Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
So regret my house purchase :(
Previous  1  2

SacN

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:21 am
I hate to be the one to say this, but I hope I can one day own a home.

And, like everyone here is saying, the old construction +renovation is often in better shape than new construction, even if it looks shiny and bright.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:23 am
It's not always good to buy the only updated/new house in an older neighborhood.
My relatives did that & now they need to sell but no one wants to pay the value of a newer house in an old area.
Also harder to get comps for loans.

carnation

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:42 am
OP, you can rent this house to someone and take a rental elsewhere for yourself. Then when the opportunity comes and you find a better home, use the money you would have used for repairs as a down payment for a better house. Then sell your first house.

No obligation to stay where you don't like. Buying a home is not a marriage.

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:45 am
carnation wrote:
OP, you can rent this house to someone and take a rental elsewhere for yourself. Then when the opportunity comes and you find a better home, use the money you would have used for repairs as a down payment for a better house. Then sell your first house.

No obligation to stay where you don't like. Buying a home is not a marriage.

Any home will still require repairs. If renters are in it and something needs to be fixed, OP will have to pay for that as well. And her house is not unlivable, she is just wishing she had something newer it sounds like.

carnation

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:45 am
Also, Imho, maybe only extremely old homes are better quality.

I've lived in homes built in the 60's and 70's. Absolutely not better or stronger. And the layout is not nearly as nice as newer homes with higher ceiling and larger entry areas.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:10 am
We had buyer's remorse. We moved somewhere that was a hike from our shul. We tried to sell and move closer and for the craziest reasons we couldn't get a single buyer even though it's a good neighborhood. I see now that it was Hashem saving us from a bad decision to move. Now there is a shul opening up on our block and our home is worth so much more than if we had sold back then.

It really is complete hashgacha what you buy, when you buy, and how much you spend. Hashem is completely making these decisions not you even if it doesn't look that way. You would NEVER have gotten that other house. It wasn't for you. This house was for you. Just like you wouldn't wish for someone else's husband or child, the same thing with your house.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:12 am
carnation wrote:
Also, Imho, maybe only extremely old homes are better quality.

I've lived in homes built in the 60's and 70's. Absolutely not better or stronger. And the layout is not nearly as nice as newer homes with higher ceiling and larger entry areas.

The are still better quality. The new homes today look fancy but are falling apart. They are not built well at all.

Old houses don't look as nice though.

STMommy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:16 am
Op, don't underestimate what a big deal it is that when you renovate/upgrade, you get to choose the materials/styles/colors that YOU like.
That is huge.

butternut1

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:31 pm
I just finished a renovation - was in a very similar situation. It was hard work, it was messy and disruptive, but I love the space now and it is better than anything someone else would have designed, because it is to my taste.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:33 pm
Don’t! Do you know the famous medrash that 40 days before you were born, a bas Kol announced your zivug? That bas Kol also announced you parnasah and your diur- your dwelling! So this house was ordained for you in shamayim and exactly where you need to be. So take a deep breath and enjoy it!
If down the line, you really still hate it, you can always sell. But don’t rush into anything yet. Like everyone else said, enjoy fixing it up exactly how you want it. And agreed, a house from 40 years ago can’t compare quality wise to a house from 100 years ago..... but there is still a big difference between a house from 1980 and 2015! I’m sure you got a quality piece of construction.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics