Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Two year old's bed time takes 3 hours
Previous  1  2

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:02 am
They have cribs with a tent that is zippered shut and the child can't get out.

I think you should be very firm - even if it means your baby wakes up for a week or two
until she learns WHO IS THE BOSS (and it better not be the kid).

There has to be a consequence for screaming/crying loudly - like the door or light can be open
or the sound machine can be on - only if she is quiet..

If she stops screaming, then she can have the light, door open, sound machine, doll etc. back.

Good Friend

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:30 am
Thank you so much all of you for the suggestions! Several of them sound practical for my daughter. Especially amother Mint- it sounds so similar to our situation and the advice doable.
I'm excited to try it!

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:40 am
#BestBubby wrote:
They have cribs with a tent that is zippered shut and the child can't get out.

This would seem dangerous, reckless and irresponsable to me.

Quote:
I think you should be very firm - even if it means your baby wakes up for a week or two
until she learns WHO IS THE BOSS (and it better not be the kid).

I don't think it's a good idea to intimidate a child when you want the child to sleep.
Quote:

There has to be a consequence for screaming/crying loudly - like the door or light can be open
or the sound machine can be on - only if she is quiet..

If she stops screaming, then she can have the light, door open, sound machine, doll etc. back.

This sounds like you are making sleeping a power struggle. That's not what it should be.

The child and the parent should both be in a relaxed state. there is no forcing a child to sleep...

This kind of advice would be catastrophic for a child with sensory issues or a hyperactive child or a child that just needs less sleep than others...

It reeks of unfettered violence.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
This sounds like you are making sleeping a power struggle. That's not what it should be.

The child and the parent should both be in a relaxed state. there is no forcing a child to sleep...

This kind of advice would be catastrophic for a child with sensory issues or a hyperactive child or a child that just needs less sleep than others...

It reeks of unfettered violence.

1. The tents were created for safety - to keep special needs kids from wandering around
unsupervised.

2. I did not advocate any violence at all.

3. You can't force a child to sleep - but you can institute policies to keep the child in bed and quiet.

If after a few weeks of getting the child to stay in bed and quiet and she still can't sleep, then I would consider doing a later bedtime with the child restricted to her bed, but allowed to play with books and toys with the light on.

Also, maybe try melatonin as the child may have a deficiency that is interfering with sleep.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:36 pm
You can try one of two things:

1) Put her to bed later! The whole power struggle is so not worth it. Let her play and chill and she'll show you cues when she's starting to get tired.

2) or, give her 1/4 melochew (that's 1/4 mg) for 2-3 nights, so that she gets a boost of melatonin and falls asleep more easily. You can stop it after a few nights once she gets into the routine of, "we go to bed and we fall asleep." Kids who struggle to fall asleep get amped up from the struggle and then have an either harder time falling asleep. This may give her brain a little push to associate bed with sleep.

Good luck!

pause

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:18 pm
My kids wake up between 7:00 and 8:00 am. When they nap, it's at 11:00, latest noon. They usually give up their nap somewhere between age 2 and 2.5 which means that they simply don't fall asleep when put into the crib. After 45 min-1 hour of playing in the crib, I'll take the kid out and not try again to put them to sleep until evening. If they napped, bedtime was closer to 8:00, but if they didn't, it's 7:00 punctually. So bath starts no later than 6:00 or else I skip it, PJ's at 6:30, book or songs or whatever that kid wants, and by 6:50-7:00, lights out and the kid usually conks out.

You're saying your child didn't do well without a nap, but that's what I would try again. Not just for a day or two because it takes time for their body to adjust. For at least a week, skip the nap and then put her to sleep earlier.

Good luck!

Please don't drug her up or bribe her or threaten or anything else... Proper sleeping habits require patience and consistency, not quick-fixes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics