Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Hot water on potato kugel

nelliebly

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:23 pm
I read somewhere about pouring a cup of hot water over the kugel right before you bake it. Does anyone do this? How does it change the kugel?

sunshine23

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:25 pm
I read on imamother a while ago that ppl do it right before it's ready like 5 min before you take it out. I do it and it gives it a YYUM texture..like super moist and really good!
get tonz of compliments

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:27 pm
I add 1/2 cup of boiling water to the batter before it goes in the oven and I mix it before I pour it into the pan. It is just another ingredient along with the oil, salt, pepper, etc.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:28 pm
When I warm up a frozen kugel, I pour a cup of boiling water over the top right before placing in the hot oven. It helps crisp up the crust again.
Never heard of doing it with fresh kugel.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:32 pm
yes my recipe says to do that. Its a great recipe - lacy potatoe kugel from the kosher pallette.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:10 pm
nelliebly wrote:
I read somewhere about pouring a cup of hot water over the kugel right before you bake it. Does anyone do this? How does it change the kugel?

I've no idea how it changes the kugel, but I do it, and the kugel is delicious. I don't use any flour, and only 2 T oil (1 for the pan).

silverlining3

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:26 pm
My recipe call for water, though not necessarily hot.

But I did hear people pour water when warming up frozen, to get a crisp.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:58 pm
It supposed to give a delicious crust. It does but only as long as it's fresh. It lost that yummy crust afterwards.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:13 pm
When I make an overnight kugel, I pour hot chicken soup rather than water on it multiple times during baking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes