Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Changes to the NYC free kosher DOE meals

Goldie613

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:16 am
Putting this in this forum - if it's the wrong one, my apologies :-)

Some of the public schools in NYC have been giving out kosher meals for free since the Spring, but the schedule and locations have now changed since the public schools are reopening.

Pick up times are now post public school hours only, and only when school is open. There are a lot less sites open, too.

Details at the link below - hope this helps -

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sc.....meals

If any of you go, can you tell us what they are giving on the new schedule? Thanks!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:58 am
In bp I think they're now giving only at fdr school on 20th avenue and 59 street - way at the end of the neighborhood and not accessible to majority people who need it

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
In bp I think they're now giving only at fdr school on 20th avenue and 59 street - way at the end of the neighborhood and not accessible to majority people who need it

There’s a huge Jewish neighborhood there.
I guess they’re switching it around to make it accessible to that end of town now .

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:01 am
The other place is e22 and ave p. While that area deserves meals too, what about everyone from Kensington to 9 Avenue to 36 street to ...

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:02 am
I thought this is a thread where we can write our recommendations for changes to the free kosher meals. I’ll take the liberty to do that anyway.
PLEASE CUT THE MILK NEXT TIME! We host humans, not cows. Unless if there’s plasma or any other anti corona miracle remedy in the milk we don’t need 7 bottles a day. Thank you.

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:12 am
Hey hey don’t take away my milk ... I use it .
They can keep the chocolate milk though.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:49 am
Guidelines are for milk to be served 3 meals a day. Schools must adhere in order to keep getting the funding. Wht dont you give the extra milk to neighbors? I live in a big building. Approx 10 people get milk and free meals. The other 40, including myself, are buying milk this whole time. We could use the milk..

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:59 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I thought this is a thread where we can write our recommendations for changes to the free kosher meals. I’ll take the liberty to do that anyway.
PLEASE CUT THE MILK NEXT TIME! We host humans, not cows. Unless if there’s plasma or any other anti corona miracle remedy in the milk we don’t need 7 bottles a day. Thank you.

Yes you do. School-age children are supposed to drink at least three 8-ounce cups of milk a day, every day. It wouldn't hurt adults to have that much, either.

What I don't understand is why they give out 2% milk when national nutritional guidelines are skim milk for everyone over the age of 2.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:00 am
Skim milk doesnt stay fresh very long

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Guidelines are for milk to be served 3 meals a day. Schools must adhere in order to keep getting the funding. Wht dont you give the extra milk to neighbors? I live in a big building. Approx 10 people get milk and free meals. The other 40, including myself, are buying milk this whole time. We could use the milk..

I can’t believe anyone in the tristate area needed to buy milk all this time.
So many people have a 5 year stock of milk in the freezer which they’d be so happy to share. My neighbors keep begging me to take from them but I only take 1 if they take 3 of mine in exchange.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:50 am
Thanks for posting this. I didn’t realize the site on my block was changing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:05 am
Are they still giving out the same food? Is it still three meals daily??

Goldie613

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:35 pm
Did anyone go today? What did they give on the new schedule? Is it still breakfast and lunch, or just one meal?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:55 pm
Any updates?
Anything good?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:51 pm
I went to the one in Flatbush. The line was long so the two hours were not enough. And they wanted to close before everyone in the line got their food. Not sure what happened in the end. But they did give regular breakfast and lunch, take as much as you need.
Breakfast today was cereal and milk and yogurt.
Lunch was egg salad, a small roll, milk, some tomatoes and an apple.
I think that is it. So the usual. Probably rotating like they did until now.
Also note that other public schools will be giving out food between 9-12 that may have OU or OU-D products in them. Check the site for more info if you eat these products https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sc.....meals .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics