Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How can you think it is over when the elderly are isolating?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:50 pm
I'm wondering how anyone can state so assuredly that Covid-19 is over when all the elderly have had their lives upended and have been secluded for six months in order to avoid contracting it?

Please explain the thought process.

Thanks.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:16 pm
Because out of sight, out of mind?

I've seen people on this board quoting elderly relatives saying they'd rather die of the virus than remain isolated indefinitely, so clearly not everyone is in isolation.

Last edited by youngishbear on Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:16 pm
Covid is over if you are thoughtless, uncaring, self centered, and in a hurry to resume your life. Otherwise, it is still a huge problem. Those who have children in yeshiva and are being told not to test, and are sending their children to school sick have absolutely no concern for others.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:23 pm
It looked at first that the frum community had eradicated it but then people started traveling to hotspots and ignoring warnings that the virus was back and now here we are. It's terrible for the elderly but even worse if children are again deprived of school because it gets shut down.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:25 pm
No all the elderly have not been secluded since april.
In my shul they have been coming since shavuos. I wear a mask to protect them and they don’t.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:17 am
Exactly, in my neighborhood the at-risk/older population came out of seclusion in June.
They are being careful now with the rise in cases but are not secluding again.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:11 am
southernbubby wrote:
It looked at first that the frum community had eradicated it but then people started traveling to hotspots and ignoring warnings that the virus was back and now here we are. It's terrible for the elderly but even worse if children are again deprived of school because it gets shut down.
And THAT was the problem. It was not over. It will not be over until there is a vaccine that is given out.
Just because a LOOOOOT of people got it and also died from it, does not mean it was eradicated :/

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:38 am
youngishbear wrote:
Because out of sight, out of mind?

I've seen people on this board quoting elderly relatives saying they'd rather die of the virus than remain isolated indefinitely, so clearly not everyone is in isolation.

And a lot of people here have stated that they'd rather have elderly people die, than have their children miss school.

I guess some kids needing to learn 1+1 is more important than other people's needing to breathe.

Is this really what Jewish values have come to?

nchr

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
And a lot of people here have stated that they'd rather have elderly people die, than have their children miss school.

I guess some kids needing to learn 1+1 is more important than other people's needing to breathe.

Is this really what Jewish values have come to?

I'm not commenting on this out of really trying to be a better person, but Jewish values are amazing in regard to tzedaka, chessed, hatzolah response time, meals, etc.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:43 am
No one said it's over. But when I saw many elderly in my community out and about since after pesach, I stopped caring so much. Most elderly here don't wear masks and don't take any precautions.They should care about themselves first before they expect others to care about them. Yes, there are elderly that are still isolated, but many many are not.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
No one said it's over. But when I saw many elderly in my community out and about since after pesach, I stopped caring so much. Most elderly here don't wear masks and don't take any precautions.They should care about themselves first before they expect others to care about them. Yes, there are elderly that are still isolated, but many many are not.

How can they know to he concerned if community is telling then otherwise? Many elederly are more temisdig and look to Rabonim for rules. Almost all I know would stay home and follow rules. They are way more compliant than the generation they raised.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
How can they know to he concerned if community is telling then otherwise? Many elederly are more temisdig and look to Rabonim for rules. Almost all I know would stay home and follow rules. They are way more compliant than the generation they raised.

Community always said that elderly and high risk need to take precautions. They're just fed up, like the rest of us are. It's effecting their mental health and they refuse to be locked in any longer.
My neighbor made a kiddush and an elderly women came, she was not wearing a mask. She started ranting "what's going on here, why isn't anyone wearing a mask??" I asked her why she's here without a mask and she didn't know what to say. They can't expect others to protect them if they're not protecting themselves.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:52 am
My father is elderly. He lives alone in a different city than any of his kids. Ordinarily he is very independent and still works in a professional capacity. First time around, he quarantined from purim til shevuos. It was excruciatingly difficult for him. We went once a week to bring him fresh food and groceries. We had people from the neighborhood bring him daily dinners. BUT, DAD is not the same, neither mentally nor physically. Its so sad to see how much damage it cause. His memory is not the same and my carefree happy Dad became an anxious person. He also developed other issues.

Now he is back at work. He REFUSES to be careful at this point. He is a very social person and is back in his element.. He davened without a mask RH and YK in a large shul even though there was a designated safer area for the elderly and vulnerable. He had enough. He will NEVER go back in quarantine again.

What to do?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:58 am
The community needs to prioritize curtailing high risk gatherings to protect both the vulnerable people and the schools. In some countries, school closures are endangering many children. The teens that attacked my son before Pesach were left without schools and youth programs that might have kept them out of trouble (although it wasn't their first arrest).
I was Cinderella yesterday. Shul happened without DH and me. I do wear masks to stores but my zip code is now probably too dangerous to shop.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:00 am
nchr wrote:
I'm not commenting on this out of really trying to be a better person, but Jewish values are amazing in regard to tzedaka, chessed, hatzolah response time, meals, etc.

No argument, but wouldn't you agree that it would be better if we didn't NEED to visit people in the hospital, or deliver shiva meals?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of chessed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics