Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Flaxseed?

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 1:37 pm
Does anyone have any idea what can be made with flaxseed? My husband bought me a whole bag by mistake and I wouldn't like to throw it out but I have never even seen flaxseed in my life, let alone made anything with it.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 1:39 pm
Where'd he find it? Was it in a regular grocery store? I was looking for that stuff.

I have a bread machine recipe that uses it.

princessmommy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 1:42 pm
you can make flaxseed crackers. you can add them into muffins, breads...baked goods. They are great for the digestive system. You can also grind them and add them to food.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:03 pm
what does it taste like?

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:25 pm
IT IS VERY HEALTHY. IT IS GOOD FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT OR IF A PERSON IS CONSTIPATED

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:51 pm
MMEC123 wrote:
Where'd he find it? Was it in a regular grocery store? I was looking for that stuff.

He bought it in the supermarket (the clerk convinced him it's the same thing as sesame seeds, which is what I had asked him to get) but since I live in Europe, I doubt that this is useful information for you.

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:52 pm
princessmommy wrote:
you can make flaxseed crackers.

Do you have a recipe for these?

chavamom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 3:19 pm
Sarah - it is very good for you. Keep it in the freezer and you can grind up a few tablespoons in a coffee grinder or blender to add good oils and fiber to anything you bake. I put some in smoothies too. If you do a websearch, there are a lot of recipes that contain flax seed meal (ground up flax seed). It is very healthy for pregnant/nursing women and children. The beneficial oils support brain growth.

lucy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 11:42 pm
super healthy for you - which I'm sure you could have guessed by all the post!

Though I have heard that it loses some of it's properties when exposed to high temperatures = baking! If you want to be able to absorb it best grind it, can use a coffee grinder (think someone suggested that) and just add it to your cereal or milk in the morning (1TBSP). I used to make a lot of shakes milk,banana, yogurt,& a 1 TBSP of grounded flax seed.
It has a bit of nutty taste but very slight.

princessmommy

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 2:53 am
Not an exact recipie. The idea is to soak them overnight-the water turns into a gel-then the seeds stick together. drain h2o, then add seasoningd-whatever you like-I have done apple, onion with salt... then bake. Sorry, not sure how long....or exact info.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 4:02 am
Thanks for all the responses. I don't own a coffee grinder and my blender broke about a year and a half ago and I haven't gotten around to repairing/replacing it, so grinding the seeds seems to be out for now, but I will try out using the seeds on baked stuff, and maybe try those crackers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics