Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Flatbush/BP classes in quarantine
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:27 pm
can amother who posted BYA 12th grade confirm how she found out,
I have a daughter in BYA 12th grade, and we haven't been notified about anything...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:38 pm
Our Flatbush BY school emailed us updated guidelines last week, which included to contact them BEFORE testing the kid if there are covid symptoms...

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
can amother who posted BYA 12th grade confirm how she found out,
I have a daughter in BYA 12th grade, and we haven't been notified about anything...

There was a confirmed positive in the grade today. Hopefully, we will receive official notice tomorrow.

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Our Flatbush BY school emailed us updated guidelines last week, which included to contact them BEFORE testing the kid if there are covid symptoms...

Of course. Because lab test are reported and they don't want to be shut down. My son tested positive on a lab test. His friends test on rapid test, only my son''s test was reported so the dept of health is driving him crazy , not his friends.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
There was a confirmed positive in the grade today. Hopefully, we will receive official notice tomorrow.

so the girls are all going in tomorrow and then will be told to go home?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:55 pm

This approach looks rather worrysome to me.
It looks as if they wanted to avoid getting cases from their school reported, even at the expense of the children's and their families' health.

this does not look like a safe route to go.

It looks as if they just wanted to look away. But this diseases does not go away from denying reality. This is an epidemic that should be fought head very actively.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:37 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Of course. Because lab test are reported and they don't want to be shut down. My son tested positive on a lab test. His friends test on rapid test, only my son''s test was reported so the dept of health is driving him crazy , not his friends.

Rapid tests don't get reported? How come?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:38 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It looks as if they wanted to avoid getting cases from their school reported, even at the expense of the children's and their families' health.

It looks as if they just wanted to look away. But this diseases does not go away from denying reality. This is an epidemic that should be fought head very actively.

Yes. Many parents advocate for this approach, but it's different coming from the school.

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:06 am
Rapid tests don't get reported? How come?

Rapids are extremely inaccurate-

gold21

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Mental health issues do not go away by denying reality, either. Shutting down an entire school because there are TWO cases of covid in a school is ridiculous. Shut down those two classes, obviously. There has to be some give & take, some balance here, some nuance. Covid is not the only risk in the world. Lockdown carries risk too. So a common sense approach of shutting down any class with a positive case makes sense. But to shut down an entire school, including completely separate divisions? It's ridiculous and pointless and that's why schools are panicking.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:45 am
gold21 wrote:
Mental health issues do not go away by denying reality, either. Shutting down an entire school because there are TWO cases of covid in a school is ridiculous. Shut down those two classes, obviously. There has to be some give & take, some balance here, some nuance. Covid is not the only risk in the world. Lockdown carries risk too. So a common sense approach of shutting down any class with a positive case makes sense. But to shut down an entire school, including completely separate divisions? It's ridiculous and pointless and that's why schools are panicking.

I understand, but if kids don't get tested, I don't know if their classes will quarantine and people who hung out with them will be notified.

gold21

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:39 pm
I understand, but if kids don't get tested, I don't know if their classes will quarantine and people who hung out with them will be notified.

That's the problem when the pendulum swings to one extreme. People may react to the craziness by swinging to the other exreme. The whole thing is a shame because it's stupid on all ends.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:23 am
I heard some flatbush schools closed. Does anyone know which ones?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 10:23 am
Delete

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:33 pm
The Cheder - one 6th grade and one 7th grade (Rebbeim tested positive).

The 6th grade was notified and told to stay home. So far so good.

Apparently word didn't get out to the 7th grade and more than half the class showed up. Instead of sending then home to quarantine, the school decided that there's no danger since they're asymptomatic and put them together with the healthy 7th grade, but moved them to a larger beis medrash instead of their normal classroom.

When I heard about this, I was speechless. I called a mother in the class with the sick Rebbe to ask for more details, and to my utter dismay, she said that this was the first she was hearing that her son's Rebbe had Covid - even though he tested positive last Thursday!

That means that the boys in that class innocently went to their shuls on Yom Kippur, completely oblivious that their Rebbe had tested positive and they should all be home in quarantine instead of in shul where they were quite possibly infecting everyone around them.

How is this okay, and why isn't a school that completely flouts the rules and endangers so many families getting shut down?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:29 pm
Right, I had the same issue with BYA HS that didn't notify any parents when 2 girls tested positive. The classes resumed as usual with no notifications or any nod to the fact that someone in the class was sick and in class two days prior. I believe it the parents right to know if their kids were exposed and to take any needed precautions. The lack of transparancy was very troubling.

I am not saying the classes have to be closed, but there should be a certain level of honesty.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics