Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can we stop referring to this as "waves"

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:26 pm
There's no second wave or third wave. The media is infuriating me, because anyone with an infectious disease background will tell you that these aren't waves. This is a continual slow burn, sometimes flare ups, but always in the background.

A wave refers to a virus that has receded and then has come back. Covid has never left. It is not the flu, it does not go by the seasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....virus

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-7

(Oh look, they copied my analogy)

https://www.wired.com/story/do.....-flu/

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:11 am
Sorry but when there is a wave in the ocean, the water doesn’t disappear, it just recedes.

Einikel

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:32 am
Yes! It’s a pet peeve of mine!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:40 am
Can we stop policing the use of language? It's all arbitrary anyway. There is no inherently correct usage.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:11 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Can we stop policing the use of language? It's all arbitrary anyway. There is no inherently correct usage.

It is if you're a professional. Unless you like your doctor telling you that your thingie has a boo boo.

People use the word "wave" to indicate that somehow Covid went away and now it's back and more dangerous than ever. It's not. It never went away. It won't go away if we stay inside and wait for it to pass. It will still be there, which is why lockdown isn't a measure to make it disappear, it's a measure to slow it.

The word wave is a weapon to scare people into compliance in a specific form.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:15 am
I thought wave referred to the way it looks on a graph: Curve up...curve down...curve up... curve down... if the pattern indeed continues this way then it would look like a wave.

So if technically a wave means something else, consider it a term used to communicate with the unlettered masses who are following the line graphs in the news.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:19 am
imorethanamother wrote:
It is if you're a professional. Unless you like your doctor telling you that your thingie has a boo boo.

A doctor saying a thingie has a boo boo is not specific enough and doesn't give me any useful information. The issue isn't that it's not correct. "A part of your body has an issue" would be correct, but it would still be vague and unhelpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics