Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Cant afford a sukkah
Previous  1  2  3  Next

littleprincess

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:48 am
IvriAnochi wrote:
My husband and I will be more than happy to help you out. If you like, you can PM me your PayPal

Same here. Or bank details . We're in the UK

Raisel

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 10:45 am
I grew up everyone making their own unless they were not in a house then shul... or no suda...

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 10:51 am
I would also be happy to donate. $50 is not enough for food for you and your kids.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:37 am
One year dh built a sukkah using cheap wooden poles and sheets. We covered the top with free greenery.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:49 am
I just want to add, OP, please don’t feel bad about accepting money from people who want to give to you. We have had some years where we were on the receiving end, and some years when we are able to give. Klal Yisrael all help each other, and IYH you have many years ahead of you where you will be able to give, too.

tree of life

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:45 am
Hi please speak to your local rabbi either chabad or any one they all have funds especially for yomtuv this year you can take next year you will give rabbi sudak and rabbi lieberman are both in Edgware please ask them if I can be more help please pm me

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:19 pm
I would also like to help if I can.

This time last year, I was looking at getting evicted from my apartment, and had no where to go. B'H, all of those troubles have been resolved, thanks to Hashem and many Imamothers who helped me in my time of need.

If I can pay it forward it would be my honor.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:22 pm
Are you getting all your benefits?
Many people are struggling with money now, but there is so much you can claim.

My husband helps many people with this, and would gladly help you too.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:27 pm
I was just reading through this thread and wow!
Mi kaamecha yisrael! I feel so blessed to be part of such a wonderful community one here.
If I could help I would!
IyH you will have a beautiful Yom tov!

Another mom

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:33 pm
As a kid we had no sukka (apt house) . The fathers would make kiddush and wash / bentch in shul and then eat at home. "Bidieved" but worked.
Is there a Chabbad by you?
Good luck, wish we could help!!
Heart

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 1:36 pm
We collected branches in a forrest - only works if you have a house or Israeli balcony or last floor - I know some who are on last floor just for this but I'd never do this because of shabbes and elevator not functioning
And yes what another mommy says

ail

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 1:56 pm
I am so sorry to hear, I would have helped you with my flat and succah but I gave it away to neighbours already, please you can pm with bank account details and I will be more than happy to help you out for yom tov.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 1:56 pm
Wow I'm so so touched by all the responses!

In the community we live we look like we are managing fine. We are both far to embarrassed to receive anything from others. We've had weeks where we waited till friday to see what we could do shabbos and then last minute invited ourselves to my parents (they are easy like that) because we've just not had the money to make shabbos. At times like these I beg my husband to contact an organisation that gives food for shabbos but hes adamant not to it's just far too embarrassing for him.

So although your generosity means so much to me I could never take from others it would be too much of a blow to him.

My husband thought his paycheck would be coming in today but it hasn't. So now were really snookered!

Iyh it will work out I will let you know what happens! We normally see our yeshuos in the very last minutes - not fun when I still need to cook for yom tov but it will all work out in the end!

littleprincess

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 4:48 pm
Can u at least give us a number to your local grocery so I could make a payment to your account?
We were also at the receiving end not too long ago
Hashem should help u very soon . You sound like an amazing strong person!!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 5:41 pm
Omigosh my dear amoms😍
This touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.
Op please let us help you. You can tell him you got an unexpected refund or something.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:17 pm
This thread is a kiddush Hashem! Mi keamcha Yisroel. OP you would have such a zechus if you’d figure out a way to accept the offers you got here.

Frumme

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:26 pm
Do you have a car with a sunroof? Not the most ideal but you can unplug the car battery (for Yom Tov) put schach over the sunroof, and DH can eat in the car.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:32 pm
please reach out to a local rabbi. It doesn't have to be the shul rabbi or the one in charge of tomchei shabbos or anything. Just a rabbi or someone who is well connected doesn't even have to be a rabbi. We personally give our money through a local rabbi who doesn't have a shul or anything, he just knows people. People who are sometimes to embarrassed to tell the rabbis who are officially in charge of giving out tzedkah. He actually told us that one person when he gave them the money said, maybe now I'll be able to afford to buy myself a sukkah! it's not "normal" in our community for people to eat in the shul's sukkah... where I grew up it was.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:44 pm
Op I know your dh has pride, but think of your children who need proper food every day and take the chessed money.
He can be too proud for himself, not you and your kids.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 7:55 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Op I know your dh has pride, but think of your children who need proper food every day and take the chessed money.
He can be too proud for himself, not you and your kids.

This. I was in this position not too long ago. I ended up reaching out to organizations myself and my Rabbi for financial assistance when my DH refused to take tzedaka. The financial assistance really helped me feel like a mentch without the constant anxiety of knowing where our food was coming from. Sometimes we have to put our pride on the back burner.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics