Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kept my kids home
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

itsmeima

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:21 pm
I did that after Purim, a week later school was cancelled.

B’H now everyone wears a mask. Every ten kids are in their own bubble. They sanitize before lunch...

Schools need to know that they need to put a system in place...! Good luck!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Am I the only crazy one?
I think its extremely irresponsible of schools to be open, I felt this was the right thing to do. Anyone with me?

No your not. Hubby told menahel unless he can guarantee that my son will not bring covid home to us we will not be sending our son back. By the way we are untill now we were forced to send because the "its over life has to go on" crowd pushed through their agenda that yeshivas don't have an online /hybrid option. So they are forcing my son to go to the same class with families who take zero precautions. So who is forcing who ? Yeshivas are mandated by their own plan that they submitted to NYS to offer parents who are vulnerable or don't feel comfortable an online option. So you want to be nuts and send your kids to yeshiva in a magayfa time that's your business don't force it me.
But I don't worry because all schools will be shut in 2-3 weeks. Let me remind me 1000's of public school kids in nyc went to school today and we all know they are not going to listen to the mama's here and they will get tested and the numbers will go up dramatically and ALL schools will get shut.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
No your not. Hubby told menahel unless he can guarantee that my son will not bring covid home to us we will not be sending our son back. By the way we are untill now we were forced to send because the "its over life has to go on" crowd pushed through their agenda that yeshivas don't have an online /hybrid option. So they are forcing my son to go to the same class with families who take zero precautions. So who is forcing who ? Yeshivas are mandated by their own plan that they submitted to NYS to offer parents who are vulnerable or don't feel comfortable an online option. So you want to be nuts and send your kids to yeshiva in a magayfa time that's your business don't force it me.
But I don't worry because all schools will be shut in 2-3 weeks. Let me remind me 1000's of public school kids in nyc went to school today and we all know they are not going to listen to the mama's here and they will get tested and the numbers will go up dramatically and ALL schools will get shut.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Hi God! I didn't know God is an active imamother poster.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Hi God! I didn't know God is an active imamother poster.

You read my whole post and that was your best come back. When your "life has to go on" mothers are sending actively sick kids to school you are not playing God by deciding that now the rest of the class should get sick to ? Or did God speack to you and tell you everythig will be alright ? What's next your going to tell me that I spelled Speak wrong.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
You read my whole post and that was your best come back. When your "life has to go on" mothers are sending actively sick kids to school you are not playing God by deciding that now the rest of the class should get sick to ? Or did God speack to you and tell you everythig will be alright ?

Absolutely no one can say that cases will rise dramatically and schools will be shut. No one in the world can know that besides for hashem.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 4:46 pm
I don't necessarily agree with the tone here, but OP is not the only one.

We are also keeping our kids home. No, they don't do playdates. No, I don't go to the grocery store. DH does not go to shul and has the bracha of being able to WFH. I am not working right now.

Of all of us, I'm suffering the most. We go on a lot of nature walks and the kids seem mostly happy. When we pass people in the street, my kids are still very friendly, not afraid of strangers or anything. They're little, which I think probably makes the whole thing easier.

We are technically low risk, just don't want to take chances if we can afford not to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:16 pm
I too kept my kids home! You are definitely very smart in your decision. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the tone here ...

We are technically low risk, just don't want to take chances if we can afford not to.

This was the kindest most understanding post in this whole thread.

Good for you pink. You've done a cost benefit analysis and done what's appropriate for your family, while also understanding that others have their own situations.

To the amother who asked for her menahel to guarantee that her child would get sick. How unfair. And also blind. There are no guarantees in this world. Even staying home. Will not guarantee this. It may significantly lower the risk. But that's all it does. My son's school has masks and plexiglass and temp checks. And even then I know that it may the their best and expensive effort...with no guarantees.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:55 am
Schools _can_ be safer than lots of other public places. Some of them are, and then they should be able to be open. But our son's school, for example, is much less safe than other places our family goes. Less safe than the grocery, less safe than the chasuna I popped into (outside), less safe than masked, distanced playdates, less safe than work. Despite saying that they are masking and social distancing, the kids are mostly not masked and are crawling all over each other. The school just isn't enforcing what they said they were doing to keep everyone safe. A school like that should certainly be closed down until the parents and administration take it seriously.

We had a chance to make school work this fall. Kids are resilient, and they wanted to be in school so much that they could have tolerated all the inconvenience of the safety protocols. But we adults can't stop complaining and making excuses why we can't be safe with masks and staying apart. Adults need to follow and enforce the rules. Maybe after Sukkos we'll get another chance to do it right.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:13 pm
up until last week parents could do that in our town. this rule is over and parents must send their children to school unless they have a specific doctors note stating that the child or parent or sibling (living in the same household) is high risk.

im a teacher. all my kids go to school. sd and maskwearing aswell as hadnwashign is VERY VERY STRICT in our schools. clusters of 15 kids max. no mixing of clusters etc.

parents get update every three days about numbers, statistics, guidelines ... if a child becomes k1- the cluster is immediately in quarantine and gets tested...

I believe this system works well, is safe, transparent and causes significantly less infections comapred to shul/officework/shop/simcha/busses etc.

the kids can strive and continue their lives, a routine is established ...they have peers, definietly easier for them than during lockdown.

´-. there definitely are exceptions - I know of one famkly thats is so so anxious the kids developed anxiety the doctor wrote them a note and they are at home now. when I speak to that student she is honestly scared to come to school. please dont scare your kids, make them aware of the situation and explain to them as much as possible, but please dont let them develop anxieties.

my mother is very highrisk- she is alone and lives 3 houses away from us in a tiny appartment. she hasnt left the house since march. I dont think she is crazy. she knows exactly what she can do and cannot do after chemotherapy last year and a very poor health and literally no immune system (she needs to take immunesuppressives). she is almost 80. SHE IS SO OPTIMISTIC THOUGH b´´H. no panic, anxiety, ... we talk on the phone whe shop for her... we do the best we can.

she would probably call us crazy if we let our ba´´h healthy kids home under the current situation. again situations can change quickly and I speak about now.

but it is your choice. if you weigh the pros and cons and come to the conclusion that the rules in your school are not strict, the entire family can be home stable financially and emotionally and the kids will be entertained and taught, happy and distracted than GEZINDEHAIT- but generally speaking I think this is very difficult to achieve.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:58 pm
How is my learning disabled first grader year old supposed to learn? She needs a lot of therapies to keep her at pace and it is scary to watching her slip. Skills that she had last winter are now lost. Someone getting COVID is easy to see. You can't physically see the toll this is doing on mental health. But yes you are right my kid should not learn to write her own name until this all blows over, if she is ten so be it, it was for the greater good. These shut downs are having massive negative effects on kids mental/academic and social health. The problem is that we can't put a number on it like we put on covid cases.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:02 pm
Personally almost everyone I know IRL says they want all shuls closed ASAP. I'm talking about Chassidishe, ultra frum people in the NY area. They say that the davening Yom Tov on Pesach was the nicest ever, and it would be amazing to everyone davening outdoors on their porches this sukkos for the greater good. Almost everyone I know personally knows someone who is sick with COVID19 right now and know of many people who are receiving oxygen at home or are in the hospital. I know of some people who attended shul on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur while sick with COVID19 (and this is obviously a minority, but indicates a serious problem/risk), including symptoms. Some people in such circumstances are sending their kids to school, while others keep them home. The concensus is, if you cannot get people to behave responsibly, and the situation is what it is right now, you need to force the compliance. I personally think schools should be open and they are closing in 4 days and believe shuls could stay open with masks, but I know I cannot rely on people to wear the masks without extreme pressure from on top. These people will go to shul if they are open, but will feel respect if they are closed.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:08 pm
OP, until what end should everything shut down? It’s not about flattening the curve anymore right? So should life just stop for the next few years? I don’t think this is going anywhere too soon unfortunately unless Mashiach comes, which I daven for everyday. Do you really think we should live in lockdown for the next few years? I listen to the rules, and I was pretty strict overall the first time around. But I don’t think lockdown and isolation are long term answers.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
OP, until what end should everything shut down? It’s not about flattening the curve anymore right? So should life just stop for the next few years? I don’t think this is going anywhere too soon unfortunately unless Mashiach comes, which I daven for everyday. Do you really think we should live in lockdown for the next few years? I listen to the rules, and I was pretty strict overall the first time around. But I don’t think lockdown and isolation are long term answers.

I think the issue is that the answers that prevent a lockdown, which are masks in public places and no large events, are being ignored by many communities. That's a legitimate concern. And here we are, a few days before sukkos, where thousands of people will be placed into one room together for hours without masks (as of now) and where some few people who are knowingly sick and symtomatic are attending with the potential to superspread to those still vulnerable to infection. How is that something that you can push aside and ignore? Also, a few hospitals are currently overwhelmed in NYC, but I cannot comment on the extend to which they are. We need community compliance with simple ordinance of not going out in public when ill (and also not immediate contacts) and wearing masks.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
How is my learning disabled first grader year old supposed to learn? She needs a lot of therapies to keep her at pace and it is scary to watching her slip. Skills that she had last winter are now lost. Someone getting COVID is easy to see. You can't physically see the toll this is doing on mental health. But yes you are right my kid should not learn to write her own name until this all blows over, if she is ten so be it, it was for the greater good. These shut downs are having massive negative effects on kids mental/academic and social health. The problem is that we can't put a number on it like we put on covid cases.

There is no reason to shut down your school; however, your neighbors choices to attend a large event while sick with COVID19 or community's choice to laugh at masks is what is putting your child's education at risk. There is no reason to have a lockdown ever again. It's a poor public health measure that is not scientifically supported. You need compliance with recommended public health measures though.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:16 pm
Cobalt, do you live in the US? Not letting parents decide whether or not to send their own children to school (if the school is open) sounds very odd to me, if you're American. (I realize that different cultures have different attitudes about this though)

My kids aren't scared, they barely even know what's going on. They seem to like being home, although they also seemed to like being in school. I think every situation is unique.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ofcoarse shuls should be shut down, I think we need full lockdown.

Yiddishkeit NEVER shuts down. Schools and shuls closed back in March to flatten the curve which was the right thing to do but shouldnt have been mroe than 2-4 weeks. every doctor and smart human can tell you the virus WONT disappear if we lock down! The hostipals are not overwhelmed and there is no reason to shut down. People under rhe age of 50 are 10x mroe likely to die from the flu than covid.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Yiddishkeit NEVER shuts down. Schools and shuls closed back in March to flatten the curve which was the right thing to do but shouldnt have been mroe than 2-4 weeks. every doctor and smart human can tell you the virus WONT disappear if we lock down! The hostipals are not overwhelmed and there is no reason to shut down. People under rhe age of 50 are 10x mroe likely to die from the flu than covid.

Torah living never shuts down. That's right.

Sometimes schools and shuls do, for good reasons.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

Mt. Sinai is overwhlemed right now due to an influx of COVID19 patients. Today a 46 yr old was taken there by Hatzolah at 2:00 and at 11:00 am still had not received water or been given a real room. I don't know the condition of other hospitals but this is a concerning report.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics