Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What exactly is a Bukharian Jew?
Previous  1  2

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:03 pm
The world is a mess right now-
everyone needs to sprinkle a little more kindness.

If they build big lavish homes... GREAT!
bring up the property value for all the homes on the block-
stop staring and say Good Shabbos and THANK YOU for bringing up the property values.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:14 pm
WOw so many contradictions. Let’s see if I can clarify some.

So... I was born in Bukhara. My family emigrated to USA when I was 10. I was not happy. I loved Bukhara. I got separated from my favorite grandmother that I grew up with. She emigrated to Israel. All the Bukharians at that time were emigrating to USA or Israel. Why? Well....Bukhara is a city in Uzbekistan. Just like NYC is in USA. There are other cities in Uzbekistan that housed Bukharian Jews as well. So the area was conquered by Russian government and named USSR and that’s how I speak Russian. At present it’s no longer under Russian government. You can research history and time line if interested.
The area is mostly Muslim and Uzbeks with tons is mosques

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:21 pm
They stood next you at Har Sinai and accepted the gift of Torah with you. When you do a mitzvah and say lshem yichud you are hoping to unify HKBH name. So all of our neshamot are tiny pieces of something bigger and more important than whether or not their houses suit your taste. And yes they sent their holy Jewish children to yeshivot that at already established as they hadn't yet had a chance to build infrastructure for themselves. They have done a tremendous amount of good and growth in their time. As have all of our parents.

We are all hated enough by the world around us. Can we find a way to love each other? What would you do if you heard your children speaking about each other in such a fashion? I would feel like I did something wrong as a mother. I don't want HKBH to feel like we are undeserving of his fatherly love to us.

Please make Abba happy. Love his children.

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:25 pm
This thread is so odd to me. I grew up around a few bukharim and mountain Jews and they were all nice. From my impression they are more traditional than the russian Jews that came to Germany. The rebbetzin of my shul was bukhari and identified as sephardi 🤷 please do some research or get to know bukharim in person. Gmar chatima tova!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:03 pm
DrMom wrote:
A lot of the above sounds like what secular/non-Jewish people say when frum Jews move in to their neighborhood.

Almost verbatim what my coworker told me about the Italians and Hispanics in Lakewood and why they don’t like Jews.

mamaof2

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:42 pm
Hi sefardic jews doesn't always mean from Spain sfard. It means all mizrahi jews hold sefardic minhagim, therefore in general when anyone says they are sefardic it doesn't mean they are from Spain but are mizrahim that hold sefardic halachas.
This applies to all mizrahi jews there are only 2 main halachic authorities the Rama and bet yosef the ashkenazi hold of Rama and sefardic hold of bet yosef.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
WOw so many contradictions. Let’s see if I can clarify some.

So... I was born in Bukhara. My family emigrated to USA when I was 10. I was not happy. I loved Bukhara. I got separated from my favorite grandmother that I grew up with. She emigrated to Israel. All the Bukharians at that time were emigrating to USA or Israel. Why? Well....Bukhara is a city in Uzbekistan. Just like NYC is in USA. There are other cities in Uzbekistan that housed Bukharian Jews as well. So the area was conquered by Russian government and named USSR and that’s how I speak Russian. At present it’s no longer under Russian government. You can research history and time line if interested.
The area is mostly Muslim and Uzbeks with tons is mosques

Thank you for sharing this explanation! Are you still able to see your grandmother? Do you like the US better now?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 4:21 pm
Some of the posts in this thread are really not nice. It's like listening to European people talk about Gypsies or Roma people. Just because their culture is different, doesn't mean that they're not as human as we are.

What I'm really dying to know, is what does Bucharian gardening look like? Flower

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 4:33 pm
Yeah sounds like Gypsies are seen
Anyway, Sefardic isn't Mizrahi isn't Bukhara though those are prob closest.
If you think Buchari and Sefardi have the same culture, I could only invite you to visit a Judeo spanish synagog

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 4:45 pm
I am baffled at the not-so-nice things and prejudice expressed by some users here on erev yom kippur...

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:43 am
Just to be clear : bukharim are a Jewish group just like Syrians, italkim or litvaks etc.
That's actually a worse prejudice than against any other group because we're all Jewish, we're one big family

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:47 am
Just to be clear - I have absolutely nothing against Bucharians or anyone else. I was just answering OP's question about why she has heard some things in Queens.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:10 am
80% of my students are of bukharian origin and reading through the posts makes me giggle.
we cant generalise like that.

obviously within the community there are huge differences.

I know frum haredi chabad style bukharian families who send their sons to ashkenazi yeshivos.
I know totally freie bukhaians who dont even fast on yom kippur.

but the majority sticks to tradition even if not observing mizvos (ie. low rate of marrying out, at least kosher style food...). in that sense they are quite traditional. and their traditions are very rich and many have survived communism which is amazing (if you compare it to other post communist countries).

some are rich some are very poor- you get the idea: very heterogenic (at least where I live) - oh their food is DELICIOUS!!!

they do keep some sefardic minhagim albeit not originating in spain. they count to the mizrahi.

orgininally they come from bukhara (samarkant, tashkent etc.) - today its located in usbekistan. because it was a soviet state many many speak russian too (but obviously dont aídentify as russian- with few exceptions).

bukharian IS a related to farsi, usbek language etc.

rachel22

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:05 pm
It’s usually lumped into 2 types Ashkenazi or sefardi.
Bukharians fall under sefardi.
We daven edut hamizrach, Beit Yosef hashgacha, and follow sefardi Halacha.

The bukharian language is very similar to Farsi if not the same. (Pronunciation Mayeb a little differnt)

Mothers side came here in the late 70’s
And my fathers family went to israel for awhile before coming to America.

We were raised frum from birth, and although we do and follow all sefardic Halachas, my siblings and I went to ashkenazi yeshivot.

At family get together like weddings, parties... we have a mixture of all types of bukharians, some frum some not, some rabbis others Chabad. But who cares we are all one big happy family, and love our bukharian traditions.

Just like in any group of jews, each have there own traditions. There are many differnt traditions between a syrain Jew and morraccan Jew, or Hungarian or whatever. Traditions are basically from where u originated.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics