Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Moving because of covid attitudes
Previous  1  2  3

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 9:32 am
Bitachon123 wrote:
I feel for you, OP, I really do. Its tough to live somewhere where you don't identify with other people's choices and perspectives.

But please appreciate, this is not black and white. Viruses have been around since the beginning of time, and will be sticking around too. As much as wearing masks and social distancing may indeed help slow and stagger the spread, we still don't really have any strong evidence of this. Its certainly not a concrete fact, more of a theory right now.

(Just fyi, fwiw, Meah Shearim and Beit Shemesh Bet are 2 very chareidi places in Israel that have basically ignored all the guidelines and yet had very low death rates, if any that we're directly from Covid.) I'm sorry that your community has suffered greatly, I'm pained at every loss, but perhaps it isn't quite as simple as masks and SD? I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone not following guidelines is mis informed, selfish, and heartless, although I agree that a large propotion may be.

But still, there's certainly more to this equation, and many intelligent people are realising that.

The impact of metabolic health and Covid mortality had been directly linked, yet I have not seen anyone, anywhere, advocating for healthier lifestyles, simpler shabbos food, less promotion of processed foods that are weakening our immune systems etc. Just something to think about!

Instead of judging others and seeing the world and this pandemic through tunnel vision, perhaps we can try put ourselves in other people's shoes, and see this for the extremely complex, multifaceted, situation it is.

I personally think that living amongst people with different view points is the healthiest way to truly see the wider picture. Id personally never want to live in a community where everything is of one mind. But everyone certainly has to do what works for them!

Much hatzlocha to all of us, to get through this tough and extremely confusing time!

Interesting because I was found to have high cholesterol, pre diabetes and was 10 pounds overweight and I went on a low carb diet and statins and lost the weight and lowered the cholesterol by 110 points.
I agree that we should eat less but I unfortunately think that we are going overboard to protect the frum economy, much of which revolves around unhealthy food.
Folks, there has never been a better time to get metabolic illness under control. Ignore the ads for unhealthy food and eat what your bodies need!
While Covid can chas v'sholem kill healthy people it's more likely to kill sick people.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Not moving but definitely moving more “left” as I watch the general lack of sensitivity by the mainstream to ppl who are vulnerable or simply want to be more careful. Hubby was in need of a new black hat now he says he won’t wear one one as he no longer identifies with that way of thinking.
I find this insulting. We are “black hat light” if you want to call it that. We are no way like that, and neither is our neighborhood/shul. (Monsey) if you want to move more left- by all means, but don’t blame it on a few bad apples, or a couple of communities.
“That way of thinking”. - the black hat community is extremely broad here in the U.S. Please don’t paint us all with the same brush.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:04 pm
I live oot, and every time I read on this website about the absolute negligence and don’t-care attitude in major frum communities, I’m so relieved I’m not there!

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I live oot, and every time I read on this website about the absolute negligence and don’t-care attitude in major frum communities, I’m so relieved I’m not there!

Me too.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These parents should have their poor children removed from their custody. Their problems are entirely self made and they are putting their kids and the entire community where they live at risk. I have sympathy for their children, none for the parents who are rodefs.

You seem to fit into this community perfectly! Maybe amother Apricot can post an anonymous email address for you to contact her so you can find out which city this is. Don't forget to send me some shadchanus gelt! Wink

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
You seem to fit into this community perfectly! Maybe amother Apricot can post an anonymous email address for you to contact her so you can find out which city this is. Don't forget to send me some shadchanus gelt! Wink

We already know where we are moving, but thanks.

Amalia

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
There's a difference between living next to a random crazy person and being surrounded by people who regard you as the crazy one.

For attempting to comply with common sense guidelines and venishmartem.

Thank you for expressing it so well. That is exactly how I feel now.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I'd love to be in boro park or Lakewood where life is basically back to normal and kids are in school.

Definitely (sarcastic).
And it seems back to deaths and hospitalizations.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:26 am
bananas4bananas wrote:
I'm the biggest pro-vaxxer but it sounds like she had an actual legitimate medical reason for not vaccinating... so sad Sad

one child.can have a legitimate medical reason, but a whole family? sorry but it doesn't fly with me? my children have a genetic immune deficiency and dont retain vaccines. we still vaccinate and cover them with IVIG as it wont retain.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:35 am
You can move if you want. Why do you think anybody would try to stop you or even care?
Hope your thinking this through. Its not easy getting your kids adjusted and finding new jobs, friends and shuls.

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:07 am
I think we need to be less callous in this thread. Ppl moving away from a place means that there's an issue here. Personally, the attitude of anti-vaxers bothers me most. The ones I've met have a complete misunderstanding of human biology but portray themselves as all knowing. I told an antivaxer that the polio vaccine is the reason why there's no more polio around and she responded that I had outdated information (huhhh?). Also this mask nonsense; my almost 2 year old asks me for a mask because his older brothers wear one to the store and he doesn't complain nearly as much as perfectly healthy adults.

As far as that story of this excommunicated mom... I think there's truth in this somewhere but it seems very exaggerated. What does the passing away of a non-relative have to do with her kids' immunity? She seems to have included this for emotional purposes. Most anti-vaxers I had to deal with have a completely different perception of themselves. Personal example :
9 year old son of a friend passed away from leukemia. I posted in a WhatsApp group to ask for tehilim on his behalf.
Antivaxer : it's the vaccines.
[She doesn't even know the person or if he was vaccinated]
Me: maybe overthink your statement since you don't know them
Antivaxer: but I was just saying this out of ahavat Israel. How can I stay quiet?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:26 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
one child.can have a legitimate medical reason, but a whole family? sorry but it doesn't fly with me? my children have a genetic immune deficiency and dont retain vaccines. we still vaccinate and cover them with IVIG as it wont retain.

If your first child had a serious reaction to a vaccine, you'd just go and vaccinate all the others? There's even halachos about giving a bris to subsequent children if an older one had a bad reaction to the bris. Lots of stuff runs in families, including the genetic immune deficiency you claim ALL of your children have. Why is it such a stretch of the imagination to believe that there is a genetic issue in her family that causes them to be at greater risk for vaccine complications?

I also don't get why you're proud of yourself for vaccinating. You admit that it is useless for your children. The biggest reason why I give my kids vaccines is to protect others, even at a small risk to themselves (most VPDs are dangerous only at certain ages or to those who are immunocompromised). Why would I take that risk to my own kids if there was NO benefit to others? It's like taking a chicken pox shot if you already have evidence that you had chicken pox.

If it's because you believe that vaccines are 100% harmless, I wonder how much research you have done on the matter. The risks are very low, but they are certainly extant. Why assume those risks if you have no reason to?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics