Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Potential school reclosings
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:33 pm
I heard a rumor that some schools are talking about only allowing students to return after Sukkos if they have antibodies.
Just that thought is sending my anxiety through the roof.
This seems to be encouraging families and kids to get sick deliberately over Yom Tov to attempt antibodies.
It also penalizes anyone who tried hard to follow instructions back in March and April.
And of course the schools will be charging regular tuition for those at home, whose parents can't work and the kids don't even want to be home.
This is a stupid plan.
Right?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:35 pm
Lots of schools are just staying closed for a week or two after sukkos. Which is smart, from a healthpoint and containment POV.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:36 pm
Basing anything on antibodies is a silly plan as there's no evidence that planning with antibodies provides any assurances beyond maybe some weeks. Then, it's back to square one.

It also assumes most or all people got it (and will test positive for antibodies) and punishes people who didn't and discourages preventing spread. It basically says if someone wants to attend, they need to get COVID and exposure their families and loved ones to it.

It sounds silly and irresponsible, which doesn't mean sadly that I don't believe it's being suggested.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard a rumor that some schools are talking about only allowing students to return after Sukkos if they have antibodies.
This seems to be encouraging families and kids to get sick deliberately over Yom Tov to attempt antibodies.
It also penalizes anyone who tried hard to follow instructions back in March and April.
And of course the schools will be charging regular tuition for those at home, whose parents can't work and the kids don't even want to be home.
This is a stupid plan.
Right?

I haven’t heard it but yea agree with you that if that’s the case... I “need” my kids to get corona over succos (they’re not high risk)!
Corona parties coming soon?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:41 pm
Can you imagine the (distorted) headline "Jewish Schools Requiring Students and Staff Get COVID in Order to Attend"?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:45 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Can you imagine the (distorted) headline "Jewish Schools Requiring Students and Staff Get COVID in Order to Attend"?

It wouldn't be so distorted.
My kids need school.
The months they were home, we had behavioral and psychological challenges that magically went away the day we went back to school.
My husband and I are fairly low risk and we don't live near any elderly family.
And I can imagine my teens slipping out of the house to go expose themselves if the alternative is to stay home. (And I can't say I don't understand why they would. I'm tempted also.)

Bruria

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:50 pm

Last edited by Bruria on Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It wouldn't be so distorted.
My kids need school.
The months they were home, we had behavioral and psychological challenges that magically went away the day we went back to school.
My husband and I are fairly low risk and we don't live near any elderly family.
And I can imagine my teens slipping out of the house to go expose themselves if the alternative is to stay home. (And I can't say I don't understand why they would. I'm tempted also.)

I'm not arguing schools should be closed or open. I'm discussing using antibodies to determine anything.

Basing anything on antibodies requires people to get sick and even then, not all people will test positive to antibodies.

Also people who had tested positive a few months ago, are getting sick again now.

For anyone to do their "hishtadlus" to get antibodies means they need to go make an effort to get sick.

You can bet any thoughtful person will easily take a story like that and conclude the school is effectively requiring people get COVID in order to attend.

And some journalists/publications wouldn't think twice about writing that headline...about any school...and how much more incendiary would it be to be our schools?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:53 pm
Bruria wrote:
Plasma with antibodies helped people in serious condition recover, it is not silly.

I don't think you understand what antibodies actually mean or bothered to read any research.

Next time you go to the doctor, ask what it means.Educate yourself.

So far, very few cases were documented of people getting it twice meaning those with antibodies are essentially immune as far as they know.

Schools with the correct protocols in place should be able to open, but given how this pandemic is playing, no one can know what's going to happen

My doctor and local DOH assert there is no reason to believe that having antibodies provides any or any lasting protection. Also, for the third time, it requires people to have had COVID. Meaning people who haven't gotten COVID can't attend school.

I know of many people personally who tested positive for antibodies a few months ago and are sick again now.

There is no medically recognized reason to use antibodies as a determinant. It fails on a lot of fronts in practice--it already has.

There are other better ways to ensure schools reopen and stay open safely. We've been provided them, and we can choose to do them if having our schools open is really important to us. And it is important to me and sounds like it's important to many others. So we should walk the talk.

Bruria

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:03 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
My doctor and local DOH assert there is no reason to believe that having antibodies provides any or any lasting protection. Also, for the third time, it requires people to have had COVID. Meaning people who haven't gotten COVID can't attend school.

I know of many people personally who tested positive for antibodies a few months ago and are sick again now.

There is no medically recognized reason to use antibodies as a determinant. It fails on a lot of fronts in practice--it already has.

There are other better ways to ensure schools reopen and stay open safely. We've been provided them, and we can choose to do them if having our schools open is really important to us. And it is important to me and sounds like it's important to many others. So we should walk the talk.

Last edited by Bruria on Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:56 pm
Bruria wrote:
Answering NotinNJMommy:

Plasma with antibodies helped people in serious condition recover, it is not silly.

I don't think you understand what antibodies actually mean or bothered to read any research.

Next time you go to the doctor, ask what it means.Educate yourself.

So far, very few cases were documented of people getting it twice meaning those with antibodies are essentially immune as far as they know.

Schools with the correct protocols in place should be able to open, but given how this pandemic is playing, no one can know what's going to happen
these two are seem to be contradicting, antibodies help people recover from serious condition but their immune? You can’t be in a serious condition if you are immune.

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
these two are seem to be contradicting, antibodies help people recover from serious condition but their immune? You can’t be in a serious condition if you are immune.

Help OTHER people recover from serious conditions (due to plasma donation).

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Obviously there is some immunity, but it doesn't appear to be long lasting if the antibodies turn up at all.

And to get antibodies, someone needs to actually be in contact with the virus and likely get sick.

To require antibodies requires people to get sick.

To require antibodies to attend school requires people to get sick.

That does not make sense regardless of whether the immunity is permanent or not.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:04 pm
It is a RUMOR it is NOT true

little neshamala

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:04 pm
OP are you sure they meant antibodies?
Ive heard ideas about only allowing kids to come back after sukkos after proof of a negative covid test...which makes a lot more sense

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:09 pm
The antibody test has been extremely unreliable. Moreover, antibodies seem to be fading over time; no one is clear if that means that immunity is also fading.

This sounds like one of those ridiculous rumors.

I really wish schools had started virtual, or in very small groups, then only gone to a real schedule after succot, with mandatory testing, given how many students and teachers are going to wind up in small or large groups with others.

Keep the kids in small groups that don't change or mix with other groups, masks, social distance, shut down classes, not schools, for isolated cases, pray to Hashem to keep us safe.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a stupid plan.
Right?

Where is this? I hope my children’s schools don’t do this, but I will understand if they do....

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:17 pm
In Detroit, any kid whose family goes out of town has to stay home for 10 days after they return.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
In Detroit, any kid whose family goes out of town has to stay home for 10 days after they return.

In FR and the 5T, many (most, of not all) are requiring quarantine for 10 or 14 days (I’m not sure which) if a kid goes out of town or to a Simcha. At least one school (I believe) has already said they will be fully remote for two weeks following Sukkot vacation, and I know other schools are discussing doing the same thing.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a stupid plan.
Right?

Op, it sounds like you are contributing to the spread of fake news.

You heard a "rumor"? From who? What schools would this involve? I think so few people have antibodies that out of a class of 20, 2 or 3 students would be allowed to attend. But wait, what about the rebbe and teachers? Most of them don't have antibodies either. Op, this sounds like fake news.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics