Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ner Yisroel Covid outbreak
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:12 pm
Just a word of warning that Ner Yisroel had a massive covid outbreak right before sending boys home for yom tov and many are testing positive back in their hometowns. Anyone with sons or family that have sons from New Yisroel should be vigilant in watching them for symptoms and/or have them tested.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just a word of warning that Ner Yisroel had a massive covid outbreak right before sending boys home for yom tov and many are testing positive back in their hometowns. Anyone with sons or family that have sons from New Yisroel should be vigilant in watching them for symptoms and/or have them tested.

Scranton also has a huge outbreak and they are still not sure if they are sending the boys home or allowing them to stay. We have a son there and it’s so horrible.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:19 pm
Why send them home? Let them quarantine in dorms.
Sending them home with covid is what will cause Spread of infection to other communities.

lasagna

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:19 pm
To be clear, Ner Yisrael did not send anyone home. Parents panicked and picked up their kids before the yeshiva even had a chance to convince them otherwise. There are many bochurim in the dorms qaurantined in groups A which have it and group B which is exposed.
All the shuls in Baltimore have basically banned anyone having any contact with ner Yisrael people.

Last edited by lasagna on Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:20 pm
My son is in Israel shana aleph and there is a covid outbreak. He's been there about 5 weeks and his school was only out of quarantine for 1 week.

He and the other boys have literally been confined to their dorm floors with some shiurim on Zoom and food brought to them.

I do wonder if we didn't make a huge mistake sending him all that way to only see the inside of a dorm building. He could have stayed home and done Zoom beis medrash at our local yeshiva and at least have been more protected from covid.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Why send them home? Let them quarantine in dorms.
Sending them home with covid is what will cause Spread of infection to other communities.

Exactly. And Scranton is still not sure what they will do. We told our son if he comes home, it means we ALL have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Only some of the bochrim were tested. He “thinks” they are getting tested on Tuesday but it does no good. This is a public health matter. The only way to keep this contained to the yeshiva is to keep them all there. But no word yet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:23 pm
DS#2 was in Scranton for Rosh Hashana but they're discouraging people from coming there for YK. He had Covid in March and still has antibodies (tested 2 weeks ago).

If you have a son who is coming home, be smart and isolate him even if he has no symptoms! We did that in March — DS#2 became ill a few days after coming home from BMG, but nobody else here got sick.

sub

lasagna wrote:
To be clear, Ner Yisrael did not send anyone home. Parents panicked and picked up their kids before the yeshiva even had a chance to convince them otherwise. There are many bochurim in the dorms qaurantined in groups A which have it and group B which is exposed.
All the shuls in Baltimore have basically banned anyone having any contact with ner Yisrael people.

Refuah shlaima to all of them

amother
OP

lasagna wrote:

They are being banned from shuls here too. They have to quarantine for I think 14 days before they can go to shul. They have to wear masks at home with their family and conduct themselves as if they might have covid until they are far enough out from their time at school to get tested with a reliable result. They even have to eat in the sukkah separately.

It's really a shame.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:26 pm
Oh my which yeshiva Shana aleph in israel?!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:28 pm
So to be clear
With all the masks and sding the virus is still here. Like my dad says
We have planes and bombs and all kinds of weapons
And all kinds of scientific knowledge
And this tiny virus has control and wreaking havoc
Hmm, who is in charge?
The one above.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Exactly. And Scranton is still not sure what they will do. We told our son if he comes home, it means we ALL have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Only some of the bochrim were tested. He “thinks” they are getting tested on Tuesday but it does no good. This is a public health matter. The only way to keep this contained to the yeshiva is to keep them all there. But no word yet.

Word just came. They are letting the boys stay for sukkos.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
So to be clear
With all the masks and sding the virus is still here. Like my dad says
We have planes and bombs and all kinds of weapons
And all kinds of scientific knowledge
And this tiny virus has control and wreaking havoc
Hmm, who is in charge?
The one above.

From what I understand there were no masks, social distancing, or attempts to divide students into separate pods at Ner. The school somehow worked out an arrangement where they could make their own school guidelines apart from the DOH, which basically meant, business as usual. Hence, the outbreak.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:35 pm
[Lemon re: Scranton ] wrote:
Word just came. They are letting the boys stay for sukkos.

Good. That should contain it if the boys are isolated.

lasagna

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From what I understand there were no masks, social distancing, or attempts to divide students into separate pods at Ner. The school somehow worked out an arrangement where they could make their own school guidelines apart from the DOH, which basically meant, business as usual. Hence, the outbreak.

That is not true. Before all the bochurim came back they had to test negative. Then once in yeshiva they did a mass testing of the kollel and the bochurim. They separated the kollel and the bochurim in diff buildings and they ate separately. Yes, the bochurim did not need to wear masks, but they tested negative and were fine this entire zman. Plz don't make it sound like they took no precautions and were negligent. Oh, and they had specific bathrooms for x amnt of boys to use.

Edited to correct spelling errors

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:59 pm
lasagna wrote:
That is not true. Before all the bochurim came back they had to test negative. Then once in yeshiva they did a mass testing of the kollel and the bochurim. They separated the kollel and the bochurim in diff buildings and they ate separately. Yes, the bochurim did not need to wear masks, but they tested negative and were fine this entire zman. Plz don't make it sound like they took no precautions and were negligent. Oh, and they had specific bathrooms for x amnt of boys to use.

Edited to correct spelling errors

Basically they didn't follow the established guidelines set out by the state and instead sought out their own experts to institute procedures that don't meet state state standards. They had no protocol in place for what they would do if covid cases popped up, hence the hefker panic when things hit the fan with some parents pulling positive kids out of school to infect their hometowns and others remaining in yeshiva.

lasagna

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Basically they didn't follow the established guidelines set out by the state and instead sought out their own experts to institute procedures that don't meet state state standards. They had no protocol in place for what they would do if covid cases popped up, hence the hefker panic when things hit the fan with some parents pulling positive kids out of school to infect their hometowns and others remaining in yeshiva.

Again, not true. The yeshiva had a plan in place and instituted it expertly when it came time. Unfortunately, covid spreads really fast, especially in a dorm situation. Everyone who sent knew the risk and by sending they agreed to such a risk.
OP, what do you have to do with Ner? Where are you getting your info from?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:04 pm
I am a parent of a Ner Isreal boy, my son tested positive. I am so impressed with teh plan that was put in place, Ner Israel was a real bubble, it worked so well, nobody allowed in or out etc.
the outbreak has been traced to a guest who came in for RH without permission.
after all their hard work making it a safe place to be, that was their downfall. somebody else coming in and ruining it.
pls daven for the boys who are sick.
I am the OP of the humidifier thread, I am really worried about my son.
and he was super responsible and has been fully quarantining all this time since the outbreak began

please dont bash the yeshiva. Focus your thoughts on the innocents who are sick. thank you
gmar chasimah toavah

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:07 pm
My son yeshiva had it two weeks ago. They closed the bais medrash. Boy with antibodies stayed in the dorm. Boy with covid were isolated in a house on campus and had their own minyan for rosh hashana .Boys in quaritine (no antibodies) wereally isolated in a different house on campus with their own minyan.
This way no one went home and spread it to their hometowns. They are hoping everyone will be testing negative before succos.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I am a parent of a Ner Isreal boy, my son tested positive. I am so impressed with teh plan that was put in place, Ner Israel was a real bubble, it worked so well, nobody allowed in or out etc.
the outbreak has been traced to a guest who came in for RH without permission.
after all their hard work making it a safe place to be, that was their downfall. somebody else coming in and ruining it.
pls daven for the boys who are sick.
I am the OP of the humidifier thread, I am really worried about my son.
and he was super responsible and has been fully quarantining all this time since the outbreak began

please dont bash the yeshiva. Focus your thoughts on the innocents who are sick. thank you
gmar chasimah toavah

First a full and complete refuah to all.
Second thanx for the info, I was wondering how they got sick with all the precautions. Did the guest know he was a carrier if the virus.?
This just shows us that while we need to do our hishtadlus, we should stop and think before bashing anybody. Hakol mishamayim.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics