Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah- first steps

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:42 am
Ok, I’m more than half way done with uploading documents and I’m done with my nefesh application.

I’m feeling so overwhelmed and lost, I’m doing all the research by myself (husband isn’t doing much). Kids are now learning from home, I’m working from home. I’m overwhelmed! I’ve looked at a few communities but not in depth, I just tried to look for communities with “cheaper” rent but haven’t looked at schools. What do I look now? The main issue is work and I don’t know where to start. If we want to move in the summer, when do I start networking and looking online for jobs? When do I need to edit my resume to an Israeli one (no idea how). When do I start looking into lifts? I like to stick to plans and don’t like to do everything in the last minute.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:59 am
If you have children I think the most important thing is to find a place that has schools that are to your liking for each child. Then work around that to find a community where you can see yourself living.
In terms of jobs, if you are looking for an on line job, you can really look even now.
Most places in Israel will not hire you before you are actually living here.
And as for lifts, Im sure you can call the companies and ask them how much before you actually need the lift do you have to do all of the paper work and actual lift.
Good luck!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:42 am
First of all contact nefesh nefesh to open a file.
It takes time to get approval and there is a special screening that is done that adds time to the process.
They also can give you lots of info on communities, school, employment opportunities, and the entire process.
Wait until after Sukkos to actually call someone there.
Maybe if you can tell us Israeli moms what type of community and schools you require we can advise.
Its overwhelming, but its worth it!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:43 am
Agreed, if you are coming with kids, the top priority is a community that has good educational services for olim.

Don't be shy about asking people for help. Talk to anyone you know who has made aliyah. If someone from your neighborhood made aliyah five years ago and you don't know them, it's totally ok to get in touch.

Some communities have olim coordinators who can put you in touch with families like yours.

And of course, feel free to post here.

grivky

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:52 am
So exciting that you’re planning to make Aliya. Planning for Aliya is exhausting! So many factors to research. If you have Facebook or feel comfortable making an account, I’d highly recommend it. There are a ton of groups that are very helpful for people making Aliya.
1. Living financially smarter in Israel
2. Ima kadima ( I found someone there to translate my resume into Hebrew. People there might be helpful in finding jobs)
3. Making Aliya this year
4. Israel communities for Anglo olim (In the months before we made Aliya I did a ton of research on that group, contacted a lot of people from different communities and eventually found the community where we live today! )
5. Needs help bnefesh community

Making Aliya is super exciting but also stressful with all the changes that you’ll have to be making in your lives.

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:57 am
I second everyone else: kids' social/schools is key for your community. I would also add that you need a support system - it's best to live near family or super-close friends when you're starting out.

Any other factors/preferences you have? What rent range do you need, and how large a house/apartment?

Moving in the summer is best. You probably won't start job searching for a month or two. You need a financial cushion which will keep your family healthy and happy for at least 6 months, preferably a year, while you get settled and find jobs. Is there any way you can bring your work with you?

grivky

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:02 am
To answer your questions specifically
-nefesh bnefeshs website about communities is helpful but you’ll get a lot more and up to date information on the Facebook page I mentioned in my previous post
- in terms of work, I would do a search on the Ima Kadima page to see if there’s anyone in your field. If yes, contact them, if not, post about what kind of work you do and see if people have ideas for you. You can also post anonymously through an admin
-translating your resume takes only a few days and usually people who do it want to be paid in shekels so unless you want a job lined up before you go, no need to translate until you get here. If you do want to start looking for jobs before you get here, you can have it translated a month and max 2 months before you come so you can start sending it out .
- you can start looking into lift companies now, but I wouldn’t bother contacting anyone until 3-4 months before your Aliya date. If you’re in the NJ/ NY area I highly recommend either Strand, Sonigo or Aliya lift company. I’ve heard good things about them and not such great things about others. Get quotes from at least 3 companies- but not yet. Again, the Facebook pages I mentioned in my previous post have a wealth of information about the companies and their costs (living financially smarter)

- if I were you, now, I’d focus on researching if you and your husbands fields exist in Israel and where the jobs are located and then I’d do more extensive research on specific communities. Lots of people here use watsapp so that’s a great way to get in touch with people who live in the communities you’re looking into. Once you start speaking to people, you can get more information about schools.
I hope this is helpful!

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, I’m more than half way done with uploading documents and I’m done with my nefesh application.

I’m feeling so overwhelmed and lost, I’m doing all the research by myself (husband isn’t doing much). Kids are now learning from home, I’m working from home. I’m overwhelmed! I’ve looked at a few communities but not in depth, I just tried to look for communities with “cheaper” rent but haven’t looked at schools. What do I look now? The main issue is work and I don’t know where to start. If we want to move in the summer, when do I start networking and looking online for jobs? When do I need to edit my resume to an Israeli one (no idea how). When do I start looking into lifts? I like to stick to plans and don’t like to do everything in the last minute.

tree of life

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:12 am
Hi I live in Israel pm I'm happy to help you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:13 am
Thanks for the help.

My kids will be entering first- fifth grade next year. I have one who has an anxiety disorder-selective mutism, so I’ll need a school I can work with, I know schools are different and class sizes are large, but I’m hoping to find one with not 40 kids in a class, with teachers I can easily communicate with. It should be mamlachti dati and I don’t mind boys and girls together for elementary.

For community, we like a mix, doesn’t have to be all anglos. Friendly community with sepharadic shuls. I prefer small cities or towns. Near the center but I guess can’t be too close for “affordable” rent.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:14 am
Happy birthday wrote:
Hi I live in Israel pm I'm happy to help you
Happy birthday poster, I think all of us answering have made aliyah and are living in Israel Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the help.

My kids will be entering first- fifth grade next year. I have one who has an anxiety disorder-selective mutism, so I’ll need a school I can work with, I know schools are different and class sizes are large, but I’m hoping to find one with not 40 kids in a class, with teachers I can easily communicate with. It should be mamlachti dati and I don’t mind boys and girls together for elementary.

For community, we like a mix, doesn’t have to be all anglos. Friendly community with sepharadic shuls. I prefer small cities or towns. Near the center but I guess can’t be too close for “affordable” rent.
What about the gush? Less expensive than the mercaz. There are some great schools here as well. And most yishuvim could be considered towns or small cities (well efrat is a small city anyway Smile )

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What about the gush? Less expensive than the mercaz. There are some great schools here as well. And most yishuvim could be considered towns or small cities (well efrat is a small city anyway Smile )

I second the Gush, if you don't have to commute to the mercaz daily. (These days, everyone is telecommuting, anyway.)

What kind of rent are you looking to pay?

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:02 am
Kochav Hashahar
perhaps Bracha? (which, btw, has 500,000 NIS, really nice, apartments for sale. The trick is getting accepted into the yishuv, but it's not a problem for most Americans.)

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the help.

What is your religious affiliation? When you say cheap what kind of figures are you expecting (I’ve learned that cheap here means very different things to different people).
Edit
Most DL class size is a lot lower than 40 (in my kids schools we pay a bit extra age it’s under 30 - usually 24-26). Your child will probably be eligible for special ed services and a small class mainstreamed in a regular school. You will want to look for an area with a large enough school to offer such classes, otherwise your child will have to be bused to a different town and it might be a hassle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions