Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can the word jurisdiction be used when unrelated to law?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:59 am
The sentence I'm writing is along the lines of 'We're concentrating on the areas where we have the jurisdiction to improve.'

Does that make sense if I'm referring to areas to improve within a business setting? As in, there are other areas we would like to improve as well, but since it's related to the way we interact with a secondary business, we don't have any control over what happens there. So we're going to focus the report on the areas that can be improved by us only.

Or please let me know if you have any better ideas. Smile

Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:03 am
I'd go with "authority" or "within our power (or purview)."

You could use "jurisdiction" in an informal setting, but it is a legal term.

SacN

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:51 am
I agree with the above post. It works, but it's not the best fit.

Write to be accessible.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:56 pm
SacN wrote:
I agree with the above post. It works, but it's not the best fit.

Write to be accessible.

What does THAT mean? If you mean "write so that your audience can understand," say so.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:58 pm
I agree with above. Depending on your sentence structure, you can use "within our domain" as well.
"

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:08 pm
Thanks all!

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:21 pm
Or "within our bailiwick." It's a real word. I probably wouldn't use it in formal writing because it SOUNDS like a humorous word, like flibbertigibbet or flabbergasted, even though it derives from a legal term, but would use it in conversation. But, then, I'd use 'jurisdiction' in conversation as well.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 3:08 pm
I would use jurisdiction metaphorically as a figure of speech but not in a formal business document. In personal life we talk about your "sphere of influence," perhaps that could fit for you too. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're going for. You could probably eliminate this problem entirely by just being simpler like "we are going to focus on improving our role in these transactions, given that other factors depend on Business B." Or you could just not say anything at all because isn't it a given that you only work on things that are yours to work on? Unless a specific issue has been raised, in which case you can address it directly as in "Concerns were raised regarding ____, but as this is in Company B's control, we have forwarded these concerns for them to address."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics