Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How am I supposed to work?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:39 pm
I work and we depend on 2 parent income for our budget to work. My boss has been really understanding. I cut down to 2 days a week when school stopped in March and my husband worked the other 4. Then I told boss I'd be full time again come Sept. The next week my daughter was exposed so I had to cut hours again for 14 days. She finally finished quarantine so I said I'm back.... now my kids have off all sukkos and then their school is delaying start for another 2 weeks after that.... how am I supposed to work? How can I pay tuition?

Ellie7

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:44 pm
I don’t know what either you or your DH do, but it sounds like you two need to tag-team in a way that lets you both work.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:47 pm
It's really hard. I work, not full time but all the hours my kids are in school. My son had a classmate of tested positive, and school has been closed for the last week. Personally, my boss was okay with me taking him to work with me and having him in my room listening to his conference calls. I do have my own office so wasn't like exposing anybody else. It's is a little bit insane though.
I'm not sure how they expect anybody to work if they keep on having kids in and out of school the entire year.
I'm just waiting until the schools are completely closed again, and then I don't know what I'm going to do. Last time around it did not work for me to work from home due to the nature of my job. I did it for a little while but it was way too hard.
If it happens again I don't know what I'm going to do honestly.
DH keeps on telling me to just quit my job because 90% of the time I end up having the kids with me at work, or I can go to work for a couple hours because schools are closed or end early.
Bh we could actually live on one income at this point, but it's much easier with both.

ETA.
DH works more than full-time, but he can be flexible so it was a very big help when everybody was home from school. When working from home didn't work out so well for me, we ended up just switching off and just working very late at night. I went to my office till really late and didn't really work much during the day.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:19 pm
OP, I have no advice only hugs.

Stars

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:48 pm
It’s frikin impossible!!! We are being asked to do the impossible.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:04 pm
You're not allowed to ask common sense questions like these. It's not P.C. to have any agenda other than to worry about the spread of covid, all day, every day.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, the silent majority of the population understands you and is struggling alongside you.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:53 pm
gold21 wrote:
You're not allowed to ask common sense questions like these. It's not P.C. to have any agenda other than to worry about the spread of covid, all day, every day.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, the silent majority of the population understands you and is struggling alongside you.

THIS! I wonder how everyone else does it. I work 4 days a week and desperately need the income. How is this not an issue? Are we all supposed to give up our jobs?

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:57 pm
No one has a good answer. The schools are trying to figure out how to maximize being allowed to stay open but it's hard because the government doesn't see that as a value.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:58 pm
No answers, but I feel you.

Between the recent realities of COVID and the fact that I don't feel like many frum schools care that many families don't have a stay at home parent (either 2 working parents, or single parents (like me)), it's really hard.

At least now, some of my kids are old enough to watch the little one when I have to be at work.

This I will say, when I'd deal with my local hefker day school changing the calendar, having no after care, having tons of days off or half days, etc., as well as normal things like snow or sick days, cvs, I found that Hashem always helped in some way or another. I just chose to try to stop worrying, prudently save PTO for unplanned stuff (I didn't take vacations for years, always worked chol hamoed), and just trust that if Hashem wanted my kids in this school it would work. If Hashem wanted me home from work that day, that's where I am to be.

BH It's always worked out, even though many times I had no idea how it would and I do have a lot of grey hairs and wasted sleepless nights of worry to go with it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:47 pm
Thanks everyone! The moral support goes a long way. I was freaking out at 5am....

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:57 am
The people making the Corona laws are old rich men who only care about saving themselves from the flu. They couldn't care less about you or your children. Sad but true.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:02 am
Is there any part of your job that can be performed from home?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:11 am
gold21 wrote:

It doesn't have to be either/or. Caring about public health properly would actually IMPROVE the situation of schools and work places.

If more people worried about the spread of Covid, fewer people would be exposed, fewer places would need lockdowns, fewer people would be out of work, and fewer hospitals would be operating at 125% capacity.

OP, you can thank the people who think that laws don't apply to them, for your current situation. I'm out of work too, and I feel you. I've already had Covid, I probably have tons of antibodies, but thanks to the scoff-laws, I have to suffer along with everyone else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics