Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Iso trip ideas for Sukkos chol hamoed 2020
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:24 pm
UQT wrote:
Cheery crest farm in Lancaster just advertised in the shopper they will be open Wednesday Cholim hamoed. All outdoors. Great all day trip. Two hours from Lakewood. My kids favorite destination.

great! anything else around there thats open?

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:30 pm
Check the frum weekly publications. Most are starting to list chol hamoed options in the tri state area.
Of course since choices are limited this year most places will be crowded.

UQT

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:22 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
What’s there to do actually ? Is there a Sukkah ?

They have loads of attractions - corn maize for the big kids, petting zoo, tractor rides, moonwalk the size of a football field, slingshots, obstical course a gorgeous kids area with a police station, store, school etc. kids can be busy for hours. And loads more. Good old fashion fun.
Don’t think they have a Succos but the Lancaster Shul nearby should have one.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Seems to be we’ll be having the same plans as pesach. Staying home and trying not to kill each other.

It was so good that the kids didn’t even ask for anything. Now they are expecting something already. Are the amusement parks open? Like Luna, Astroland?

UQT

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
great! anything else around there thats open?

It’s a full day trip but if you want to make it an overnight lookup Hershey park, chocolate world or Dutch wonderland. They are in the area but don’t know if they are open. Also check the strausberg railroad, choo choo barn, or the many horse and buggy rides in the area.

happy12

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:28 pm
DVOM wrote:
My husband and kids are building one. Part of the fun Smile. They've spent many afternoons drawing up designs, and it gets fancier and fancier. We'll see what it actually ends up looking like. The basic structure will be a cube frame lashed together with rope or zip ties, a schach roll on top, some slats across the midline of the frame (like a chair rail? This is apparently a halachic requirement.) No actual walls.

One of our Covid lockdown activities was building 'shelters' at every state park we went to. The only materiel we carried with us was rope for lashing. My kids and husband built some really cool structures from branches, trees, brush. I'm pretty confident the succah will get built, and will stay up. If it collapses, my husband will have to stick to shehakol foods or rebuild!

Just check the halachos clearly. You do need two complete walls and a little of a third. A wall has to go from almost the bottom to almost the top.

malky800

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:32 pm
What about outdoors nice parks possibly north in CT?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:52 pm
Any fruit picking ideas within an hour from Brooklyn?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:12 am
happy12 wrote:
Just check the halachos clearly. You do need two complete walls and a little of a third. A wall has to go from almost the bottom to almost the top.

That is what the chair rails are for that she mentioned. If a succah has walls that shake - like most canvas succos - you need to have at least 4 straps. Those are the walls. The actual canvas walls are useless on many succos (we have a canvas portable succah and only rely on the chair rail straps to make it kosher. Not the canvas). Ppl also rely on 1/2 deck walls for this reason. But if relying on chaircrails or 1/2 deck walls you need more walls. (I think 3 complete walls).

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:17 am
Someone on another thread mentioned that there is a rental with minyan available in the poconos. It's listed on vrbo.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:23 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

Great idea! Following.

aliavi

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:26 am
NYS Parks has an app that’s pretty good. We plan to go to a new park we found on the app as a day trip.

happy12

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
That is what the chair rails are for that she mentioned. If a succah has walls that shake - like most canvas succos - you need to have at least 4 straps. Those are the walls. The actual canvas walls are useless on many succos (we have a canvas portable succah and only rely on the chair rail straps to make it kosher. Not the canvas). Ppl also rely on 1/2 deck walls for this reason. But if relying on chaircrails or 1/2 deck walls you need more walls. (I think 3 complete walls).

She wrote chair rails and no walls.
Then all you have is a frame with schach.
Definitely not kosher.
Your succah has canvas as walls, with chair rails to make it sturdy. That is totally different than just chair rails.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:43 am
happy12 wrote:
Definitely not kosher.
Your succah has canvas as walls, with chair rails to make it sturdy. That is totally different than just chair rails.

The canvas walls are for privacy. They have nothing to go with making the succah kosher. You can have a kosher succah with 1/2 height walls too.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:54 am
happy12 wrote:
Definitely no likelatticet kosher.

Lavud means the walls can be like lattice

peacenine

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Someone on another thread mentioned that there is a rental with minyan available in the poconos. It's listed on vrbo.

Do you have a link to the thread?

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:15 am
UQT wrote:
Cheery crest farm in Lancaster just advertised in the shopper they will be open Wednesday Cholim hamoed. All outdoors. Great all day trip. Two hours from Lakewood. My kids favorite destination.

Is there a contact number? Do we need to buy tickets in advanced?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Great idea! Following.

Battleview orchard in freehold nj has apple picking. We plan to go to

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

Lee turkey farm

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:02 am
peacenine wrote:
Do you have a link to the thread?

no link but you can look on vrbo.com in kunkletown, pa. There are other rentals in the area also, I think and the minyan is open to all.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics