Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing method for separating leaves for stuffed cabbage?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:27 pm
What is the freezing method for checking and separating cabbage leaves for stuffed cabbage?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:31 pm
Freeze whole head of cabbage for 48 hours. Thaw. Leaves will be pliable and translucent, so easy to check and stuff.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:41 pm
Thank you so much!!

avrahamama

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:44 pm
How do you check it? Do you soak the leaves? Can you give a step by step? Or link to one? I've always wanted to make stuffed cabbage.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:06 pm
avrahamama wrote:
How do you check it? Do you soak the leaves? Can you give a step by step? Or link to one? I've always wanted to make stuffed cabbage.
Separate the thawed leaves. Just check in the light and wash under running water. It's half the work after freezing for 2 days.

Otherwise you'd wash the fresh leaves well, then place in soapy water and agitate them for 15 seconds. Remove and check the water near the light. If insects are found in the water, repeat washing agitating and checking. If insects are still found after 3 times, discard due to infestation.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:45 pm
I’ve used the freezing method but find that the cabbage still stays tough and stringy and difficult to cut as you’re eating. I’ve found that only boiling softens them enough. It’s a pain though Mad

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I’ve used the freezing method but find that the cabbage still stays tough and stringy and difficult to cut as you’re eating. I’ve found that only boiling softens them enough. It’s a pain though Mad

If it's pliable enough to roll, it's soft enough to eat after cooking the stuffed cabbage. No need to boil first. Remember to trim any tough membrane (the spine of the leaf).

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Freeze whole head of cabbage for 48 hours. Thaw. Leaves will be pliable and translucent, so easy to check and stuff.

Do I do the same thing to stop breastmilk from coming in? (Not the checking, the freezing so it's pliable.)

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:55 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Do I do the same thing to stop breastmilk from coming in? (Not the checking, the freezing so it's pliable.)

I don't think you're supposed to cook or freeze the cabbage before using it for what you're asking.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't think you're supposed to cook or freeze the cabbage before using it for what you're asking.

Ok glad I asked then! Guess I'll ask the nurse from the maternity ward.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:42 am
Can I boil the individual leaves after I separate/check them with the defrosting method?

egam

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:02 am
ra_mom wrote:
If it's pliable enough to roll, it's soft enough to eat after cooking the stuffed cabbage. No need to boil first. Remember to trim any tough membrane (the spine of the leaf).

In my experience, the cabbage comes out quite rubbery to eat with the freezing method.

sub

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:02 am
I boil the head whole. The freezer method made it too soggy.
To remove the leaves cut around the root and and slowly peel frim there.
The mistake is to peel from the top
Then it tears

s c

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:08 am
I always freeze. Comes out so easy to pull apart, rinse and roll up. So much less bother and cant see any difference in taste to boiling

naomi1

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:20 am
After freezing the cabbage, when do you take it out to defrost before using?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I boil the individual leaves after I separate/check them with the defrosting method?

Yes.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:24 am
naomi1 wrote:
After freezing the cabbage, when do you take it out to defrost before using?

Either the night before to thaw on the counter so you can use it in the morning. Or in the morning, if you want to use it that evening.

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:31 am
I've never liked the freezing method. I much prefer to core it then steam the whole head, cored-side down so the heat loosens the base of the leaves. It also works best for making the leaves as least soggy as possible (the leaves are so watery after freezing, imo, and there's a lot of excess water with boiling, too).

naomi1

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 10:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
Either the night before to thaw on the counter so you can use it in the morning. Or in the morning, if you want to use it that evening.

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen