Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Cant afford a sukkah
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:04 am
We cant afford a sukkah. We currently have $50 in our account and that's before buying any food for yom tov.

We're under lockdown so we dont have a choice but to make our own and I just want to cry.

Are we the only ones in this situation? What are people doing?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:11 am
No gmachim where you live?
No local paper with lshem mitzva giveaways?

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:15 am
Do you live in Lakewood? We are away for the Chag this year and aren't using our beautiful succah. Would you like to borrow it?

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:17 am
IDK about rules there, but where we are, people who have a sukkah are offering for people to come to it when they're not using it.

You bring over your own food and utensils.

Is there anything like that near you?

solo

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:17 am
Just got a WhatsApp about a sukkah Gemach in Brooklyn

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:20 am
So sorry. Maybe share location.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:20 am
DVOM wrote:
Do you live in Lakewood? We are away for the Chag this year and aren't using our beautiful succah. Would you like to borrow it?

That's so nice of you! We are in the UK so abit too far!Wink

I just wonder how people are doing it? I guess alot of young people aren't keeping the lockdown and are just eating out.

My parents and inlaws are both not young so we've been so careful we've not eaten at them since purim time.

I'm beyond stressed.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:21 am
We're using a neighbors sukkah. Going to be annoying to carry everything for each meal, and to go back and forth but we'll try to be organized.
We usually go to in laws but can't because of Covid +.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:23 am
imasinger wrote:
IDK about rules there, but where we are, people who have a sukkah are offering for people to come to it when they're not using it.

You bring over your own food and utensils.

Is there anything like that near you?

That's a really sweet idea but practically doubt it would work for us as we have young kids and would probably be asleep by the night meals. Keeping them up until someone else has finished their meal would just be crazy!

Hashems has never let us down till now so I guess he just wants us to hold our breath until our yeshuah!

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's so nice of you! We are in the UK so abit too far!Wink

I just wonder how people are doing it? I guess alot of young people aren't keeping the lockdown and are just eating out.

My parents and inlaws are both not young so we've been so careful we've not eaten at them since purim time.

I'm beyond stressed.

I'm sorry we can't be more helpful!

It sounds very stressful.

Can you call around to neighbors and friends? Perhaps someone has a succah they're not using? In past years, we have neighbors who are home only for the first days, or only for the second days, or only for the last days, while we are away for part of the chag, and they've used our succah while we were away, another neighbors succah while they were away... not sure if I'm making loads of sense. Hopefully you get my meaning!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:50 am
Can you build one from any materials you can get your hands on? Improvise? Fulfill the halachic minimum requirements? You need a minimum of 2 walls and a tefach of a third. Your house wall is already one. So you need one other wall and a tefach of a third. Ask your Rav for details. And branches or twigs are perfectly valid as s'chach. Do you have a garden or know anyone nearby who has, to cut or collect some? Voila. It might not be much of an eye catcher but with the lockdown, few people will see it and you'll fulfill the mitzva.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:53 am
I would like to donate to your cause. Please let me know how.

syrima

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:59 am
Only your husband really has to eat in the sukkah.
You can eat the night meal with the kids early and put them into bed.

Goldie613

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:01 am
Are there any shuls by you that are putting up sukkahs? Can you use those?

If not - you don't have to put up a fancy one - I know plenty of people who get pvc pipes from a hardware store and just attach tarps, sheets or shower curtains for walls. All of that is fairly cheap and then it's just a question of rigging a schach. I don't know the exact halachas, but I believe even branches may be usable (as opposed to buying bamboo), put please check with your local Rav about that part.

I've seen people make them out of boxes, crates, wood panels they had lying around - almost anything. Depending on how your house/driveway is set up, you may have a couple of walls already, just by using an outside wall or two of your house.

Also - google is your friend! If you don't mind getting creative and doing more of the work yourself, there are plenty of suggestions online. Try these for starters =

http://www.neohasid.org/sukkot.....kkah/

https://freshpatio.com/13-diy-.....kkot/

https://kosheronabudget.com/bu.....dget/

I hope some of this helps - chag sameach :-)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:20 am
Sounds so hard.

With that little money, please don't spend even a dime on a succah. Your husband can use your shul's or a neighbors succah. Women and young children can eat the meals at home.

I hope your community provides food for the poor for Yom tov. $50 in the bank is not enough for food.

Hashem should help you soon.

rising hero

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 10:03 am
Are there any organizations that you can reach out to? Theyre there for you and for anybody who needs. You might be uncomfortable to take charity but people give thinking that those who need it will get. And iyh when you'll be in a better position you'll give back.

happyone

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:17 am
please share a location or chasepay address. I'm sure there are so here that have leads for a sukka or can help out a bit.

I'm sorry for your difficulties , may this year bring parnassah and peace to your family.

IvriAnochi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:24 am
My husband and I will be more than happy to help you out. If you like, you can PM me your PayPal

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We cant afford a sukkah. We currently have $50 in our account and that's before buying any food for yom tov.

We're under lockdown so we dont have a choice but to make our own and I just want to cry.

Are we the only ones in this situation? What are people doing?

Don't you have the concept of a community sukka?

Where we live, there are at least half a dozen community sukkot in town, where people can just come and bring everything...

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Don't you have the concept of a community sukka?

Where we live, there are at least half a dozen community sukkot in town, where people can just come and bring everything...

During a lockdown??
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics