Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to learn about fermentation?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:56 pm
Health benefits?
How to do it?
For a complete beginner that doesn't have much time.
What is a really simple way to learn how to do this?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:30 am
Do you learn better visually, or by reading?

There are many blogs out there that teach fermentation, and just as many YouTube videos showing you how step by step - including pictures of what things look like when your bacteria go wrong (this is really important.)

It's really trial and error. The good news is that if you start out with sauerkraut, cabbage and salt are really cheap. You can afford to mess it up multiple times until you get the hang of it.

I highly recommend you get a purpose made fermenting pot that is created from glazed clay. Some of them are truly gorgeous, and look great on the counter top. https://www.etsy.com/il-en/lis.....cns=1

I've tried using other containers (all the blogs will tell you that you don't need a fancy crock), but I haven't had any luck until I got a proper container. Your number one concern is getting an anaerobic seal, and that is a lot harder to do than it looks.

The health benefits are amazing. One or two tablespoons of live fermented food a day contains tons of probiotics, and your digestion will really benefit. Having a healthy gut impacts every other part of your body. Read up on the brain/body connection, and gut healing. It will explain everything in better detail than I can.

2gether

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:31 am
Kosher.com had an article about this recently:
Complete Guide to Get Started with Fermenting
Foods at Home

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:52 am
You could start by buying sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi, real borshtsh.

there are tons of good videos about how to do fermentation on youtube. Just enter "Sauerkraut" or "sourdough bread" or "kimchi" or "fermentation" in the search function.

Warning: it takes work. If you don't have time, stick to buying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 5:29 am
Thanks for this helpful info!
Never heard of fermentation crock- is that something you can order in Israel?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:09 am
I use glass jars that were originally cookie jars at my restaurant. I bought one in the Asian store but I like the glass better.

I started pickling when I was catering and had a lot of veg left over after a big event. I made a Korean cabbage salad that wasn’t kimchi and it lasted for months in my fridge.

I’ve successfully pickled a number of things Since then, including making kimchi, Green tomatoes, pickled eggs, pickled radish(daikon,) mushrooms ( boil gently first) sweet peppers, jalapeños, scotch bonnets and ghost peppers I grew this summer.

Depending on what I’m making I use either 100% salt and water or a mix of wAter/vinegar. Sadly I don’t follow a recipe but did buy a really nice book on fermentation way back before I started learning.

Also my pickled cucumbers have never worked out.

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
I use glass jars that were originally cookie jars at my restaurant. I bought one in the Asian store but I like the glass better.

I started pickling when I was catering and had a lot of veg left over after a big event. I made a Korean cabbage salad that wasn’t kimchi and it lasted for months in my fridge.

I’ve successfully pickled a number of things Since then, including making kimchi, Green tomatoes, pickled eggs, pickled radish(daikon,) mushrooms ( boil gently first) sweet peppers, jalapeños, scotch bonnets and ghost peppers I grew this summer.

Depending on what I’m making I use either 100% salt and water or a mix of wAter/vinegar. Sadly I don’t follow a recipe but did buy a really nice book on fermentation way back before I started learning.

Also my pickled cucumbers have never worked out.

Green tomatoes are delicious! In olive oil?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 4:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you learn better visually, or by reading?

There are many blogs out there that teach fermentation, and just as many YouTube videos showing you how step by step - including pictures of what things look like when your bacteria go wrong (this is really important.)

It's really trial and error. The good news is that if you start out with sauerkraut, cabbage and salt are really cheap. You can afford to mess it up multiple times until you get the hang of it.

I highly recommend you get a purpose made fermenting pot that is created from glazed clay. Some of them are truly gorgeous, and look great on the counter top. https://www.etsy.com/il-en/lis.....cns=1

I've tried using other containers (all the blogs will tell you that you don't need a fancy crock), but I haven't had any luck until I got a proper container. Your number one concern is getting an anaerobic seal, and that is a lot harder to do than it looks.

The health benefits are amazing. One or two tablespoons of live fermented food a day contains tons of probiotics, and your digestion will really benefit. Having a healthy gut impacts every other part of your body. Read up on the brain/body connection, and gut healing. It will explain everything in better detail than I can.

do you ferment beets?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise