTI-religious).

She was raised by going to a Conservative synagogue. So, she didn't leave Orthodoxy or religion specifically . Her parents probably came from Orthodox backgrounds in Europe, or her grandparents did. Her story is really not that different from many Jewish families who immigrated to the U S. in the early part of the 20th century. Not even that different from Bernie Sanders, who grew up in the same area (around 10 years later) except she actually identified more with Judaism than he does. If she had a rabbi (albeit Reform) likely she attended services at least on RH and YK.

malki2

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:00 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Do you have some sources that support that she was anti-religion and did not like religion? (which is very different from maintaining a liberal practice of a Jewish religious observance.)

Yes. Just read up on her a little. She left religion when she was told that she as a female was not allowed to say Kaddish.

malki2

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:02 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
That's not halachah at all. I suggest you learn a little more about the codification of Rambam's 13 principles of faith. They are more descriptive than prescriptive/proscriptive and were a result of living in a dominant Muslim culture where principle of belief were a way of thinking about G-d/the World, etc.

We are not in the year 1100. We are in the year 2020 and have a clear Mesorah from our recent gedolim (Chofetz Chaim, Chazon Ish, Brisker Rov et al) regarding the centrality of the 13 Ikkarim to Yiddishkeit.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
She was raised by going to a Conservative synagogue. So, she didn't leave Orthodoxy or religion specifically . Her parents probably came from Orthodox backgrounds in Europe, or her grandparents did. Her story is really not that different from many Jewish families who immigrated to the U S. in the early part of the 20th century. Not even that different from Bernie Sanders, who grew up in the same area (around 10 years later) except she actually identified more with Judaism than he does. If she had a rabbi (albeit Reform) likely she attended services at least on RH and YK.

Her husband clerked for RBG. I'm not sure she was a family rabbi so much as a family friend.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:10 pm
Reality wrote:
She's being buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

I guess her family isn't observant at all? I also was surprised that the family allowed her body to lie in state for so long. It's a very Christian thing to do.
How can a body lie in state without being embalmed, doesnt it start to go bad?

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:17 pm
malki2 wrote:
Yes. Just read up on her a little. She left religion when she was told that she as a female was not allowed to say Kaddish.

She had an issue with women not saying kaddish. ok. That doesn't mean she was anti religion.

malki2

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:20 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
She had an issue with women not saying kaddish. ok. That doesn't mean she was anti religion.

No. I read that from that moment on, she wanted nothing to do with religion. Meaning Halacha.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:22 pm
malki2 wrote:
No. I read that from that moment on, she wanted nothing to do with religion. Meaning Halacha.

Not wanting to practice religion is different than being anti-religion.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:25 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
How can a body lie in state without being embalmed, doesnt it start to go bad?

There are things I would prefer not to know. That's one of them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics