Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ten tzadikim harugei malchus reading on yom kippur

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:32 am
on yom kippur I found the asarah harugei malchus very moving. I cried while reading it. .... how the tzadikim said give me a few days to see if this was decreed from Heaven and then they accepted it... how cruel the emperor was... how strong the tzadikim were in emunah... how the malachim said is this Torah and is this the reward? and Hashem said don't say more because will need to turn the earth into water... we read these tzadikim were the purest...

it's not the same situation now but it reminded me of two things:
a) so many tzadikim died now, nobody did it intentionally, but so many died, hard to find perspective sometimes. we can't question Hashem. the tzadikim are pure. one of them said Shema Yisrael as he was being tortured to death.

b)when people are unnecessarily hurtful in general, we need to approach it with the right type of emunah, is it meant to be? is it decreed? etc.

anyone have any thoughts on this? these are some of my thoughts, interested in hearing feedback

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
on yom kippur I found the asarah harugei malchus very moving. I cried while reading it. .... how the tzadikim said give me a few days to see if this was decreed from Heaven and then they accepted it... how cruel the emperor was... how strong the tzadikim were in emunah... how the malachim said is this Torah and is this the reward? and Hashem said don't say more because will need to turn the earth into water... we read these tzadikim were the purest...

it's not the same situation now but it reminded me of two things:
a) so many tzadikim died now, nobody did it intentionally, but so many died, hard to find perspective sometimes. we can't question Hashem. the tzadikim are pure. one of them said Shema Yisrael as he was being tortured to death.

b)when people are unnecessarily hurtful in general, we need to approach it with the right type of emunah, is it meant to be? is it decreed? etc.

anyone have any thoughts on this? these are some of my thoughts, interested in hearing feedback

It is meant to be but we can't be callous. We have to take a message. Tzaddikim mechaprim, which means that we have to think what we need to improve on. And how we can begin to fill the void of goodness left with the petira of a tzaddik.

I heard that Tisha B'Av is rock bottom day, when we face the results of bad decisions.
Which is really the beginning of the teshuva season, and prep for the yemei ratzon. So it's no wonder that we think about national tragedy on Yom Kippur, what happens if we don't do teshuva. And if it moves us to tears, that's a good thing on YK. I've heard - maybe it's even in the Artscroll - that we should cry during Neilah. (I know, Eileh Ezkerah is in Mincha. But close enough.)

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:30 pm
Eleh ezkerah makes me cry twice a year every year.
So does the Akedah.
So does David's lament over Avshalom.
So does the passage in Vezot Habracha where Hashem tells Moshe to look at the land that He's giving to Bnei Yisrael "veshama lo taavor. " Even just thinking about it makes me tear up. The image is so vivid. For 40 years this man has led his people and suffered their 'slings and arrows' just to prepare them to enter this land. 40 years! Now the long journey is almost over. Standing on a mountaintop he can even see the land--and he knows he will die and never go there. He doesn't even have the consolation that Yaakov and Yoseph had, of being buried there, but will be forever on the outside looking in.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but they all remain just as tragic as the first time I read them.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Eleh ezkerah makes me cry twice a year every year.
So does the Akedah.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but they all remain just as tragic as the first time I read them.

It's a good thing. Your soul's alive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics