Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Woman rants against De Blasio targeting Jews
Previous  1  2

Dolly1

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
The increase in positive results is alarmingly high. In most other places (besides the ones listed) it has been holding steady or declining.

I also know for a fact that these numbers are far from reality due to deliberate test suppression by the community. I have seen the ads and posters dissuading people from testing. I myself had to insist on a test at a local clinic.

The city leadership may be incompetent, but sometimes they aren't stupid.

What about all those ppl with antibodies, or the ones feeling healthy, who don’t test? Obviously there’s an uptick if lots of ppl who dont feel well now are going to test, and all we have are those positives!! Where r all the negatives?!?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:51 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
What about all those ppl with antibodies, or the ones feeling healthy, who don’t test? Obviously there’s an uptick if lots of ppl who dont feel well now are going to test, and all we have are those positives!! Where r all the negatives?!?

The ad encouraged people with antibodies to get tested to drive down the positivity rate.

I wish this were a joke

chestnut

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:54 pm
Dolly1 wrote:

The uptick isn't a given. 2-3 months ago people without symptoms didn't test more than now, but there was no uptick.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:04 am
chestnut wrote:
You want to talk facts? Sure! That was exactly my point that the woman in the OP was saying the mayor was targeting frum areas talking about increases while plenty of non Jewish areas had higher or sane numbers. Not true as she was looking at wrong tables (positives since March vs the past few weeks).
In regards to schools, as far as I know, the criteria for closing schools is 2 positives in different classes. We can argue how much sense it makes, but once this is the rule, then we can't cry antisemitism if Jewish schools are closed when there ARE 2 positives in different classes. When public schools reopen, I can bet they'll have 2 positives in no time also.
Iirc de Blasio closed schools in march, but yes, he wasn't in a rush. Granted, we all thought back then it'll be over in a few weeks.
It also makes sense that Jewish schools overall prepared for September much better than public schools. Non religious private schools are also well prepared.

I'm not willing to say De Blasio's criteria isn't anti sematic.

Take for example yeshiva darchei torah in far rockaway that was closed last week. There are over 2500 students in the school. So de Blasio implements a rule that says that if 2 out of the 2500+ students test positive, the other 2498 students need to stay home for 2 weeks. I'm sorry, but this sounds like a way to get a school closed for no reason. It is inevitable that 2 kids have it. There's no reason to close the school under those conditions. Yet he found a convenient way to close them down. let's see if when the public schools eventually open if he keeps the same rule. My bet is he won't.

As a side note, the rule discourages testing. If a parent tests positive and their children are asymptomatic, why get them tested where it will be reported and potentially result in hundreds if not thousands of students having to stay home? Instead, just keep the kid home and don't test. To me that makes much more sense. If the city makes crazy rules, we have to figure out LEGAL ways to skirt them.

soap suds

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:34 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Williamsburg has a much lower infection rate then a lot of other zip codes. He is very obviously targeting Jewish neighborhoods
This was the giveaway. They could've listed all other frum neighborhoods and gotten away with it because the numbers were very high in Boro Park, Midwood, Queens, etc. By adding Williamsburg to the list he clearly anounced his agenda. There were at least 14 non-frum neighborhoods who's rates were higher than Williamsburg, yet he couldn't bring himself to leave Williamsburg off the list. He just HAD to get ALL the frum zipcodes in. I'm actually glad he did that. It made it clear to all of us, that it isn't about health, but polotics. Or you'd have to say that he doesn't care about the safety of those other 14 neighborhoods.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:00 am
soap suds wrote:
This was the giveaway. They could've listed all other frum neighborhoods and gotten away with it because the numbers were very high in Boro Park, Midwood, Queens, etc. By adding Williamsburg to the list he clearly anounced his agenda. There were at least 14 non-frum neighborhoods who's rates were higher than Williamsburg, yet he couldn't bring himself to leave Williamsburg off the list. He just HAD to get ALL the frum zipcodes in. I'm actually glad he did that. It made it clear to all of us, that it isn't about health, but polotics. Or you'd have to say that he doesn't care about the safety of those other 14 neighborhoods.

Fwiw, Queens rates are pretty low, too.

And on the subject of DOH'S absolute incompetence and laziness, many queens residents were puzzled last week by the doh trucks blasting their message in Yiddish. I dont know a single queens resident who is fluent in Yiddish.

But apparently the mayor thinks all religious Jews are the same. Banging head

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:04 am
Please start taking this seriously instead of ranting against Deblasio. He’s not the problem here.

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:12 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I'm not willing to say De Blasio's criteria isn't anti sematic.

Take for example yeshiva darchei torah in far rockaway that was closed last week. There are over 2500 students in the school. So de Blasio implements a rule that says that if 2 out of the 2500+ students test positive, the other 2498 students need to stay home for 2 weeks. I'm sorry, but this sounds like a way to get a school closed for no reason. It is inevitable that 2 kids have it. There's no reason to close the school under those conditions. Yet he found a convenient way to close them down. let's see if when the public schools eventually open if he keeps the same rule. My bet is he won't.

As a side note, the rule discourages testing. If a parent tests positive and their children are asymptomatic, why get them tested where it will be reported and potentially result in hundreds if not thousands of students having to stay home? Instead, just keep the kid home and don't test. To me that makes much more sense. If the city makes crazy rules, we have to figure out LEGAL ways to skirt them.

The rule itself isn't antisemitic as it's the same for Jewish and public schools. As I said, we can discuss whether the rule makes sense or not, but if the rule is there, you can't blame antisemitism for following it. If he changes this rule when public schools open or won't close public schools with 2 positive cases, then we can talk.
The rule discourages testing only if you're willing to sacrifice others. If the parent is positive, their kids should stay home. I'd say, yes, test them, so that their classmates and their families know what's happening and what precautions they need to take in their families. Asymptomatic people spread the virus just as well as symptomatic. If the kid A is not tested and just kept home, but he was in a class with kid B whose sibling or parent has cancer, are YOU willing to take the chance that your kid might be the reason for that sibling's or parent's death?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:08 am
chestnut wrote:
The rule itself isn't antisemitic as it's the same for Jewish and public schools. As I said, we can discuss whether the rule makes sense or not, but if the rule is there, you can't blame antisemitism for following it. If he changes this rule when public schools open or won't close public schools with 2 positive cases, then we can talk.
The rule discourages testing only if you're willing to sacrifice others. If the parent is positive, their kids should stay home. I'd say, yes, test them, so that their classmates and their families know what's happening and what precautions they need to take in their families. Asymptomatic people spread the virus just as well as symptomatic. If the kid A is not tested and just kept home, but he was in a class with kid B whose sibling or parent has cancer, are YOU willing to take the chance that your kid might be the reason for that sibling's or parent's death?

I hear what you're saying and this is why stupid rules are dangerous. If kid A is asymptomatic, his parents might reason that testing him might cause the school to close and literally 1000+ kids who are in the next building and never got withing 200 feet of kid A will have to stay home. I understand that not testing him potentially endangers others (and their families) who might have come near kid A, but it's not wise to force parents to make these difficult decisions.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:15 am
I hear what you're saying and this is why stupid rules are dangerous. If kid A is asymptomatic, his parents might reason that testing him might cause the school to close and literally 1000+ kids who are in the next building and never got withing 200 feet of kid A will have to stay home. I understand that not testing him potentially endangers others (and their families) who might have come near kid A, but it's not wise to force parents to make these difficult decisions.

I don't understand the 2 cases and school gets shut rule. I wish they had more reasonable rules.

I also worry about parents and schools facing these decisions and perhaps choosing convenience over safety.

If this becomes a common problem, perhaps the DOH will mandate random or systematic testing.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:15 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Fwiw, Queens rates are pretty low, too.

And on the subject of DOH'S absolute incompetence and laziness, many queens residents were puzzled last week by the doh trucks blasting their message in Yiddish. I dont know a single queens resident who is fluent in Yiddish.

But apparently the mayor thinks all religious Jews are the same. Banging head

Yes, the nonjews view all the Jews the same. They see the MO, yeshivah, jpf, and chasidim as the same. Let that be a mussar haskel to everyone.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:17 am
octopus wrote:
Yes, the nonjews view all the Jews the same. They see the MO, yeshivah, jpf, and chasidim as the same. Let that be a mussar haskel to everyone.

This is absolutely true.

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:17 am

I understand. Then we should be talking about the rule stupidity, but not about not testing the kids, which the OP lady is saying. That is plain dangerous and irresponsible.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:26 am
octopus wrote:

The government, NYC no less, could never get away with acting as though it views all blacks the same, or all Asians.

That would be terribly racist.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics