Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Taste and texture aversion?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:29 pm
I got Covid the week before Purim, and I am STILL having problems with tasting things properly.

Some things I cannot taste at all, some things taste extremely strong, and somethings just don't taste "right." Sometimes it tastes like sucking on tinfoil, or that the food is really bitter, or even spoiled.

On top of that, I'm suddenly really sensitive to food texture. I'm not usually a Picky Princess, so this is totally new for me. Just tonight I was eating a piece of fish, and I got a stray scale in my mouth. It grossed me out so badly, I started gagging and nearly threw up. I couldn't even look at my plate after that (the dog was very happy to finish it for me, though.)

I have the same problems with mashed potatoes and any kind of rice. Sometimes I get that way with chick peas if they are not completely cooked through. Don't even get me started on scrambled eggs, I have to cook them until they are as dry as a paper plate.

I know that for some people the smell and taste thing is still a problem even months after all the other symptoms have disappeared.

Is anyone else having a problem with textures?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 12:36 pm
Could it be that your body is trying to compensate for the lack of taste by being particularly sensitive to texture?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I got Covid the week before Purim, and I am STILL having problems with tasting things properly.

Some things I cannot taste at all, some things taste extremely strong, and somethings just don't taste "right." Sometimes it tastes like sucking on tinfoil, or that the food is really bitter, or even spoiled.......

Sorry about your unpleasant taste / texture issues.
For the taste part:
I was told this is a sign of zinc deficiency and to take zinc orotate. The virus depletes the body of this. Only take on a full stomach. otherwise can cause nausea.
Some advise not to take it for more than a week or two.

Quercetin is meant to help the Zinc be absorbed in the body and has no side effects.

Of course, full disclosure, I am not a health professional. Consult with your own doctors . I am sharing what has been helpful from my personal experience. With my family I see the ones who took Zinc recovered faster. I didn't take it consistently because it made me nauseas when I took it during the virus and had no appetite so an empty stomach. Now post virus , I'm taking it.

Hope you have a complete recovery with no unpleasant after effects . and so for all..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics