Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Will a humdifier help?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:39 pm
my teenage son has covid, says his chest is heavy and uncomfortable, would a humidifier help?
does this sound dangerous? im so nervous!

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:43 pm
Humidifier would probably help. Refuah shleimah! I hope you're all staying in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7002/

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:50 pm
Humidifier’s are not dangerous. They add moisture to the air. This usually helps when your congested.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:50 pm
We found humidifiers and Vicks very helpful when we had it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:01 pm
thanks everyone.
iddint mean would the humidifier be dangerous... I meant does it sound dangerous that his chest feels heavy and congested? he has mild asthma and is on steroid inhalers now.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:13 pm
Add some iodine to the humidifier. It's been said to help open up the lungs for covid.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:13 pm
If he uses an inhaler, recently got Covid, and you haven't contacted his doctor, you should do so before YT.

Look for some kind of clinic to provide advice about danger signs. Your YT will be much less stressful if you know when and if to worry.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks everyone.
iddint mean would the humidifier be dangerous... I meant does it sound dangerous that his chest feels heavy and congested? he has mild asthma and is on steroid inhalers now.

The chest heaviness is normal even for someone without asthma. But like imasinger said , please page your sons doctor ASAP before Yom Kippur so that he can tell you how to proceed.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:28 pm
Peel and slice an onion and put it on his bed. it will help open his airways.

Last edited by Mama Bear on Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:30 pm
I had the same issue when I had COVID. I found laying face down to sleep/ rest was most helpful to relieve the chest heaviness.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I had the same issue when I had COVID. I found laying face down to sleep/ rest was most helpful to relieve the chest heaviness.

I actually found sleeping sitting up on a recliner to be the best. When Hatzolah came to me and saw me in that position they told me that’s the best position to be in as far as oxygen is concerned .

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:36 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Peel and slice an onion and put it on his bed. it will help open his airways.
I second this. A bunch of onions all around his head. Also, olbas oil in castor oil as a chest rub.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:43 pm
Please please have Hatzalah on speed dial as we go into yom Kippur. I dont know if you asked a shaila about your son fasting and not drinking, but you should. I dont want to scare you any more than you already are but asthma and covid are a terrible combination even for a young person! People decline very quickly before they get to a hospital.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:54 pm
Call Hatzalah. They are lending out oxygen concentrators again. Refuah Shelaima!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:55 pm
Rav Zinner issued a psak in BP that if one has covid and fasting will make it worse, they are not allowed to fast on YK. Keep him hydrated.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:09 pm
See if you can find a pulse oximeter that will tell you if he is getting enough oxygen

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
See if you can find a pulse oximeter that will tell you if he is getting enough oxygen

Shmira should have them available (they did in April).

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 3:00 pm
A humidifier will definitely help.

Do NOT use any antihistamine type medications because they just dry you out. You want to use an expectorant like Mucinex in order to get the phlegm moving up and out of the lungs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics