Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Whats the easiest shlock to make, for the very not handy?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:39 am
The traditional sukkah stars are very much not waterproofable.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:43 am
I grew up with a perfect shlock. But I think my father may be the one person in the world who has perfected it. Which is interesting because I never thought of him as particularly handy. My husband couldn’t figure it out. We do have an awning but it’s too low for the sukka.
To the mother yelling about waterproofing decorations, I hang those on the wall of the house that’s under a slight overhang, but it’s not perfect and sometimes they still get ruined. Not sure why teachers are even still making non waterproof decorations.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:23 am
I don't care so much about the ruined paper decorations, but what about those electric thingamajigs and the sukkah lights with all the extension wires? Is it safe to let it get wet?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:34 am
Genius wrote:
That’s what you have a broom for. You employ the upstairs neighbor to guide you and from the inside you punch punch punch until the bowch is gone. You will get drenched, in case you were wondering about your own safety during the fix-the-shlak mission

OMG, this was me and my husband at 3 AM this morning, in pajamas, soaked from trying to rescue our "highly pregnant" tarp from destroying the schach Can't Believe It

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:39 am
So interesting about these threads on the sukkah shlock, don't think most people in any where I've lived have this! We try to weatherproof the decorations as much as possible, stick a plastic over the table if we are aware of the rain, otherwise sukkos definitely involves a lot of wiping off wet chairs and tables. Even my inlaws who have a custom sukkah that attaches perfectly to their house don't have a shlock for the rain. I'm trying to think if I've actually never seen one. Where is this so common? Eretz Yisrael?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:52 am
Not in israel. Here we just daven that it doesn't rain.

Sometimes we get some drizzle, and occasionally a short lived storm, but many years Sukkot is completely dry, and we're trying to find the best arrangement of fans to keep the sukkah reasonably cool.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:04 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Wow!
My 15 yr old son nearly had a nervous breakdown (chv) from trying for a week to put together a shlock. I fianally told him to look at himself in the mirror and he'll see a real shlock (it was a joke. He did not take it well.) It took half an hour of therapizing him to convince him it's not worth it. Everyone has their strengths and talents, and carpentry is not his.
I'm soooooo glad to see I'm not alone!!!

My son is still dreaming of his. Hasn’t happened yet but he is determined still.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
So interesting about these threads on the sukkah shlock, don't think most people in any where I've lived have this! We try to weatherproof the decorations as much as possible, stick a plastic over the table if we are aware of the rain, otherwise sukkos definitely involves a lot of wiping off wet chairs and tables. Even my inlaws who have a custom sukkah that attaches perfectly to their house don't have a shlock for the rain. I'm trying to think if I've actually never seen one. Where is this so common? Eretz Yisrael?

In countries where it rains a lot, people need to have a shlock. We did without for a few years and it was NOT fun. For example: it would stop raining just before kiddush - we would go outside but the schach would still be dripping. Everything becomes wet. After every meal, you need to take out all the chairs etc... And even "weatherproof" decorations look kinda sad after the 10th shower.

Now we have an awning. It's the best. We can use it in the summer and we don't have to install anything before sukkos - it's right there. It takes zero effort to open and close and doesn't let in a drop of rain. It really changed our yom tov.

We are not handy at all, so we asked a handyman to place it. I think the installation cost us about 150 dollars, plus a few hundred for the awning. Money well spent.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:31 am
Succos very much coincides with hurricane season on the east coast. it rains almost every year. it rained yesterday, will continue to rain today, will rain on friday, and again on monday....

myself

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:26 am
We're shlock-less this year too. After lots of money and frustration our would-be schlock became hazardous and had to be removed. Although we usually do have a schlock decorations still inevitably get wet so I do serious weather-proofing to anything that will hang in the sukkah.

IME, the best way to weather-proof while still retaining the beauty is:
1. Get some heavy plastic, like reusable plastic tablecloth and a roll of sticky plastic.
2. Both should be cut just a little bigger than your decoration.
3. Cover the front with the non-sticky plastic and seal the back with the sticky plastic, making sure it's stuck well on all sides surrounding the decoration.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:46 am
What’s sticky plastic?

Fave

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
What’s sticky plastic?

Contact paper used to cover books
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics