Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mask challenge brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:49 pm
The fact is that theres a spread of new cases in bp and other brooklyn areas currently. The city wants to see visible signs that we are adhering to behaviors that will stop the spread.

I dare all Brooklynites, especially all my bp neighbors, to wear a mask in the coming week. Whether you believe it works or not, isn't it a small price to pay to keep our yeshivas, schools and shuls open?!?

Never mind staying healthy and not putting lives In danger. That's not a point I'll make since I'm in the small minority that believes even one life saved is worth sacrificing. But I'll talk to your comfort and wanting life to continue normally - wear a mask and save the situation

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The fact is that theres a spread of new cases in bp and other brooklyn areas currently. The city wants to see visible signs that we are adhering to behaviors that will stop the spread.

I dare all Brooklynites, especially all my bp neighbors, to wear a mask in the coming week. Whether you believe it works or not, isn't it a small price to pay to keep our yeshivas, schools and shuls open?!?

Never mind staying healthy and not putting lives In danger. That's not a point I'll make since I'm in the small minority that believes even one life saved is worth sacrificing. But I'll talk to your comfort and wanting life to continue normally - wear a mask and save the situation

That is nice but the city cannot make laws like this, only the governor can and there is no law mandating anyone to wear masks in public, only indoors and when you cant socially distance. And the city or state cannot make laws singling out the Jews so if they allow non-Jews to gather with thousands of people at protests and riots then they have to allow Jews to gather for prayer. A judge already ruled on this and deblasio will be in contempt of court if he tries to stop the Jews from gathering to pray.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:15 am
He is not threatening to stop the praying. He is saying that if theres a. Continued spike , he will limit gatherings to 10 people and close schools. The fact is we have people getting sick. We need to do our part if we dont want the city to get involved

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He is not threatening to stop the praying. He is saying that if theres a. Continued spike , he will limit gatherings to 10 people and close schools. The fact is we have people getting sick. We need to do our part if we dont want the city to get involved

He cannot limit gatherings for prayers that go against the court order so if he tries to limit it to 10 then he would be in contempt of court. If he wants to stop Jews from gathering then he needs to stop the protests but since that is not happening then he cant stop Jews from gathering either.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Well protests weren't limited to 10 people and our rights to gather for prayer are just as constitutional as the right to protest. The fact that some of us are willing to put up with the government's two-facedness makes me sad and mad.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:23 am
Let's do masked minyanim, outdoors, just like the protests.

Then we will see if they are really targeting us.

It's only fair to compare apples to apples.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:29 am
youngishbear wrote:
Let's do masked minyanim, outdoors, just like the protests.

Then we will see if they are really targeting us.

It's only fair to compare apples to apples.

Right because the protests were carried out by masked individuals? Did they also socially distance? And not enter any indoor stores to loot? Banging head

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:33 am
I'm certainly planning to wear my mask iyh. I wanted to do it all along but felt very silly being the only one. Now that it's being asked of us again I'll happily do it.
And I'm busy arguing with other ppl in my community who are still against it. I dont get it. sigh.

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:43 am
I just hope that people will wear it not only outside to show the city we're complying, but inside where it really matters

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:48 am
I wear a mask in taxis, in stores etc. But why on earth do I need to wear a mask walking down an empty street? Standing on front of my house? There is common sense and then stupidity. Like the people driving with masks.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:51 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I wear a mask in taxis, in stores etc. But why on earth do I need to wear a mask walking down an empty street? Standing on front of my house? There is common sense and then stupidity. Like the people driving with masks.

And of course there’s politics too.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:55 am

There's no need to wear a mask if there aren't any people in sight, but the neighborhoods where people are being asked to wear masks outside are in crowded urban areas where it's nearly impossible to social distance. And the people wearing masks in cars may prefer not to touch their faces unnecessarily by putting masks on and off as they run errands.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:55 am
Double post

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:13 am

Agree, although streets in the frum areas of Brooklyn are far from empty. We can be right or we can risk our schools and businesses closed.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:14 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Right because the protests were carried out by masked individuals? Did they also socially distance? And not enter any indoor stores to loot? Banging head

Evidence of my own eyes says yes, mostly, to the masks.

No to the social distance (which I didn't mention in my post, and is less of an issue outdoors, with masks, anyway), and the looting was not supported by anyone in authority.

But who's bothering to think in shades of gray nowadays, anyway, right?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:49 am
Masks are for Purim. I dare everyone to stand up for your rights and not let yourself be muzzled. U less you're high risk -- then stay home and when you can't wear the N95.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics