Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Impressive! Many people, all ages, were wearing masks in BP
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:39 am
Our shul utilized every building at their disposal - think elementary and high school buildings, girls and boys, auditoriums and lunchrooms to divide up the minyan for RH and Yom Kippur. I'd imagine they will continue this throughout YomTov and Simchas Torah... but only if they are allowed to congregate at all Sad

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:41 am
That’s good to hear! It’s about time!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:41 am
unexpected wrote:
Our shul utilized every building at their disposal - think elementary and high school buildings, girls and boys, auditoriums and lunchrooms to divide up the minyan for RH and Yom Kippur. I'd imagine they will continue this throughout YomTov and Simchas Torah... but only if they are allowed to congregate at all Sad

I wish my kehilla would do that.

Heaven knows they own half the real estate in my town anyway.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
That’s good to hear! It’s about time!

Unfortunately, it became necessary

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:54 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I guess you have a short term memory. It was widely publicized in the beginning that masks for the general population is a strong no. Later the tune changed.

They said to make your own face coverings, they did NOT say to wear nothing.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:04 am
Glad to hear that was your experience, OP! I do wonder, though, what the situation was overall with Boro Park shuls. I'm afraid, it might not be as good as your experience.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/.....ones/

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They said to make your own face coverings, they did NOT say to wear nothing.

Very early on they did not believe homemade face coverings to be of any use.

itsmeima

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:10 am
Umm, no! I'm not going to congratulate a community for being responsible - 7 months into a pandemic!

mother@4

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:16 am
Did anyone think the same as me. Look how scared everyone is from having the kids home again.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:20 am
Actually in bp no one wore masks inside shul or sd. They only put it on outside where the media was waiting to see....

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:21 am
mother@4 wrote:
Did anyone think the same as me. Look how scared everyone is from having the kids home again.

In our/their defense, I think what scares people is the chaos and anxiety caused by lack of structure, and lack of childcare for working families that could lead to serious parnassah issues.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:26 am
The shul rabbis in bp and Flatbush made announcements on shabbos begging people to please wear masks and people mostly listened
Not sure about Williamsburg, Lakewood or monsey. If you’re from one of those areas please let us know if more people started wearing masks

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:30 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Actually in bp no one wore masks inside shul or sd. They only put it on outside where the media was waiting to see....

Were you in my shul? Every single person was wearing a mask plus sd. In my parents shul same.

And to the poster who said seven months in etc. I beg to differ. Our shul opened up after Shavuos and resumed davening with regular minyanim at a much reduced rate. An extra minyan was added for all tefilos so that the mispallelim could spread out more. With the return of covid, unfortunately, masks became necessary again. I'd imagine that there are plenty of shuls in BP that followed the same precautions. If you want to argue that there was a need for masks during the summer when BP shuls were practically empty and there were no corona cases at all, I don't know where you would find the basis for that.

It's sad that already right after yom kippur, people have no problem saying unfounded lashon hara on an entire city...

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:33 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Glad to hear that was your experience, OP! I do wonder, though, what the situation was overall with Boro Park shuls. I'm afraid, it might not be as good as your experience.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/.....ones/

I saw this picture and assumed that people came out during yizkor to breathe a little. I was in Shul for only 1 hour, with a mask, and it was an extremely difficult experience for me. I don't know how my husband and children managed it all day.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:41 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Ouch Sad

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The shul rabbis in bp and Flatbush made announcements on shabbos begging people to please wear masks and people mostly listened
Not sure about Williamsburg, Lakewood or monsey. If you’re from one of those areas please let us know if more people started wearing masks

I didn't go to shul because of the lack of SD but I am told there was an announcement about wearing masks in the large shul of our kehilla.

But I'm told people there weren't actually wearing them yet.

(Williamsburg)

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:46 am
unexpected wrote:
I saw this picture and assumed that people came out during yizkor to breathe a little. I was in Shul for only 1 hour, with a mask, and it was an extremely difficult experience for me. I don't know how my husband and children managed it all day.

I never pay attention to pictures in articles cause I learned they often have nothing to do with the article.
Good point about Yizkor. I was confused why groups of men were outside. If they were standing all together outside, they should have worn masks. Everyone knew media/officials will be watching us.
I understand that wearing masks is a torture, especially the whole day. Unfortunately, not much choice these days.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:05 am
Do u think You all deserve a medal?
When you’re doing what everyone is supposed to be doing? Like my community.... since the beginning.

Get over yourself BP community.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:09 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Do u think You all deserve a medal?
When you’re doing what everyone is supposed to be doing? Like my community.... since the beginning.

Get over yourself BP community.

I'm sorry for defending my community if it bothers you. No one (as far as I know, because you haven't used your name or neighborhood) is screaming that your community is out there making a chillul Hashem and killing other people- in that order. I know we are not perfect, but the majority of us are not free loaders who think we should send our covid-infected family members out to spread germs and then panic because we may chas veshalom have to have them home for a day.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:22 am
unexpected wrote:
I'm sorry for defending my community if it bothers you. No one (as far as I know, because you haven't used your name or neighborhood) is screaming that your community is out there making a chillul Hashem and killing other people- in that order. I know we are not perfect, but the majority of us are not free loaders who think we should send our covid-infected family members out to spread germs and then panic because we may chas veshalom have to have them home for a day.

But you were killing people by not wearing masks (at least potentially killing them as your rates of infection went up dramatically). And it was a huge chillul Hashem when your neighborhoods were having markedly higher rates of infection. And your community only started to act appropriately by wearing masks once you were threatened with having them stay home from school.

My shul/community overall wears masks indoors and outdoors (when around others). At tashlich there was 1 person not wearing a mask. I left because of that. The community also basically banned people from coming to the shul from out of town (and their local hosts too) unless they have a recent, local, negative covid test. Because of communities like yours. While our city-wide rate is still high (but decreasing) our local (frum community) rates are quite low. It is so nice to see our tehilim lists getting back to the pre-Covid length.

(Yes, I wear a mask when I leave the house. I don't have guests over. We don't do play dates. My kids are in school with symptom checks, masks, plexi glass dividers, "pods", no eating in the lunchroom and yard time is separated/staggered. Yes I believe COVID is serious. And no I won't vote for Biden. Ever. In case people were feeling it is a political viewpoint of some, it isn't for me. Just wear the dumb mask....)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics