Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you wear your wedding rings on Yom Kippur?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:35 am
My wedding ring is gold. Do I take it off for YK along with my other gold jewelry or can I leave it on?

chicco

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:44 am
I think anything that you wear all of the time is ok.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:04 am
Not wearing gold is a minhag and not Halacha. I’ve never known anyone to not wear her wedding ring.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:10 am
I like the feeling of going into YK with absolutely nothing of value on me. It's a minhag that I really like, but I was never taught that it was halacha.

I've always taken off all of my jewelry - unless my hands are so swollen that I can't get my rings off. There's no mitzva to amputate digits to remove a gold ring! (I rely on that for washing for bread, too. Some days my rings just won't budge, no matter what.)

I also like to wear white or light cream colors, even though it's often not done in mixed communities.

(You always know who only comes to shul on YK. She's the one in the classy black pant suit, with all of her gold jewelry on, and way too much perfume. All I can say is "Bless her heart, she made it to shul! May she have a good year, and draw closer to yiddishkeit." When I see ladies like that, I go out of my way to greet them.)

aliavi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:13 am
I don’t wear any jewelry or makeup on YK but I would have to put it on that day because I don’t keep them on. It’s in mishna brura IIRC. By us weekday jewelry is fine Shabbos or YT jewelry isn’t.

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:56 am
Yes, I wear my wedding ring and sometimes non gold earrings but no other jewelry.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:59 am
I was always taught if you don't take it off it's fine. I have gold jewelry besides my rings that I don't take off. Earrings are something I actively change every day so I make sure they are no gold

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I like the feeling of going into YK with absolutely nothing of value on me. It's a minhag that I really like, but I was never taught that it was halacha.

I've always taken off all of my jewelry - unless my hands are so swollen that I can't get my rings off. There's no mitzva to amputate digits to remove a gold ring! (I rely on that for washing for bread, too. Some days my rings just won't budge, no matter what.)

I also like to wear white or light cream colors, even though it's often not done in mixed communities.

(You always know who only comes to shul on YK. She's the one in the classy black pant suit, with all of her gold jewelry on, and way too much perfume. All I can say is "Bless her heart, she made it to shul! May she have a good year, and draw closer to yiddishkeit." When I see ladies like that, I go out of my way to greet them.)

This is such an patronizing comment and makes me ill. Please, do women like this a favor and don't go out of your way to greet them.

If this is the attitude you walk away with on yom Kippur, these ladies in pants, gold jewelry, and perfume should be thinking "Aww, bless her heart, with her sheitel and skirt and long sleeves she actually thinks she's gotten the point of yom Kippur" about you, and take the time to greet you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics