Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
The home edit vs minimalism vs Kan Mari
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:28 pm
Ok, so I've been into minimalism a couple months back and now watching the home edit on Netflix and its really pulling me in. From those of you who have organized homes what is your take on the best organizing methods.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 6:29 pm
I just saw the simplifized course advertised. Anyone has experience with it and was happy?

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:09 pm
Best method for home organizing, as for contraception, is the one that works for you and that you can live with long-term.

I have read probably every organizing book written in the past 40 years. (I exaggerate, but only slightly. ) from each I learn a smidgen, from each I adopt a bit. some I adopt and then discard because they sound good at first but ultimately I can't keep them up.

When something works, I stick to it until it no longer works. Then I get rid of it. yes, you can have "organizing clutter" too--it just lives in your head.

Your house is always going to be a work in progress. You never organize once and never again because things change over time. Presumably Marie Kondo learned this when she had kids. What works when you're a newlywed doesn't when you have three kids under four, or four in college, or are an empty nester contemplating retirement, or a retiree with mobility problems and an aide.

my main principles are as follows:
1. Purge early and often.
2. Refuse free stuff unless you have an immediate and urgent need for it.
3. When the box /closet/trunk/shoebag/drawer/shelf is full, an old thing must go out before a new one comes in.
4. Shop seldom, launder often.
5. Don't buy storybooks, that's what libraries are for.
6. Don't hold on to things you hate just because of who made it or gave it to you. (I confess this one is hard for me. We have a few works of 'art' on our walls that I yearn to get rid of, but can't as long as soandso is alive and capable of visiting us and asking where it is.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:48 am
I loved the home edit, not so much the color thing but the "everything should have a place" idea. And I loved the containers idea. I actually went out and bought some containers and tidied up under my kitchen sink that had been a bomb for years. It helped in my food and other house supplies pantry as well.
But I also love purging every once in a while. I think, in keeping tidy, less is always more.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:51 am
My take on the best organizing method is to live by yourself. Punch Punch Punch Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:54 am
I love Marie Kondo. There is something about her that is really non-threatening.

I have some mild hoarding tendencies, and I can have some pretty serious panic attacks when it comes to getting rid of things I haven't used in years. I'm also really sentimental.

Watching her, I didn't feel defensive or nervous, and I was able to thin out and organize a LOT of stuff, and happily donate the good quality things to gemachim.

I still have a long way to go (my machsan is stuffed to the rafters), but for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm actually in control of my stuff, instead of my stuff being in control of me.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:01 am
I like how Marie kondo thanks things before tossing them. That really helps me. I can more easily let go of any emotional connection to the item.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I loved the home edit, not so much the color thing but the "everything should have a place" idea. And I loved the containers idea. I actually went out and bought some containers and tidied up under my kitchen sink that had been a bomb for years. It helped in my food and other house supplies pantry as well.
But I also love purging every once in a while. I think, in keeping tidy, less is always more.

Me too. Got my freezer in order with 3 containers. Can't figure out why I never thought of it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Me too. Got my freezer in order with 3 containers. Can't figure out why I never thought of it.

Marie Kondo got me using boxes and dividers, and I love how she has no shame in using old shoe boxes or pieces of cardboard. She doesn't tell you to go and buy all these fancy color coordinated baskets, spending extra money when you probably already have what you need in the home.

I covered my cardboard boxes in contact paper, just because it makes me happy, but it doesn't make them any more functional. I just happened to have extra contact paper laying around, and I didn't have any other use for it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
same Smile so easy and obvious Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Marie Kondo got me using boxes and dividers, and I love how she has no shame in using old shoe boxes or pieces of cardboard. She doesn't tell you to go and buy all these fancy color coordinated baskets, spending extra money when you probably already have what you need in the home.

I covered my cardboard boxes in contact paper, just because it makes me happy, but it doesn't make them any more functional. I just happened to have extra contact paper laying around, and I didn't have any other use for it.
I dont buy anything fancy. If I had boxes at home, I would use what I have. I went to the local hardware store and bought 15 shekel boxes, simple, serves its purpose, and cheap. Just their ideas were good ones Smile

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:32 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I love Marie Kondo. There is something about her that is really non-threatening.

I have some mild hoarding tendencies, and I can have some pretty serious panic attacks when it comes to getting rid of things I haven't used in years. I'm also really sentimental.

Watching her, I didn't feel defensive or nervous, and I was able to thin out and organize a LOT of stuff, and happily donate the good quality things to gemachim.

I still have a long way to go (my machsan is stuffed to the rafters), but for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm actually in control of my stuff, instead of my stuff being in control of me.

So interesting. My mother is a hoarder (actually, not exaggerating, I think bc she has a lot of childhood trauma) and I never thought she would ever throw anything away. But she liked Marie Kondo, too.

For OP, I've watched them both. I have ADHD, so organizing is both really important for me and really hard for me. The most helpful thing I've learned is being willing to admit when something isn't working for you, whatever the system is. (I like parts of Kondo and parts of home edit 🤷‍♀️)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:39 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
So interesting. My mother is a hoarder (actually, not exaggerating, I think bc she has a lot of childhood trauma) and I never thought she would ever throw anything away. But she liked Marie Kondo, too.

For OP, I've watched them both. I have ADHD, so organizing is both really important for me and really hard for me. The most helpful thing I've learned is being willing to admit when something isn't working for you, whatever the system is. (I like parts of Kondo and parts of home edit 🤷‍♀️)

When I was 16 I was homeless, and only had the clothes on my back and a light jacket. When I got put into foster care, I only had a couple changes of clothes, and the other girls would take them. Some days I'd be getting ready to go to school, just to find out that my shoes had walked out the door on someone else's feet. Even my underwear wasn't safe. I had no security at all.

I tend to like to have all of my "stuff" arranged around me like a bird in a fancy nest. I have to say that working on my emunah and bitachon made a HUGE difference. I had to learn to trust that Hashem would take care of my needs, I just needed to ask Him for them (and always remember to thank Him.)

And I totally hear you about the ADD. I get overwhelmed easily, and it's soooooo hard!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:42 am
I don't subscribe to any particular organizing method, but I have made use of what I heard and read about Mari Kondo's method. It allowed me to do a major purge of my wardrobe and now I pretty much only have clothes I really wear, like, and look good on me. Her spark joy has entered my conscience and while I'm not always so good about following it, has generally allowed me to make more informed purchases or curtail them.

The best part though? DH has ADD and super minor inherited hoarder tendencies. I taught him her idea for thanking things that we're parting with (especially if "I could still use it one more time!!") and it actually made him much more comfortable with giving away or throwing things out.

In general I'm not sure there's a one size fits all organizing method, but I like Marie's a lot.

sub

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:48 am
zaq wrote:
Best method for home organizing, as for contraception, is the one that works for you and that you can live with long-term.

I have read probably every organizing book written in the past 40 years. (I exaggerate, but only slightly. ) from each I learn a smidgen, from each I adopt a bit. some I adopt and then discard because they sound good at first but ultimately I can't keep them up.

When something works, I stick to it until it no longer works. Then I get rid of it. yes, you can have "organizing clutter" too--it just lives in your head.

Your house is always going to be a work in progress. You never organize once and never again because things change over time. Presumably Marie Kondo learned this when she had kids. What works when you're a newlywed doesn't when you have three kids under four, or four in college, or are an empty nester contemplating retirement, or a retiree with mobility problems and an aide.

my main principles are as follows:
1. Purge early and often.
2. Refuse free stuff unless you have an immediate and urgent need for it.
3. When the box /closet/trunk/shoebag/drawer/shelf is full, an old thing must go out before a new one comes in.
4. Shop seldom, launder often.
5. Don't buy storybooks, that's what libraries are for.
6. Don't hold on to things you hate just because of who made it or gave it to you. (I confess this one is hard for me. We have a few works of 'art' on our walls that I yearn to get rid of, but can't as long as soandso is alive and capable of visiting us and asking where it is.)

Best advice and list ever. I am going to print this out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:07 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I watched a few episodes of Marie Kondo and didn't find anything practical. Should I continue watching or buy her book?

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:33 pm
yo'ma wrote:
My take on the best organizing method is to live by yourself. Punch Punch Punch Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Myself plus a maid to clean after me TMI

moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:23 pm
Zaq's first principle, "purge early and often", is something I've found to be so helpful. We all have too much stuff. When there's less stuff, it's easier to keep things neat and organized. There's more ROOM! I still have lots to purge, but I'm getting there! It's a great feeling to get rid of things.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

FF I really identify with this-- I can't afford to hire a personal organizer and if I did I would probably have a borderline panic attack. I don't have Netflix or instagram but I can access youtube if necessary. If I want to try to declutter/organize my house one room at a time, what would you recommend? Does Marie Kondo do this? Is she on youtube? I need some very simple, practical (and inexpensive) guidance. I would invest in some of the most useful container/divider type things if they are really worth it. Especially if they are available at Walmart or Amazon Smile Thanks in advance!!

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:39 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I used wrapping paper!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics