Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Does a/o have a kitchen with these colors? Pics Please!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:29 am
blue cabinets and doors on cupboards and counter tops dark colors like black, brown, dark gray?
If so, could I see pictures? We are designing our kitchen and I love blue but the counter has been picked already and is a very dark color. I want to know if blue (of whatever shade people have) works with the dark counter tops.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:33 am
I love the color blue and knew that I wanted to incorporate it into my kitchen somehow. I wanted stained cabinets (better wear & tear than paint) and looked at blue counters but wasn’t into how it looked. I ended up doing light countertops, taupe/grey lower cabinets and cream uppers with blue backsplash and I love it!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:34 am
My dean kitchen would be blue lower cabinets and island, white upper cabinets. White marble countertops. Gold hardware.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:39 am
It could work with powder blue or taupe, but not navy.
Pictures in magazines and on websites have been professionally lighted, so they don't give you a sense of just how dark the colors can get.[quote]

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
It could work with powder blue or taupe, but not navy.
Pictures in magazines and on websites have been professionally lighted, so they don't give you a sense of just how dark the colors can get.
I know. Thats why I was hoping for people here that may have these combinations to post pictures.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:48 am
My mother has french blue painted cabinets with a dark black with blue speckled marble countertop. Gorgeous

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:50 am
My kitchen is 15 years old.
I have blue pearl granite. Natural oak cabinets. Stainless appliances and an almost black floor. My accent lights are cobalt and my backsplash is mostly cobalt with silver, grey and black.
I love it. There is not a morning I don't think how much I love my kitchen and the color. I have not regretted it for a single moment.

Sorry I am not sufficiently savvy to post pictures.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
My kitchen is 15 years old.
I have blue pearl granite. Natural oak cabinets. Stainless appliances and an almost black floor. My accent lights are cobalt and my backsplash is mostly cobalt with silver, grey and black.
I love it. There is not a morning I don't think how much I love my kitchen and the color. I have not regretted it for a single moment.

Sorry I am not sufficiently savvy to post pictures.
Sounds nice. We have a counter top already (Its almost chocolate brown). We cant change that, but we want to change the cabinets from another shade of brown, to blue. So the opposite of what you have.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:08 am
Is your kitchen big or small?
I don't know what is en-vogue now as I am both not (ever) trendy and not in the market. Go with what you love unless you are looking to sell in 5 years. It is you who spends most of the time there. You need something that you will love long term and not get sick of, wondering why you listened to everyone else but yourself.
Blue cabinets seem dark and heavy to me and would make me nervous about long term. But that is me and I am not the person who lives there.
I might want to consider natural cabinets and turquoise/teal with chocolate and cream backsplash with the turquoise lights. Your eye will go to the blue and it will feel blue with everything else being the background but without being overwhelming.
But that is just my opinion.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:17 am
Btw, I had no backsplash for years as I couldn't find what I envisioned. I designed my backsplash at a website, Susan Jablon. It is worth hanging on to that name and googling the website (where I was able to custom design what I wanted-less expensive that most designers, more than Home Depot). I had a great experience.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Btw, I had no backsplash for years as I couldn't find what I envisioned. I designed my backsplash at a website, Susan Jablon. It is worth hanging on to that name and googling the website (where I was able to custom design what I wanted-less expensive that most designers, more than Home Depot). I had a great experience.
I am not in america, but thank you for the idea anyway.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:25 am
Will there be a contrast between the cabinets and the counters. That is what is important.

In general people don't have dark toned cabinets - either painted or wood stain - with dark counters.

It doesn't matter if you have what people think of as a "light" kitchen because you can achieve that with lights. I have overhead lights; canned lights and decorative lights that uplight my coffered ceiling. It's silly to worry about natural light - in my opinion - because I use my kitchen most of the time when it is dark outside anyway :-).

You should take a sample of the counter and try it with the color of the cabinets to see if you like it.

I just remodeled and my counters are Black Galaxy and my cabinets are a medium honey quarter sawn oak. The floor is a light wood finish. So my cabinets and counter are not what most people would call light but they contrast with each other.

When I was looking at lots of pictures for inspiration prior to my remodeling, I did not see any combinations of dark cabinets WITH dark counters. However, without pictures it's difficult to know whether your choices are objectively dark or whether there is movement in the counter choice.

Have you purchased the counters because it's generally easy to change counter materials. In general people choose counters AFTER cabinets unless the counters are so incredibly unique that you want to design your kitchen around them.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:26 am
And as I generally add when people ask remodeling questions - go to houzz.com and ask on their forums because there are many more people there who have remodeled or are planning remodeling as well as professionals who offer advice on their forum. You are much more likely to find people who have pictures and experience of what you are looking for there rather on this forum.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:28 am
Amarante wrote:
Will there be a contrast between the cabinets and the counters. That is what is important.

In general people don't have dark toned cabinets - either painted or wood stain - with dark counters.

It doesn't matter if you have what people think of as a "light" kitchen because you can achieve that with lights. I have overhead lights; canned lights and decorative lights that uplight my coffered ceiling. It's silly to worry about natural light - in my opinion - because I use my kitchen most of the time when it is dark outside anyway :-).

You should take a sample of the counter and try it with the color of the cabinets to see if you like it.

I just remodeled and my counters are Black Galaxy and my cabinets are a medium honey quarter sawn oak. The floor is a light wood finish. So my cabinets and counter are not what most people would call light but they contrast with each other.

When I was looking at lots of pictures for inspiration prior to my remodeling, I did not see any combinations of dark cabinets WITH dark counters. However, without pictures it's difficult to know whether your choices are objectively dark or whether there is movement in the counter choice.

Have you purchased the counters because it's generally easy to change counter materials. In general people choose counters AFTER cabinets unless the counters are so incredibly unique that you want to design your kitchen around them.
We bought this house a few years ago. We liked everything but the kitchen was not perfect. It will be cheaper to change the color of the cabinets than change the entire counter tops (granite). And we want to do something because right now the kitchen is just very drab.
We are also thinking of doing the back splash instead of the cabinets, we arent sure just yet.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:34 am
Even if you are not in the states, I would still check out the public Susan jablon Facebook page for ideas. It might just be me because I love color and shiny, but I thought so much of it can give you inspiration.
(You need to scroll down and not just look at the pictures on the top when you go sideways. There was one in particular I think would resonate with you- it is dark counter and cabinets with a blue backsplash)

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:36 am
deleted

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We bought this house a few years ago. We liked everything but the kitchen was not perfect. It will be cheaper to change the color of the cabinets than change the entire counter tops (granite). And we want to do something because right now the kitchen is just very drab.
We are also thinking of doing the back splash instead of the cabinets, we arent sure just yet.

If you are changing the cabinets, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to use the existing counter.

Unless you are planning to just paint the cabinets, you would have to remove the counters which means that there is a good chance they will break during the process. You will not find a reputable contractor who will guarantee they will not be damaged because there is too much risk.

Painting cabinets correctly is not inexpensive. It is not as simple as painting walls. Also the finish is not as durable as the factory finish so it is a more temporary fix.

Also almost no one goes to the expense of replacing cabinets without changing the layout. Older kitchens generally have less desirable layouts. Good kitchen cabinets are expensive and while counters are expensive, they are far less expensive than cabinets.

I think you need to research more into how one remodels a kitchen - what you want to achieve - what your budget is and what you can realistically achieve with that budget.

Again, the best way to proceed is to go to houzz.com and post pictures of your current kitchen and ask for input on the way to make it less "drab". You can post pictures that you take easily from your computer or your phone. People are extremely helpful and you will receive advice that will help you proceed to get the best kitchen - kitchen of your dreams.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics