Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When do diapers get changed by playgroup?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:37 pm
My 2 year old has come home smelling like a dirty diaper three times since he started. Once he actually had a dirty diaper and twice it was just a lingering smell on his clothes and himself that makes me wonder if he’s sitting in dirty diapers for a long time before he gets changed.
The playgroup is a clean place, appropriately staffed etc. Not sure how to deal with this.

Stars

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:38 pm
Talk to them.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:38 pm
That doesn’t sound good. If you notice him getting a rash, he might not be changed often enough. Tell the teacher your concerns.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:41 pm
Talk to the teachers. Many playgroups have a designated changing time and don't always realize if a kid needs to be changed if it's not changing time.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:42 pm
I once had this at a playgroup. I don't know if I ended up talking to them, or realizing on my own that it's when they're running low on diapers and being stingy.
The set up was that every child sends a package once a month, and it's a "sharing" system. Wasn't working out because I would send a case every 8 weeks or so, some moms would do the same, and some would just send the smallest packages out there because it's a sharing system anyway.
I ended up putting a few pampers in her briefcase and told the Morah that she's sensitive and if it's an issue I always have extras in her briefcase. They were rarely used, but the issue cleared up after.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:09 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I once had this at a playgroup. I don't know if I ended up talking to them, or realizing on my own that it's when they're running low on diapers and being stingy.
The set up was that every child sends a package once a month, and it's a "sharing" system. Wasn't working out because I would send a case every 8 weeks or so, some moms would do the same, and some would just send the smallest packages out there because it's a sharing system anyway.
I ended up putting a few pampers in her briefcase and told the Morah that she's sensitive and if it's an issue I always have extras in her briefcase. They were rarely used, but the issue cleared up after.

Such a strange system. Every kid wears a different size, needs to be changed different amounts, and uses different brands.
OP, I’d just nicely mention it to the teacher. The times a parent in my class said something like that to me (as hard as you try, it’s easy to overlook some diapers sometimes), I was careful to always make sure they were promptly changed after that.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:13 pm
I work in a daycare with newborns. If we see a child is dirty we change them right away, the day starts at 9, we make sure every kid is changed by 11 and then again by 2. Most kids end up getting changed at least 3 times during the day

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:55 am
I work in childcare and generally if a child is dirty they get changed immediately, or as soon as possible. Wet diapers are usually all changed around the same time between 11-12. Then again in the afternoon somewhere between 2-3.
Definitely worth mentioning gently that maybe child is sensitive and needs to be changed more often. That might prompt the teacher to remember more often.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:09 am
Sometimes the whole place smells and the teacher doesn’t even smell it anymore so they may not notice that your child needs to be changed and sometimes the teacher just isn’t excited to change a dirty diaper and probably does it the end of the day. The problem I had was my child was being changed right away but cleaned very half heartedly enough to cause a rash.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:15 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Sometimes the whole place smells and the teacher doesn’t even smell it anymore so they may not notice that your child needs to be changed and sometimes the teacher just isn’t excited to change a dirty diaper and probably does it the end of the day. The problem I had was my child was being changed right away but cleaned very half heartedly enough to cause a rash.

None of that is acceptable! Playgroup/gan should not smell so bad that you can't tell one stinky bottom from another. "Not noticing" is not acceptable. Not cleaning properly is not acceptable. If you have too many kids in your group, and not enough assistants to keep on top of keeping everyone clean and dry, that is not acceptable.

If you are "not excited", then you are in the wrong line of work. No child should sit in a dirty diaper all day, just because changing poopy kids is not your favorite job. It comes with the territory, and it is not negotiable.

Mad

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
None of that is acceptable! Playgroup/gan should not smell so bad that you can't tell one stinky bottom from another. "Not noticing" is not acceptable. Not cleaning properly is not acceptable. If you have too many kids in your group, and not enough assistants to keep on top of keeping everyone clean and dry, that is not acceptable.

If you are "not excited", then you are in the wrong line of work. No child should sit in a dirty diaper all day, just because changing poopy kids is not your favorite job. It comes with the territory, and it is not negotiable.

Mad

I totally agree. I was very surprised and I definitely thought a lot less of teacher as a result. I did resolve it though.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:41 am
I just found out about my the policy my child's playgroup has this past week.

There is no diaper changing on Fridays.
Hello, do kids not make on Fridays ???

I'm very disappointed as it took me a long time to decide which playgroup to send to and I feel that it's cruel to watch a child running around with a dirty or very wet diaper hanging down and not change it.

My son drinks an awful lot ,like 10 bottles a day. He needs to be changed every hour. I'll be happy to pay them more to keep on top of it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:48 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

I'm very disappointed as it took me a long time to decide which playgroup to send to and I feel that it's cruel to watch a child running around with a dirty or very wet diaper hanging down and not change it.

My son drinks an awful lot ,like 10 bottles a day. He needs to be changed every hour. I'll be happy to pay them more to keep on top of it.

Surprised I would tell the morahs "OK, you can't use the restroom on Fridays, either. I hope you're not drinking too much coffee."

Children are completely helpless and dependent on adults. If those adults can't be bothered to do BASIC care and hygiene, then you need another play group ASAP. Next thing you know, they might start restricting liquids, pouring your child's bottles down the drain so he won't make wet too often.

As a mother and a person who does child care for a living, I am absolutely appalled at this behavior. Do these people have no hearts?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

Depending on age of kid and length of playgroup time on fridays, most children do not need to be changed. If your child drink a lot just remind the morah to: "please check his diaper at x time because he get soaked, thanks!"
(I don't think it has anything to do with money! Rolling Eyes )

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:43 am
Double post.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:49 am
I work at a daycare.

We change diapers twice a day.
We are also constantly checking the diaper s if there is a smell.
Problem is that by the end of the day it's the garbage that smells and we can end up going in circles checking their diapers multiple times only to discover it's the garbage.

That's not to say that once in a while a child does not leak. We really try our best.

Yesterday, within 10 min of our day starting we had a kid leak up his back because he was having bad diapers.
Then we had to wait a few minutes to change him because the mother hadn't sent a change of clothes
Luckily the director found us a change of clothes and we actually tried washing the child up to the best of our ability in the sink so he shldnt go home smelling like a dirty diaper

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Mad

As a playgroup Morah I mostly agree with you. However it is possible that at the end of the day during pickup (while we are playing outside) a child can have a dirty diaper and it will go unnoticed. The smell doesn't go far and he usually will be playing with his friends like regular. Its a major fear of mine that a mother will come and her kid is dirty so I do one last check at 4 but it can happen!

rgr

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:08 am
I find that Lingering smell of a dirty diaper is usually a bad brand of diapers or a small leak on the clothing that went unnoticed

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:09 am
ysdm wrote:
I work at a daycare.

We change diapers twice a day.
We are also constantly checking the diaper s if there is a smell.
Problem is that by the end of the day it's the garbage that smells and we can end up going in circles checking their diapers multiple times only to discover it's the garbage.

That's not to say that once in a while a child does not leak. We really try our best.

Yesterday, within 10 min of our day starting we had a kid leak up his back because he was having bad diapers.
Then we had to wait a few minutes to change him because the mother hadn't sent a change of clothes
Luckily the director found us a change of clothes and we actually tried washing the child up to the best of our ability in the sink so he shldnt go home smelling like a dirty diaper

Do you only change your own child two times a day? This is shocking. Sorry.

amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

I spent 6 weeks working in a at home (unlicensed) day care (there were so many issues but I needed a job!). The morah did this. She told the parents she was sharing their diapers. That is kind of true. She had babies and toddlers of her own in addition to the daycare kids. She would use the good diapers the parents brought for their kids and she would use the cheap diapers she bought on the daycare kids. She also told the parents to send in their WIC cheese (how did she know they had wic? no idea) and cut up the blocks and feed it to her own kids, etc... her rationale was that it was government cheese! Suddenly, all of the parents started writing their babies names on all the diapers in sharpie. Hmmmm, I wonder how they got that idea (hint - I told them to). She stopped stealing the diapers.

These playgroups with these weird policies are never honest. Parents need to do research smarter.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:33 am
Twice a day seems right if the day ends at 3:15 as many day cares do. Sometimes you may need three. Why is that shocking?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics