Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why are Covid threads here not matching any other sources?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:21 pm
How come every news source and internet search seem to say that while re-infection of Covid in the same person is possible, it's not something to panic about.
Yet when I log into imamother it's all panic and cases of LOTS of people catching it a second time and getting it WORSe the second time around etc.

If any of you with the above claims is willing to give names, sources, or anything concrete, I would really appreciate it as this is all getting to be quite exhausting.

Thank you!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:30 pm
You should know by now that Imamothers know everything and they know better then the experts.....
Many posters make things up or repeat things they heard from non reliable sources. Many just want to cause panic and hysteria. If there's something I read on Imamother that I want to believe, I look it up for a source.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:33 pm
I did read an article in the Jerusalem Post that interviewed some people who appeared to.ot twice, and where 4he second time was worse. They were all within a fairly short time frame, and it's not clear whether it really was a second infection or a flare up of the original infection. Most people I have heard from who seem to have had it twice, say the second time was much milder.

https://m.jpost.com/israel-new.....43817

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How come every news source and internet search seem to say that while re-infection of Covid in the same person is possible, it's not something to panic about.
Yet when I log into imamother it's all panic and cases of LOTS of people catching it a second time and getting it WORSe the second time around etc.

If any of you with the above claims is willing to give names, sources, or anything concrete, I would really appreciate it as this is all getting to be quite exhausting.

Thank you!

I don't get it either. Apparently, a super rare event is happening by the hundreds in their own community, if you believe everything you read here.

Maybe it's the same person, posting over and over again.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:14 pm
While I can't comment on this specific phenomenon I will say many times anecdotal evidence is more readily and immediately available and I don't dismiss it off the bat.

Real studies take time to conduct and publish and with covid were not really dealing with that much time. So sometimes what we see emerging among family friends and neighbors on a day to day basis is more accurate in real time in the absence of real scientific evidence.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
While I can't comment on this specific phenomenon I will say many times anecdotal evidence is more readily and immediately available and I don't dismiss it off the bat.

Real studies take time to conduct and publish and with covid were not really dealing with that much time. So sometimes what we see emerging among family friends and neighbors on a day to day basis is more accurate in real time in the absence of real scientific evidence.

The standards for confirming reinfection in the same person are pretty rigorous, including positive test with viral sequencing both times, and negative testing in between. Few people had access to that level of testing back in March, even though our community was really hard hit. We are also experiencing what seems to be the start of the second wave at a time when it stands to reason that some people's immunity has started to wane (based on immunity timeline of other recurrent seasonal infectious disease).

Our communities served as the basis for a lot of studies on convalescent plasma. It is possible for a hard-hit group to provide a starting point for proving or disproving a new hypothesis about a new illness.

This is why the testing aspect is so crucial to taming and understanding this disease.

Cpg

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:35 pm
Whew.

This is a new disease. We don't know how it works. We have some guesses, but really much of what we understand about it is conjecture.

I feel like people are looking for certainties where there are none. Yes, it's possible to be reinfected. Yes, it's possible to have a worse course the 2nd time around. We hope it's not likely, and that's also what we guess. But we don't know, and we probably won't know for at least a couple more months--likely longer than that.

But the recommendations remain the same, and have done so since the spring. Don't go to crowded places if you can avoid it. Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Stay home if you're sick.

Science is actually moving VERY quickly on this. But since it takes a long time (and a lot of data) to grasp how a virus like this works, we're just going to be clueless for a little while longer.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thank you!

Of the two verified cases of reinfection that I read papers about (as I said in a previous thread there I only found two cases where it is certain it was a reinfection, not a re-emergence, which can only be done by sequencing the DNA of the virus both time and comparing), and while the second has not yet been peer-reviewed, the first case was milder, the second was more severe and required hospitalization.

Here are the links.
https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1275
https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3680955

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Simple.

Part one: you're confusing "don't panic" with "it's vanishingly rare."

We shouldn't panic. And yet, at the same time, reinfection can happen - it's not yet clear how often, or under what circumstances - and can sometimes have serious outcomes. There's no contradiction there.

Keep in mind that when doctors say "don't panic," they tend to mean "there's still hope for a vaccine," not that there's no reason for people with antibodies to take any precautions.

Part two: you're hearing the same story multiple times from the same people.

That's not the same as everyone panicking, or "LOTS" of cases of reinfection. How many people are really saying they know someone who's been reinfected? 5? 10? Out of how many users here?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics