Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have hot food for breaking the fast?
Previous  1  2  3

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:48 pm
It is traditional to have a Yom Tov seudah after Yom Kippur.

We use 2 candles for havdalah (instead of the havdalah candle) and put them in my shabbos leichter so that we have candles burning during our seudah.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:50 pm
My wonderful husband picked up pizza and sides to heat up after the fast! My kids are going to be thrilled!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:02 pm
We eat a regular 3 course fleishig meal. First we break our fast on cake though so by the time we wash the food is all warm.

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:44 pm
tradition soup, scrambled eggs if I have koach. tea. yum!

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:04 pm
Warm bread and lox or eggs and fruit and veggies

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:05 pm
STovah wrote:
We sit down to a Yom tov style meal, usually challah, soup and a meat or chicken. We did not grow up with this tradition but we started a few years ago and like it very much.

It’s so interesting I can’t imagine doing this at all but glad it works for you

Colorpop

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 3:21 pm
I made a soup yesterday and came back from shul after Neila to heat it up along with some pitas while my husband was davening Maariv.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 5:03 pm
growing up we had a fleishig meal with soup and chicken.

tonight we had: Garlic challah, butter, cheese, lox, tuna, pasta and cheese I made quickly while everyone was eating the challah and spreads, and pancakes. I was going to make eggs but entirely unneeded. Also scones and coffee/tea.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 5:55 pm
Yes.
Water, a hot beverage, cake and then hot food as soon as it's prepared...

Metukah

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:23 pm
We break our fast on coffee and cakes, and some fruit.
A while later we wash and have a light fleishig meal. (Chicken soup and schnitzel or something similar).
It is our minhag to eat meat on motzei YK.
For other fasts I make fresh rolls and salads .

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:08 pm
There's this thing called frozen pizza

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:51 pm
Our minhag is to have a full YT Seudah which includes challah, fish, soup , meat etc....

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:04 pm
I would never be able to handle a meat meal after a long fast. Even coffee, which I love would keep me up all night.

I was very happy with orange juice and cake.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:51 pm
It seems that many people have a light fare to break the fast and then a full-on meaty meal an hour later.

How does this work our practically though? After 24 hours without eating, I can't imagine everyone is limiting themselves to just a slice of cake and then leaving their stomachs still growling for another hour until the meal is ready. Are you all filling yourselves up and then eating again a short while later?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:55 pm
We wash on rolls with butter, omelettes, cream cheese...
hot soup
Milchig Lukshen kugel
And there are plenty of drinks and pastries

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
It seems that many people have a light fare to break the fast and then a full-on meaty meal an hour later.

How does this work our practically though? After 24 hours without eating, I can't imagine everyone is limiting themselves to just a slice of cake and then leaving their stomachs still growling for another hour until the meal is ready. Are you all filling yourselves up and then eating again a short while later?

For us it’s symbolic mostly. We break the fast on coffee and cake or dairy. I later served the meal and everyone can eat what they’re in the mood of from the meal. Nobody can eat fish soup and chicken.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

2-3 or even 4 slices of cake is really nothing after a fast.. So 1st that n then an hour or more later, a bit (not a full portion) of everything or whatever one is in the mood.

Personally I can eat and eat and eat. Yummy crispy warm challa and fish, was so so good. Ha
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note