Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has anyone DOCTOR told them not to test?
1  2  3  Next

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:40 am
I know there are messages going around NY (maybe other places too) that schools and yeshivos are telling people not to test. Has anyone been hearing this from their PCP or ped as well? I’m just curious....

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:41 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I know there are messages going around NY (maybe other places too) that schools and yeshivos are telling people not to test. Has anyone been hearing this from their PCP or ped as well? I’m just curious....

Most people including Yeshivas encourage testing. Those who don't just didn't realize not testing will raise the positivity percentage which is worse.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:45 am
I posted that my kids' pediatrician told me that he tells his patients not to test.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Most people including Yeshivas encourage testing. Those who don't just didn't realize not testing will raise the positivity percentage which is worse.

That really has nothing to do with my question. I didn’t ask whether or not they were doing the right thing, that’s a different (I believe already existent) topic. My question was specifically about doctors.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I posted that my kids' pediatrician told me that he tells his patients not to test.

Thanks!! Where are you located?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:56 am
I know someone who tested positive (asymptomatic with antibodies fwiw) so they had to either quarantine for 14 days or get two negative tests. They got one negative test and the doctor told them they didn’t have to take a second one, they could just continue quarantine. Note that the reason wasn’t to keep numbers down, it was so they wouldn’t have to risk quarantining for another 2 weeks if they tested positive again, and this was only after they got one negative.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
What is the reason?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:04 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

what do you mean exactly? someone with high-level symptoms? or not? our doctor told me a couple of times it wasn't necessary to test when some family members had some symptoms like low fever, mild sore throat, generally achiness/malaise. We did not lose taste/smell, no high fever, no bad cough or breathing difficulty. He said it just sounded like a summer virus and we should wait a day or 2. So we did that and felt better BH. If we had had some of those other symptoms though he would have said to test. (And some of our kids did get tested before going to camp/yeshiva/school as per their requirements.)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:23 am
Back in March when my family had the corona virus, we were told to stay home and not test. (I know we had the virus because we had the classic symptoms, and later tested positive for antibodies.)

I wonder what changed that they are doing so much testing now.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:25 am
Chayalle wrote:
Back in March when my family had the corona virus, we were told to stay home and not test. (I know we had the virus because we had the classic symptoms, and later tested positive for antibodies.)

Back in March everyone was staying in doors so it was no difference if you tested or not. They also didn't have enough tests available for everyone.

Now that we're going out and mixing with others then we need to test, so that we don't spread it onto others.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:29 am
When my husband had corona earlier this month and my 18 month old spiked a fever my pediatrician told me I don't need to test. It wouldn't have changed the quarantine and it's hard to find someone to test a child that age in my area. Now I regret not testing since everytime this child has a cold I won't know if it's just a cold...

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:00 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Thanks!! Where are you located?

Delete

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:02 am
Ema of 4, you sound like a reporter. Why do you need to know?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:22 am
File it under "Those that know won't tell, and those that tell don't know".

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:31 am
I don’t think any good can come from this thread and I don’t think anyone should answer. It’ll just end up a bash thread. I think it should be locked

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:16 pm
What are the reasons people are being told not to get tested?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

"Don't test because then I need to fill out the paperwork and report it and they will be able to shut things down." - a well known brooklyn doctor in a Jewish community.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
"Don't test because then I need to fill out the paperwork and report it and they will be able to shut things down." - a well known brooklyn doctor in a Jewish community.
Can't Believe It Banging head Surprised

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:25 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

My sister is a doctor, and my DD works in a medical office under a doctor. In both cases, they don't tell people to test unless there is reason to - like COVID symptoms, exposure, etc...

About 2 weeks ago, my DD woke up one Sunday morning with a fever. I asked her doctor if I should test for COVID, and was told not to, but wait and see what develops. She had no other symptoms, and probably had COVID in March.

And her fever was gone by evening B"H.

I feel like there's a craze going on where every last symptom has people running to test (it's the reason my DD didn't come home from work till 1 1/2 hours after closing time on Erev Y"K.) It's pan(ic)demic going on.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:

It was just about impossible to get tested then. My internist said she had a patient with 104 who waited for hours and couldn't get tested.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics