Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Recommendations for "better" makeup

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:04 pm
I wear a full face of makeup every day, mostly Revlon--foundation, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick.
For an upcoming family simcha, I would ordinarily get my makeup done, but I'm not comfortable with that right now.
I'm looking for recommendations for additional products I might want to use to get a more polished/special look--face and eye primer, bronzer or highlighter, etc.
What might I want to add to my normal routine for this occasion?
Thank you.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:11 pm
Mac paint pot for eye shadow primer
Becca highlighter
Marc Jacob's omega bronzer

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:15 pm
That's what I did recently.
I like:
Bobbi brown shadow sticks (use two colors)
Liquid liner
Marc Jacobs gold highlighter
Stila lipstick

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:41 pm
I also really like becca primers. And I use bare minerals foundation, and eyeshadow primer (any brand) is a must.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:23 pm
I used Estee Lauder double wear foundation because it is supposed to be transfer proof, and I wanted to keep my makeup on my face, not my mask (which I took off for photos and back on for the rest of the event). You can also use a setting spray like Urban Decay all nighter. Sweating leads to transfer, regardless.

I also learned a little bit about contouring and blush placement on Youtube. How you apply makeup makes as much of a difference as what you put.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 1:39 pm
Ofra highlighters
Ofra and Dose of colors have great lipsticks.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:09 pm
Mazel Tov!
I use smashbox face primer on my clients. It looks beautiful with most foundations, and revlon is famous for their foundation!
I love the urban decay eye primer (call me basic, but it works!), but what really makes the difference is the quality of the eyeshadow. If you want to splurge, Anastasia Beverly Hills makes gorgeous palettes. If you want to buy singles, colorpop makes the most beautiful, velvety shimmers that are budget friendly.
Becca highlighters 10/10.
For bronzer, Benefit Hoola bronzer in natural bronze proves to be the most flattering across most skin tones.

If you want it to look legit professional, you gotta do lashes!! Use ardell individuals (size medium) with duo lash glue.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:10 pm
Get a good setting spray to keep makeup from running.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I used Estee Lauder double wear foundation because it is supposed to be transfer proof, and I wanted to keep my makeup on my face, not my mask (which I took off for photos and back on for the rest of the event). You can also use a setting spray like Urban Decay all nighter. Sweating leads to transfer, regardless.

I also learned a little bit about contouring and blush placement on Youtube. How you apply makeup makes as much of a difference as what you put.

I want to add that I did a lot of experimenting in the weeks leading up to the wedding. Make sure you're happy with the look before the night of.

I tried buying travel or sample size products, or ordering from sites that have a good return/exchange policy. Makeup shopping during a pandemic can get really complicated.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:44 pm
First thing I’d add is bronzer and make sure to moisturize clean skin before application. In general, here’s a good step by step:

Wash face with cleanser
Toner (if you have)
Moisturize well, eye cream and Vaseline on lips
Prime eye lids with concealer, set with powder
Apply shadow
Apply eye liner
Apply mascara
Wipe off under eye from excess/fallout
Apply primer (I like smashbox)
Apply foundation using beauty blender
Apply concealer
Set face with powder
Apply powder bronzer and contour
Apply powder blush
Apply highlighter
Fill in brows
Dab off Vaseline
Apply lipliner, lipstick and lipgloss.
Set with setting spray

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:07 pm
Eyeshadow can be fun. Different colors and different ways to apply it means that there is a lot more variation in what can look good.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 4:29 pm
amother Cyan wrote:

I have Estee Lauder double wear foundation and find it doesnt last on my skin.

How does the Urban Decay foundation compare?

Heres a recent review for "Urban Decay Stay Naked Weightless Liquid Foundation - Buildable Coverage with No Caking - Matte Finish Lasts Up To 24 Hours - Waterproof & Sweatproof" on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-D.....ss_tl

This foundation is literally the best I’ve ever used! For years I used Loreal Infallible soft matte foundation until they changed their formula. I bought and spent hundreds of dollars trying to find a replacement, from the most expensive to drug store and nothing could beat my old foundation. I tried Armani, Nars, Dior, Too Faced, Estée Lauder, I can go on and on but nothing can compare to this foundation. It’s very thin but wow the coverage is amazing and the finish is just WOW! I rub it on my face and then I use my beauty blender. With any other foundation I had to always add a little powder on my T-Zone. I love matte foundations and others failed badly causing creases on my face, getting oily after an hour or settling in my lines. I don’t have to apply powder with this foundation, it stays matte all day and my skin feels so good, it doesn’t feel like I have a layer of foundation and it feels smooth and as if I had no makeup on. I just hope they never discontinue this foundation. Another thing I love about this foundation is that it doesn’t feel sticky like the Too Faced matte foundation. I highly recommend this and it’s also buildable without looking cakey.

Does anyone use this foundation?

imaima

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 4:51 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I have Estee Lauder double wear foundation and find it doesnt last on my skin.

How does the Urban Decay foundation compare?

Heres a recent review for "Urban Decay Stay Naked Weightless Liquid Foundation - Buildable Coverage with No Caking - Matte Finish Lasts Up To 24 Hours - Waterproof & Sweatproof" on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-D.....ss_tl

This foundation is literally the best I’ve ever used! For years I used Loreal Infallible soft matte foundation until they changed their formula. I bought and spent hundreds of dollars trying to find a replacement, from the most expensive to drug store and nothing could beat my old foundation. I tried Armani, Nars, Dior, Too Faced, Estée Lauder, I can go on and on but nothing can compare to this foundation. It’s very thin but wow the coverage is amazing and the finish is just WOW! I rub it on my face and then I use my beauty blender. With any other foundation I had to always add a little powder on my T-Zone. I love matte foundations and others failed badly causing creases on my face, getting oily after an hour or settling in my lines. I don’t have to apply powder with this foundation, it stays matte all day and my skin feels so good, it doesn’t feel like I have a layer of foundation and it feels smooth and as if I had no makeup on. I just hope they never discontinue this foundation. Another thing I love about this foundation is that it doesn’t feel sticky like the Too Faced matte foundation. I highly recommend this and it’s also buildable without looking cakey.

Does anyone use this foundation?

Asking on imamother is one of the least effective things out there.
Go to a department store and try them out. Ask for small samples or ask them to apply a llng lasting foundation and see how long it lasts

A reliable website for makeup review is temptalia

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:00 pm
A small Natasha Denona palette.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics